Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair issues.

Options
  • 17-04-2015 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hi,

I purchased a laptop from DID a year and a half ago with a years warranty. Within the first few months the motherboard blew and I had it repaired under warranty, no issues. Three months later the motherboard blew again, I had it repaired again under warranty and was assured it wouldn't happen again . Now, 6 months outside the warranty the piece of crap motherboard is gone again. It was acknowledged they first two times that it wasn't my fault. This was no different, it apparently blows for no reason which leads me to believe they are simply replacing the broken part rather than the cause. I'm calling them on Monday but just looking for some advice on what my rights are etc. At this stage I either want my money back or a new laptop.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Item is not fit for purpose, you've had it repaired 2 times for the exact same fault. Look for a replacement or refund. Don't be fobbed off with "it's out of warranty".

The laptop is not fit for purpose, it's defective, they are required to refund or replace at this stage. It being 6 months outside of "warranty" is irrelevant, the laptop has not lasted a reasonable amount of time.

Just remember, your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer, DID need to resolve this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Also any repair should be a permanent fixture. You should be able to seek a replacement or a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The warranty they are talking about is nothing to do with your statutory rights, it is most likely a manufacturer warranty which enabled the laptop to be repaired the first two times.

Your contract of sale is with the retailer and they are legally obliged to provide some form of redress whether a repair(already tried so you do not have to accept another repair), a replacement(with similar spec laptop costing a similar amount to what you originally paid), or a full refund as the laptop they sold you is clearly not fit for purpose and definitely not reasonably durable given its expected lifetime(4-5years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Hi guys, have an update on this.

So after returning the laptop the following was said. They have to return the laptop and await instructions from the manufacturer. This will either be another repair or replacement. I said I'm not interested and that I want full or partial refund. They said it that's impossible. They said that my contract is with the manufacturer and not DID and simply said Consumer rights were wrong (I had called them as well as posting here.) Consumer Rights have advised me to write a formal letter of complaint and failing that go to SCC.They warned me that the shop would insist on repair. Are businesses this deceiving? Am I likely to see any money out of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Hi guys, have an update on this.

So after returning the laptop the following was said. They have to return the laptop and await instructions from the manufacturer. This will either be another repair or replacement. I said I'm not interested and that I want full or partial refund. They said it that's impossible. They said that my contract is with the manufacturer and not DID and simply said Consumer rights were wrong (I had called them as well as posting here.) Consumer Rights have advised me to write a formal letter of complaint and failing that go to SCC.They warned me that the shop would insist on repair. Are businesses this deceiving? Am I likely to see any money out of this?

You have gotten sound advice from consumer rights. The shop don't seem to want to deal with the problem so your only alternative is to write a formal letter with a date you want the problem rectified by. After that then it's a scc job.

Very disappointing to hear they tried to fob you off like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Document this too for the small claims court. When a shop assistant tells you your rights and are wrong just ask them for their name. If they're only an assistant then ask them to confirm that with a manager.
    If they're a manager document it for when you're taking them to court.

You have gotten sound advice from consumer rights. The shop don't seem to want to deal with the problem so your only alternative is to write a formal letter with a date you want the problem rectified by. After that then it's a scc job.

Very disappointing to hear they tried to fob you off like that.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    So apparently the manufacturer told the manager to offer me a replacement or repair, no refund under any circumstances. Why do they come out with this stuff? Surely this in itself is an admission that it was not fit for purpose? Are they trying to inconvenience me as much as possible so I'll give up on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Are they trying to inconvenience me as much as possible so I'll give up on this.

Yes.

Dont give up. Your contract is with DID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Thanks for all the replies.
    So apparently the manufacturer told the manager to offer me a replacement or repair, no refund under any circumstances. Why do they come out with this stuff? Surely this in itself is an admission that it was not fit for purpose? Are they trying to inconvenience me as much as possible so I'll give up on this.

Why don't you accept a replacement? It seems reasonable to me and small claims court would take this account if you try to take the company to court

While your contract is with the shop, it is only fair that the shop does its best to ensure that it is not out of pocket by agreeing things with the manufacturer before doing anything

The motherboard contains all of the components of the laptop and by replacing this they have basically given you a new laptop, twice.

PS: As you had use of the laptop for almost one and a half years, the shop would be within their rights to take this into account and offer you a depreciated refund for the one and a half years usage of the laptop so you are probably better off taking the replacement that they are offering

jahalpin wrote: »
    Why don't you accept a replacement? It seems reasonable to me and small claims court would take this account if you try to take the company to court

While your contract is with the shop, it is only fair that the shop does its best to ensure that it is not out of pocket by agreeing things with the manufacturer before doing anything

The motherboard contains all of the components of the laptop and by replacing this they have basically given you a new laptop, twice.

PS: As you had use of the laptop for almost one and a half years, the shop would be within their rights to take this into account and offer you a depreciated refund for the one and a half years usage of the laptop so you are probably better off taking the replacement that they are offering

I would expect a depreciated refund, I was hoping to use that money to buy from somewhere else with better customer service and more reliable products. Having a motherboard blowing three times means they failed to fix the issue repeatedly. In other words they sold me a piece of crap and didn't fix it properly on any of the occasions. Rather take my chances somewhere else, especially after the hostile nature in which they are handling this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I would expect a depreciated refund, I was hoping to use that money to buy from somewhere else with better customer service and more reliable products. Having a motherboard blowing three times means they failed to fix the issue repeatedly. In other words they sold me a piece of crap and didn't fix it properly on any of the occasions. Rather take my chances somewhere else, especially after the hostile nature in which they are handling this.

SCC may take a dim view on you refusing a replacement, especially if a different make.

Advertisement