Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-publishing

Options
  • 10-09-2014 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have written a shortish book -- stodgy historical/political stuff -- definitely not bestseller territory. I am thinking of going down the self-publishing route and have checked out Lulu publishing and originalwriting.ie.
    Any thoughts/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I've used Grosvenor House Publishing in England - cheap and efficient.

Google it as I can't post links yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Do you have to see it in print? Your best bet is probably Amazon Direct, (KDP) especially for a non-fiction book. Then think about print on demand if you do need an occasional print copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bookreader

I've used lulu.com and found them great. I haven't researched any of the others though. From Lulu you can get your book onto amazon etc., but money made is so so small!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

No need to go to Lulu, go direct to Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The only money in self-publishing is to do everything yourself - write, edit, proof read, distribute (avoid robbing wholesalers like the plague), invoice shops directly, chase for payment, collect returns - but it's not for the faint hearted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 bookreader

Thank you EileenG. Actually I think no matter what we do in life, whatever path we take, it isn't for the faint hearted, Judgement Day. It's one's passion that drives us further and further along the path!! I do think you are correct in what you say about doing it all yourself. For me, I don't want a publisher telling me what is good or bad, right or wrong in my book. It will get to those who need to read it, at some stage, at the right time for me and them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I've had a bit of experience self publishing and a few things I learned which might help others.

Try to sell as many of the books yourself. Shops and wholesalers can be very frustrating to deal with. They won't pay you until they sell out all your books. If you give them 10 books and 8 or 9 of them sell quickly, but the last book just won't shift, they won't pay you until it sells. Chasing them for payment can also be a nightmare. Some pay promptly, some don't want to know when it comes to paying.

If you can organise a book launch and sell books that way, do. If you can set up a facebook page and sell the books directly yourself do. Likewise setting up an Amazon page.

Self publishing is hard work but there is a degree of satisfaction in getting your book out there. When you see some of the rubbish mainstream publishers publish and some of the excellent self published books, you just know that self publishing is gaining in respect.

Also, the Irish book market is quite small, so don't expect to sell more than a couple hundred books.

There is very little money if any to be made in any form of publishing a book in Ireland except for a lucky elite. If you break even in self publishing, you would probably be considered a success! It's a hobby at the end of the day and usually an expensive one!

Advertisement