Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Kos new 5 yr deal brilliant

So this summer we changed our coaching set up, tied down kos and tommy to long term deals

Signed two quality forwards

To me this is a very good summer and two more signings could make it a great summer

Tips hat to the club massive changes to last year, happy gunner here

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cazorla in for van Persie would leave us in great shape. Hope it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Cazorla in for van Persie would leave us in great shape. Hope it happens.

he looks good, but not world class. we already have too any of these players tbh

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No we don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭batistuta9

just a reminder the game today's on ESPN, same with all the pre-season matches, KO @ 2:45

will diaby play? or survive if he does

EDIT: he is going to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

No we don't.

too many average/decent players? i think the squad is full of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Giroud
    Podolski Walcott
    Cazorla
    Song Wilshere

Would be a pretty impressive midfield/attack combination imo.

replace Song with Arteta though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

darego wrote: »
    too many average/decent players? i think the squad is full of them

We don't have many players of Cazorlas quality in our squad and he would be a great signing.

Terms agreed with Cazorla, articles an hour old
    Arsenal agree terms with Santi Cazorla from troubled Málaga
    • Spain winger hopes to join Premier League club
    • Arsène Wenger hopes €20m offer will be accepted

Sid Lowe and David Hytner
    The Guardian, Tuesday 24 July 2012

The Spain winger Santi Cazorla has agreed terms to join Arsenal and leave Málaga this summer. Arsène Wenger is keen to sign Cazorla, whom he monitored last summer, and he is hopeful that an offer of €20m (£15.6m) can close the deal with a basic agreement in place with the player.

Negotiations have taken place between the clubs and, although Málaga's initial response was to point to Cazorla's €45m buy-out clause and effectively discourage Arsenal's interest, the Spanish club's worrying financial situation, which could see them relegated if they do not pay outstanding debts, might force them to sell.

Arsenal's summer business has been overshadowed by the Robin van Persie saga, with the captain intent on leaving the Emirates Stadium. Manchester United, Manchester City and Juventus have made bids, which have been rejected by Arsenal, who will hold out for at least £20m, and the race for his signature is hotting up.

Juventus have been back in contact with Arsenal and they have indicated that they will pay close to the £20m asking price while they could also offer Van Persie an extraordinary contract worth £190,000 a week after tax. Arsenal, if pushed, would prefer to sell to an overseas club but they are preparing for an improved offer from United. Both Manchester clubs have so far offered about £12m.

Wenger has already signed the strikers Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud and the addition of Cazorla would give him another attacking option. He is expected to sell Andrey Arshavin, with clubs in the middle east having expressed an interest, but he would still have Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gervinho in wide areas, although he has experimented with the latter through the middle in pre-season training.

Cazorla wants to leave Málaga, the club he joined for €19m last summer from Villarreal, after wages went unpaid during the campaign and promises were broken. The 27-year-old has told Málaga of his intention to depart and he has also spoken to Arsenal to tell them he is keen on joining them.

Málaga may facilitate the move but the power vacuum and inertia at the club means that the future is uncertain. If Málaga's Qatari owner, Sheikh Abdullah Bin Nasser Al-Thani, does not inject more money, the sale of Cazorla would represent the swiftest way for the Spanish club to cover their debts. If Málaga do not settle those debts by 31 July they face relegation to Second Division B and the loss of their Uefa licence and Champions League participation.

Considering the wealth of the owners and the more than €150m poured into the club over the past two years, Málaga's inertia is baffling. Theoretically, al-Thani could resolve the crisis at a stroke. Sources at the club say that his methods are "different" and that they would not be surprised if the money turned up at the last minute but they cannot count on that. While the debt is outstanding, the Spanish league will not allow them to make any signings.

Cazorla is one of four players, alongside Ruud van Nistelrooy, Salomón Rondón and Joris Mathijsen, who threatened to make a formal complaint against Málaga during a meeting with the president of the Spanish players' union, the AFE, José Luis Rubiales, on 13 July.

After the meeting, Rubiales insisted that an "important" amount of money was still owed to some players but that others had been paid in full. The club reassured the players but, if a lasting agreement is not reached, a meeting can be scheduled on 25 July between the AFE, on the players' behalf, and the LFP (La Liga), on behalf of the club, to reach a resolution.

Villarreal claim Málaga also owe the €3.5m outstanding on the sale of Cazorla, while the Spanish tax authorities are demanding almost €7m. Public debt is not unusual for Spanish clubs but Miguel Cardenal, the president of the Supreme Sports Council, the CSD, introduced a new zero-tolerance policy in April. Both the league and the AFE signed the agreement, according to which clubs with outstanding debts other than previously accrued debts for which payment plans have already been agreed, face automatic relegation.

Since buying the club and becoming president, Al-Thani has invested over €60m in playersand taken Málaga to Champions League qualification for the first time. Now, though, there is silence. Neither the owner nor his vice-president are currently in Spain, as has been the case for much of the last year, leaving Málaga in limbo. José Carlos Pérez, the club's consejero, essentially the man running the day-to-day business, died in the spring and the general manager, Fernando Hierro, who had been forced to intervene last season when players had gone unpaid, resigned saying he was no longer "comfortable" in his role.

Meanwhile the Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner is in talks with Galatasaray.

EDIT: Link http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/23/arsenal-santi-cazorla-malaga?newsfeed=true

• Advertisement

He's 5'6"

:(

We need height!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

batistuta9 wrote: »
    just a reminder the game today's on ESPN, same with all the pre-season matches, KO @ 2:45

will diaby play? or survive if he does

EDIT: he is going to play

Cheers for the reminder, I forgot I can set my sky thingy to record from my phone. This gives me the first chance ever to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

WTF is going on with Malaga? Had hopes of them splashing serious money and eventually mixing it with the big boys. Oh well, great signing for Arsenal.

He's 5'6"

:(

We need height!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I'd have put in more only i'm not allowed

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Cheers for the reminder, I forgot I can set my sky thingy to record from my phone. This gives me the first chance ever to use it.

It's repeated tonight sometime too, 8 i think, if that doesn't work properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

From what I saw of him last season, Carzola seems superb - Sid Lowe called him the best player in Spain outside of Barca and Real and thats serious praise!

Would give us great options as I believe he can play through the middle or wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Let's hope we don't **** this up like we did with Mata.

Fantastic to see Kos signing a new contract too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If we sign Cazorla, I genuinely won't mind seeing van Persie leave and will even have some optimism for the forthcoming season. Great piece of business too if £15.5m is what we pay in the end, they paid £18.5m for him last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7930087/Malaga-play-down-Cazorla-talk

Lets hope they are using the same tactic Arsenal use before they eventually sell players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

dvemail wrote: »
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7930087/Malaga-play-down-Cazorla-talk

Lets hope they are using the same tactic Arsenal use before they eventually sell players.

Jamie Dalton and Rory Smith(both very reliable) seem convinced Malaga won't sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

amiable wrote: »
    Jamie Dalton and Rory Smith(both very reliable) seem convinced Malaga won't sell

Their hand may be forced - this from ESPN

Under rules introduced in April, the club has until July 25 to respond to the claims and until the end of the month to reach an agreement with the players in question. Failure to do so could see them relegated and thrown out of the Champions League.

Cazorla joined Malaga from Villarreal in a €19 million deal last summer but, after a season hit by financial issues including the non-payment of wages and bonuses, he has voiced a desire to leave. Villarreal claim they are still owed money on his transfer fee.

Malaga may need to sell him because - unless the club's Qatari owners provide a cash injection - the transfer fee brought in would represent the quickest way of settling the debts. While the debts are outstanding, the club is allowed to sell but not sign players.

Andip wrote: »
    Their hand may be forced - this from ESPN

Under rules introduced in April, the club has until July 25 to respond to the claims and until the end of the month to reach an agreement with the players in question. Failure to do so could see them relegated and thrown out of the Champions League.

Cazorla joined Malaga from Villarreal in a €19 million deal last summer but, after a season hit by financial issues including the non-payment of wages and bonuses, he has voiced a desire to leave. Villarreal claim they are still owed money on his transfer fee.

Malaga may need to sell him because - unless the club's Qatari owners provide a cash injection - the transfer fee brought in would represent the quickest way of settling the debts. While the debts are outstanding, the club is allowed to sell but not sign players.

To be honest I'd believe Rory Smith over ESPN any day.
    He genuinely knows his stuff and although he's just giving an opinion he's generally right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I remember this time last season a lot of fans and pundits were saying we should ditch kos for Chris samba

Yeah that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

While I do welcome Cazorla we still need a striker if/when RVP leaves. Any more on the Niang link?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,392 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Feck, in the last ten minutes I've gone from joy to dismay over the Cozorla stuff. If the financial situation is as bad as it sounds they'll have to sell surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

amiable wrote: »
    To be honest I'd believe Rory Smith over ESPN any day.
    He genuinely knows his stuff and although he's just giving an opinion he's generally right. :)

True although I think ESPN were more churning out the financial aspect of it & in fairness Rory Smith has said that he 'Suspect it all depends on the al-Thanis."

I guess the bottom line is that if they don't want to inject more cash, the deal 'could' be on & maybe even the player himself is in the dark

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Feck, in the last ten minutes I've gone from joy to dismay over the Cozorla stuff. If the financial situation is as bad as it sounds they'll have to sell surely?

I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal told Malaga to keep quiet on things Cazorla until the deal is done knowing how quiet Arsene likes to keep these things.
    Probably just in case Sp*rs decide to bid. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Mickeroo wrote: »

They have someone who could give them the money and solve all problems instantly. It seems to be a bit 50:50 whether he actually will or not.

AykeZ0ECcAE5jFF.jpg

• Advertisement

Man his head is huge. Pretty good shop though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement