Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skip placement on street

Options
  • 05-06-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

We're planning on getting a skip to dump a few bits, but I'm concerned about where to place one.

We've no garden or even a yard to place a skip, so only option is to have a skip out on the street. I know that some cities require you to have a permit. Would this be the case in cork and if so is it quite expensive?

Anyone have any experience with skip hire in Cork- it'll be a first time for me.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Speak with whoever you are hiring the skip from, i expect that they should be able to answer that query.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'd be more concerned that everyone will have it filled before you can look away.............

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

TheDriver wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned that everyone will have it filled before you can look away.............

I was thinking likewise. Fortunately we have everything ready to go, so should have that filled up within the hour ourselves :)
    kub wrote: »
    Speak with whoever you are hiring the skip from, i expect that they should be able to answer that query.

Thanks, I'll have a go at that later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

There used to be a form on the City Council website - but I can't find it.

I did spot this though - http://www.corkcity.ie/media/Pedestrian%20Safety%20Leaflet%20updated%20August%202013.pdf

It might be worth ringing the number on the bottom of the leaflet...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

Don't bother with a permit. I was in a similar situation to yourself. I got the skip delivered early in the morning, parked it on the street, filled it up quickly and had it picked up in the afternoon. The skip company won't care about a permit as long as they get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I don't think you need a permit but not too sure. but agree above, I know the pub across the road and the neighbours got one and well lets say the other neighbours filled it for them. Wouldn't mind if they asked but they didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Xzen wrote: »
    We're planning on getting a skip to dump a few bits, but I'm concerned about where to place one.

We've no garden or even a yard to place a skip, so only option is to have a skip out on the street. I know that some cities require you to have a permit. Would this be the case in cork and if so is it quite expensive?

Anyone have any experience with skip hire in Cork- it'll be a first time for me.

A licence is required to place a skip on a public road/footpath. The Skip Operator has to apply for the licence and applications for a licence must be submitted a minimum of 14 days prior to the proposed commencement of works.

The Application Fee is € 110 and, if successful, the charges then apply:

Placement on footpaths €30.00/day or part thereof
    Placement in Disc Parking Space €20.00/day or part thereof (1 Hour Parking Zone)
    Placement on Enhanced Surface €400 per square meter occupied by Skip (Refundable Deposit)

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/roadsforms/

evilivor wrote: »
    A licence is required to place a skip on a public road/footpath. The Skip Operator has to apply for the licence and applications for a licence must be submitted a minimum of 14 days prior to the proposed commencement of works.

The Application Fee is € 110 and, if successful, the charges then apply:

Placement on footpaths €30.00/day or part thereof
    Placement in Disc Parking Space €20.00/day or part thereof (1 Hour Parking Zone)
    Placement on Enhanced Surface €400 per square meter occupied by Skip (Refundable Deposit)

I wouldn't worry about any of that to be honest and I don't think the skip company would either. As long as you get it in and out quickly there shouldn't be any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

MrRight1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about any of that to be honest and I don't think the skip company would either. As long as you get it in and out quickly there shouldn't be any problems.

That's the spirit - don't worry about regulations or inconveniencing anyone else - sure it's easier to ask for forgiveness that to ask for permission. That's what made this country great.

That's the spirit - don't worry about regulations or inconveniencing anyone else - sure it's easier to ask for forgiveness that to ask for permission. That's what made this country great.

Obviously you would use a bit of common sense and not put the skip somewhere that would cause an obstruction. I don't think a skip parked where a car might legally be for a couple of hours is going to cause the city to grind to a halt. Sure if we had to fill out forms everytime we were supposed to we'd never get anything done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

That's one mighty high horse you're looking down upon us sinners , I'm sure you've never ever so much as even thought of breaking any type of rule.

We're beyond lucky to have someone offer judgement on others :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Thanks for the feedback all.

After checking around the place, it seems getting a skip is fiercely expensive/time-consuming/controversial task in Cork. However, a friend suggested a man-in-a-van dealie which sounds like a better idea on this occasion.

Advertisement