Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gigablue Quad

• 21-09-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

http://www.gigablue.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75&Itemid=37&lang=en
    GigaBlue HD QUAD
    Hybrid- HDTV Linux Receiver
    DVB-S/S2, DVB-C/C2, DVB-T, IPTV, HBBTV

Brand new HD receiver sets new standards
    The Gigablue Quad - execution leaves nothing to be desired.
    2 built-in DVB-S2 tuners allow an independent twin use. About
    two more tuner slots offer the possibility of the receiver
    to expand any DVB-T or DVB-C2 and combine. The
    strong processor offers the viewer a high resolution pictures
    and a never experienced rapid change-over time. A further special
    Characteristic of the GIGABLUE QUAD is the linking of TV and the Internet

Special features:
    Multi media archive for video and audio over network
    LCD Display ( coloured)
    EPG up to 14 days
    HDMI CEC control
    PiP (Picture in picture)
    Integrated UPnP Server /-clinet function
    Web Browser
    Netzwerk-Interface Streaming-function
    Plugin service (extensions)
    Software update via network
    Settings over Pluginservice
    UFScontrol - Plugin for Iphone and Android Smartphones
    IP TV, IP Radio
    2 x DVB-S/S2 und 2 x Plug&Play Tuner Modul Socket
    Features:
    Integrated HDTV twin tuner for satellite reception
    2 x Plug & Play Hybrid Tuner Optional
    Record up to 4 HDTV programs and an other HD look show.
    Reception of free and PAY TV channels (2 CI-Schnittstellen and 1 Cardreader)
    HDTV PVR with e-SATA or USB, Multimedia Archive for image, video and music files
    Timeshift ( time shifting)
    Timer-Records (Once, daily, weekly, etc.)
    EPG function, EPG search, picture in picture, EPG, timer, Favorites
    OSD in many languages, DISEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, Unicable, Usuals
    Playback of multimedia files such as MP3, JPEGs and videos in HD quality
    Electronic Program Guide(EPG)
    Connectivity to external devices, such as e.g. a digital camera, external hard drive, and much more. (3xUSB, LAN)
    Optical output for crystal-clear cinema sound
    Specifications:

Processor / Mhz Mipsel / 1300 Mhz
    Linux Kernel Kernel 3.x.x
    DDRSDRAM / Flash DDR3 1024MB / 512MB NAND
    Front Panel

LCD LCD Display 2inch Color
    Frontkeys 8 Buttons
    CI Slot 2 x CI
    Card Reader 1x Cardreader
    USB 1x USB
    Rear Panel
    Tuner DVB-S/S2 Twin input
    Optional Tuner
    2 x Plug in Play DVB-C/T(Option)
    HDMI 1 x HDMI
    USB 2 x USB
    S/PDIF 1 x Optical
    3x2 RCA
    Component, Composite, L, R
    Ethernet Ethernet 100/1000 MBit
    E-SATA E-SATA
    RS-232 RS-232
    Power Jack And
    Power Switch 1 Switch
    Internal
    E-SATA E-SATA
    Accessories
    Remotcontrol
    Gigablue Remotcontrol
    Remotcontrol + Keyboard (Optional)
    GigaBlue myth RCU Universal Keyboard
    Tuner (Optional)
    Hybrid (DVB-C / DVB-T

Pics and vids here http://gigablue-support.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2977

Looks like there's going to be an optional DVB-S2 coming first quarter next year.
    I want 3 x DVB-S2 and 1 x DVB-T, for my perfect box. Too many time my wife has been recording two things at the same time. The single DVB-T will do until there is a second mux.
    Only downside I can see is the only 2.5" internal hard drive. Hopefully a 3.5" will squeeze in somehow.

Starts shipping in about two weeks. VIX image too :)

Definitely getting this for Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Have to register to see the pages can you get a few screen grabs??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

RogerThis wrote: »
    Pics and vids here http://gigablue-support.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2977

Looks like there's going to be an optional DVB-S2 coming first quarter next year.
    I want 3 x DVB-S2 and 1 x DVB-T, for my perfect box. Too many time my wife has been recording two things at the same time. The single DVB-T will do until there is a second mux.
    Only downside I can see is the only 2.5" internal hard drive. Hopefully a 3.5" will squeeze in somehow.

Starts shipping in about two weeks. VIX image too :)

Definitely getting this for Christmas.

A lot of desktop computers are going with 2.5" drives now, in a couple of years it'll be a whole lot easier get 2.5"s than 3.5"s.

For your "perfect" setup couldn't you get a VU+ Ultimo and add a forth tuner via USB?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

just a quick question, can you record 2 channels like on the vu duo and have another sat tuner for say the hotbird satellite and another tuner for saorview on this receiver (might not have explained it properly)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have an ultimo and on that you can record up to 8 channels and watch a 9th once they are on the same mux I believe, all the saorview channels are on the same mux so you can record those. As for satellite tuners, you can have them pointing at different satellites and recording them, again you can record as many channels are you want once they are on the same area, for example if you are recording UTV you can record the other ITV channels as well, BBC the same, I find it handy if there's something on ITV that the missus wants to watch (e.g. X-Factor) while there's something else on 1 of the other channels, you can stream from the other channels to your laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Clareman wrote: »
    A lot of desktop computers are going with 2.5" drives now, in a couple of years it'll be a whole lot easier get 2.5"s than 3.5"s.
    I can't see 3.5" going away any time soon. If you want a big size drive 3.5" is the way to go. There is no 3TB drives in 2.5". Also you pay a premium for going for 2.5"
    Clareman wrote: »
    For your "perfect" setup couldn't you get a VU+ Ultimo and add a forth tuner via USB?

I have used two USB DVB-T on the Vu+ duo, WinTV Nova-T and Sundtek MediaTV Pro. Neither were great, with frequent hanging of the box. So I got a new dish for Saorsat, but without TV3 it's become a none runner for me.

Was planning on getting the Ultimo, but I think the Quad is a better option. Of the satellite boxes I have, the Vu+ is the best quality. I'm guessing the Gigablue won't be of the same quality, but will hopefully be enough.

Price taken from http://www.tt-sat.de/
    Gigablue Quad €399
    Vu+ Ultimo €499
    Additional tuner for Gigablue €39
    Additional tuner for Vu+ €49

Speed wise the Gigablue has a faster processor 1.3GHz v 400 MHz on the Ultimo
    Check out the vid on a reboot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOdY3TMYyN8
    The Quad has four slot v's three on the Ultimo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I've a Vu+ duo in my main room with Win-TV DTT stick and a Gigablue HD800SE (twin tuner DVB-S and DVB-T) in the bedroom. Both are running Vix. Two satellite tuners usually suffice for but on occasion when both are recording and I want to watch something else on Satellite in the main room, I have the option of streaming from the Gigablue to the Vu+ using the 'Remotestreamconvert' plugin. It effectively gives me three satellite tuners.

BTW the DTT stick does cause instability on occasions - especially when recording or timeshifting RTE2 HD.

on the vu+ can you get a 7 day egp for all sat stations and the rte stations

kevez wrote: »

Yes you can, get a plugin called CrossEPG and it'll download the epg for you, you can set it to download automatically in the middle of the night as well

SalteeDog wrote: »
    I've a Vu+ duo in my main room with Win-TV DTT stick and a Gigablue HD800SE (twin tuner DVB-S and DVB-T) in the bedroom. Both are running Vix. Two satellite tuners usually suffice for but on occasion when both are recording and I want to watch something else on Satellite in the main room, I have the option of streaming from the Gigablue to the Vu+ using the 'Remotestreamconvert' plugin. It effectively gives me three satellite tuners.

BTW the DTT stick does cause instability on occasions - especially when recording or timeshifting RTE2 HD.

Have you done it the other way round, so you can get the DTT from the Gigablue to the VU+? Does it work for recording?

Yes, the also works for all enigma2 receivers such as Dreambox and Gigablue.

• Advertisement

Have you done it the other way round, so you can get the DTT from the Gigablue to the VU+? Does it work for recording?

I actually haven't tried this but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I'll give it a go and let you know.

I actually haven't tried this but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Would be interesting to see if it was a better option than the USB DTT stick.

Did you every try recording over Remotestreamconvert?

Would be interesting to see if it was a better option than the USB DTT stick.

Did you every try recording over Remotestreamconvert?

Yes. I have successfully recorded a stream. Remotestreamconvert inserts a service in your bouquets that appears exactly like a service from the on-board tuners.

Important note - that plugin does not work on all images. It works on PLI based images only including VIX but not Team Red (which was the one my GigaBlue came installed with).

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cri

Guys, Is there a thread, or a website, that provides a Dummies Guide to all of this for a complete novice. I have a sky dish that is dormant because we switched to UPC. However due to issues with UPC I am thinking of re-activating the dish using devices such as these but with all the technical jargon it is hard to keep up. I was thinking of a VU Duo but then I read about this GigaBlue, do they do the same thing etc.?

If you are looking for just FTA you'd be hard pressed to find a better spot that the Satellite forum on here. I would advice though that if the dish hasn't been used in a while that you test that it's working before going out and spending money on anything, I'm sure you know someone who could give you a loan of a Sky box to plug in.

If you want to get an Enigma box, have a think about what you want to do and how much you are willing to spend. For example, do you want to pick up satellite and terrestrial on the 1 box? Do you want it to act as a media player as well? Do you want to be able to store stuff on it? Do you want to be able to watch different channels while watching others? IMVHO buying a "box" is like buying a PC, there's an awful lot of choice out there and a lot of it is overkill for what you want to be able to do so it's important to figure out what you want to do and go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

They were exactly my thoughts when I was looking at the box, and the pictures I've seen gave me some small hope that it might be possible. Has anybody tried it?

Personally I have nothing against 2.5" drives, but they tend to be more expensive and of course I have a couple of 3.5" ones lying around already.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

Hi SalteeDog. Do you get the same instability on DTT on both boxes. I have a duo and considering a 2nd box. Not too happy with the random box freeze when zapping Saorview.

Hi SalteeDog. Do you get the same instability on DTT on both boxes. I have a duo and considering a 2nd box. Not too happy with the random box freeze when zapping Saorview.

No - the Gigablue has an inbuilt DTT tuner so there is no need for an external USB DTT stick. I have encountered no Saorview problems with it.

Thanks SalteeDog. Still learning the tech but have to say I love the Duo. I love the user options, and preferences available, and am delighted I cancelled Sly and switched. Shame the USB freeze issue hasn't been sorted (read many forums, old and young) - If it worked properly I would get a second Duo.

However, the Quad is looking like a viable alternative at €100 more expensive than the Duo, with the major plus of that internal DTT tuner. Ultimo is more expensive again but slower processor.

I'll keep on saving for the Quad, and by Jan/Feb, there should be even more support tweaks for the Quad. I'll be scouring forums for user feedback on the Quad. Also like the fact that both can run Vix.

Thanks for the info.

Got mine ordered today from Germany, with 1 x dvb-t. Should have it before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

RSI are working on an image for the Giga receivers.

http://www.opensat4all.com/forums/topic/4678-openrsi-goes-gigablue/

Zab wrote: »
    They were exactly my thoughts when I was looking at the box, and the pictures I've seen gave me some small hope that it might be possible. Has anybody tried it?

To answer my own question, I don't think it's a goer. It definitely won't fit on the mount, but that was to be expected. As for somewhere else, it looked like it either wouldn't fit or would be touching/too close to the capacitors (if you attached it to the ceiling of the case for example). Now that I think of it, I didn't consider removing the mount, the capacitors may be lower around there.

Got mine ordered today from Germany, with 1 x dvb-t. Should have it before Christmas.
    Hi RogerThis.
    Are you planning on an internal HDD? If so can you share the details? I remember reading that a 9mm drive will be ok but a 12.5mm (I think 1.5tb and 2tb are 12.5mm or more) may be too big.
    I will buy one in Jan and am looking for advice on at least a 1.5gb HDD.
    Thanks

Hi RogerThis.
    Are you planning on an internal HDD? If so can you share the details? I remember reading that a 9mm drive will be ok but a 12.5mm (I think 1.5tb and 2tb are 12.5mm or more) may be too big.
    I will buy one in Jan and am looking for advice on at least a 1.5gb HDD.
    Thanks

I got mine fully setup now. I used a 3.5" 3tb external hard drive. It's working great. It's an extra box but it hidden behind my receiver. Have everything set to the hard drive eg timeshift , picons etc. Can't hear the drive.

I didn't notice the speed increase of the software until I went back to my vu duo. It kicks the ass of the duo, menus load up instantly. No crashes as yet. I'm using openvix.

Do you mind me asking how old the drive is? I'm always worried about having a drive on and constantly spinning will mean it'll die sooner rather than later.

It's a new drive. I won't be concerned about the hard drive running 24/7, they are designed to run that way. There is only a problem on ssd drives, with read write counts. Same problem with USB keys, I have burnt out a few using them for timeshift. They would last about 4 months. I'd be more concerned with the life of the satellite box.

I'm old school, as far as I'm concerned there are 2 types of hard drives, failed hard drives and those that are going to fail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Is the external drive USB or eSata ?

I got mine fully setup now. I used a 3.5" 3tb external hard drive. It's working great. It's an extra box but it hidden behind my receiver. Have everything set to the hard drive eg timeshift , picons etc. Can't hear the drive.

I didn't notice the speed increase of the software until I went back to my vu duo. It kicks the ass of the duo, menus load up instantly. No crashes as yet. I'm using openvix.

dfdream wrote: »
    Is the external drive USB or eSata ?

It's USB, no problems so far. I used MiniTools Partition http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html to format it as ext4. I took about 1.5 hours to format 3tb.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hi I am thinking of getting rid of Sky and getting the Gigablue Quad I hope to get four tuners 2xSat, 1xDTT and 1xCable tuner. I know the Sat channels will work fine and so will one of the extra tuners work for Saorview but will the other one work and be able to use UPC annolougue cable that I have from my broadband.
    Any ideas people? Also I feed the existing Sky HD box to the bedroom via the RF out will I be able to do the same with this box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Hi I am thinking of getting rid of Sky and getting the Gigablue Quad I hope to get four tuners 2xSat, 1xDTT and 1xCable tuner. I know the Sat channels will work fine and so will one of the extra tuners work for Saorview but will the other one work and be able to use UPC annolougue cable that I have from my broadband.
    Any ideas people? Also I feed the existing Sky HD box to the bedroom via the RF out will I be able to do the same with this box.

What use would your cable tuner be ? The UPC DVB-C channels are encrypted AFAIK.

Most of the latest Linux boxes have a hybrid DVB-T/C tuner module. It does both and is controlled by the software.

If that is what your desired config, then you should be looking at an Amiko Triple tuner which are more than half the price of the Gigablue Quad. There is a thread of users in the terrestrial forum on that particular Box.

STB wrote: »
    What use would your cable tuner be ? The UPC DVB-C channels are encrypted AFAIK.

i think he is talking about the analog stations that upc still broadcast down their line and if so i dont think it will work as it as the tuner is a digital tuner and the stations are analog but i may stand corrected

i think he is talking about the analog stations that upc still broadcast down their line and if so i dont think it will work as it as the tuner is a digital tuner and the stations are analog but i may stand corrected
    UPC still pass the anologue signal through their cables alrite but these are of no use on a Vu+ Duo. Can't see them working on any other box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

No you are absolutely right. Thats why I asked what the purpose of the DVB-C tuner was. Digital UPC does use DVB-C, but the channels are encrypted. You are required to use the proprietary UPC box. The old analogue UPC would require a UHF analogue tuner which no Linux Combo set top box does.

I would still point out that if he only requires a single DVB-T tuner with Twin DVB-S tuners that the Amiko Alien 2 is half the price of the Gigablue Quad. No RF output though.

STB wrote: »
    No you are absolutely right. Thats why I asked what the purpose of the DVB-C tuner was. Digital UPC does use DVB-C, but the channels are encrypted. You are required to use the proprietary UPC box. The old analogue UPC would require a UHF analogue tuner which no Linux Combo set top box does.

I would still point out that if he only requires a single DVB-T tuner with Twin DVB-S tuners that the Amiko Alien 2 is half the price of the Gigablue Quad. No RF output though.

Thanks guys you are correct no chance of getting the old UPC channels. Is there an RF out on the Gigablue?

• Advertisement

Anybody?

I don't have the quad but I do have the Gigablue HD800SE. There is no RF output on that and I would suspect there is no RF output on the Quad either. I did a google image search for it, looked at a picture of the back of it and see no RF output. No reference to it on the specs either.

I have an Ant In and Ant Out on the optional DVB-C/T tuner in my Quad. I'm pretty sure the optional in the SE was the exact same.

I have an Ant In and Ant Out on the optional DVB-C/T tuner in my Quad. I'm pretty sure the optional in the SE was the exact same.

Sorry for me been stupid but is that the same as RF out that I could use to feed a signal around my house. Thx a mill

No it isn't. It's what is called a 'loop through' i.e. it's simply passing the incoming digital signal back out. An 'RF out' requires an in-built modulator to convert the decoded digital transmission to an analog signal. I'm not aware of any Enigma box which has that (although I admit I haven't done much research in the matter).

If you need an RF signal to distribute around the house , you have two other options:-

1. Use an old VCR (it has an inbuilt RF modulator for the SCART input)
    2. Use an external RF-Modulator such as the Triax Trilink - link here

• Advertisement

No it isn't. It's what is called a 'loop through' i.e. it's simply passing the incoming digital signal back out. An 'RF out' requires an in-built modulator to convert the decoded digital transmission to an analog signal. I'm not aware of any Enigma box which has that (although I admit I haven't done much research in the matter).

If you need an RF signal to distribute around the house , you have two other options:-

1. Use an old VCR (it has an inbuilt RF modulator for the SCART input)
    2. Use an external RF-Modulator such as the Triax Trilink - link here

Cheers mate taught as much.

Given your handle, another option you may wish to consider is that the Gigablue Quad (or any Enigma2 box) can 'share' its tuners over your home network with another Enigma box. i.e. you can stream content from one box onto another assuming both are on the same network.

Given your handle, another option you may wish to consider is that the Gigablue Quad (or any Enigma2 box) can 'share' its tuners over your home network with another Enigma box. i.e. you can stream content from one box onto another assuming both are on the same network.

Yeah I knew about that option. I think I will sell my existing DM800 and buy the Gigablue Quad and just use the tri link as it has to be very wife friendly.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Yeah I knew about that option. I think I will sell my existing DM800 and buy the Gigablue Quad and just use the tri link as it has to be very wife friendly.

I have to be honest, I'm having a few too many issues with this box to recommend it at the moment.

I have to be honest, I'm having a few too many issues with this box to recommend it at the moment.

What problems are you having

I have to recommend this box... BUT

You'll need to have a basic knowledge of Linux, not Ubuntu GUI actual Linux command line.

Also its such a new box there are a few teething issues such as my box decided to forget the internal drives UUID and UN-mount it after a package update. (Have it all sorted now)

For a few questions I've seen & a bit more:
    • I have recorded 10 channels simultaneously without an issue.
    • It does HD
    • I can control the Box via a comprehensive GUI accessible from a web browser
    • I can stream channels to my laptop/ipad/tablet/phone
    • Provides a 7 day EPG
    • Timeshift has to be enabled manually and doesn't start automatically which I hope a plugin will be available in the future for this
    • Can be connected to XBMC

Many great things about this box, getting better every week! I've been using it for about 2 months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭swoofer

whats the pic quality in HD like and can you compare it to a sky hd box say?

I can't compare it to Sky HD as I only ever had the standard box. But if I compare it to HD movies I watch (.mkv files) it's just as sharp. It also has no issues handling it, never freezes or anything.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    whats the pic quality in HD like and can you compare it to a sky hd box say?
    There is no difference in PQ from the Quad. Quad is excellent in HD.

Hi,

Anyone having issues with Saorview - I updated VIX (new kernel) and DVBt has stopped working.

• Advertisement
Advertisement