Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spelling of Dublin accent fcukin' ?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am writing my second book for publishing on KDP.

I have a major character living in London and in particularly important scenes he is prone to use the word fcuk to intimidate the other character.

(Jeez the censorship on Boards is ridiculous I can't even spell out a word that every person over the age of 6 uses on a daily basis !!)

So he has a strong Dublin accent and therefore doesn't say the 'ing at the end of the word. What is the best way to write it ? "fcukin" or "fcukin'"

For an international readership.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Have a read through a few of the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books. Paul Howard captures the various Dublin accents pretty accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I don't have any of his books ...I was hoping to get some help here in the forum.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My preference is for the apostrophe, but I don't think it matters a whole lot.

Personally I hate the way the RO'CK books write accents. Loike, so annoying, roysh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Das Kitty wrote: »
    My preference is for the apostrophe, but I don't think it matters a whole lot.
    My first thought was that the apostrophe might help non Irish people realise what the full word was.
    Personally I hate the way the RO'CK books write accents. Loike, so annoying, roysh.

Yes .. me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Piliger wrote: »
    My first thought was that the apostrophe might help non Irish people realise what the full word was.

I'm curious - is your target audience comprised of the children of a previously uncontacted tribe living deep within the Amazon jungle?

• Advertisement
Advertisement