Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ship timbers?

• 17-11-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

A friend found the piece below over 10 years ago on a beach in north Dublin, they have always thought it was railway related, but to me it looks like it came from a ship.

The wood is approx 8"-10" thick, the longest piece is about 3' long, (I didn't measure it!) both timbers are joined with metal bolts/nails..... anyone like to hazard a guess at what it is?

Ship.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Looks to me like a boats rudder.

Could be a couple of hundred years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

It might be easily typed by someone working in a timber yard. There is also a site compiling some dendro databases.
    http://web.utk.edu/~grissino/databases.htm
    Give it a go - you never know where it might lead you. Please remember if it leads you back before 1700 AD it needs to go to the museum - with as much information as you can muster about it - even stuff that might seem useless to you.
    Best of luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Reader1937 wrote: »
    It might be easily typed by someone working in a timber yard. There is also a site compiling some dendro databases.
    http://web.utk.edu/~grissino/databases.htm
    Give it a go - you never know where it might lead you. Please remember if it leads you back before 1700 AD it needs to go to the museum - with as much information as you can muster about it - even stuff that might seem useless to you.
    Best of luck.

The obligations are more recent when it comes to wrecks and maritime archaeology, but are largely unspecified because of the importance of wreckages that occurred in living memory.
    On a broader note, the controversial 1700 cut off is not a legally binding determinant of what does and does not constitute archaeology. It is a fairly arbitrary point chosen by the NMS at a time when the surveys were being planned and is long overdue for review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

Looks very much like a ship timber to me. It would be worth giving the guys in the National Monuments Underwater Archaeology Unit a call, in my experience they are very helpful and interested.

http://www.archaeology.ie/contact-us/underwater-archaeology-unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Will certainly ask them to give the National Monuments Underwater Archaeology a call about it.

The piece of wood is still proving it's worth but now in a new incarnation as a coffee table (past 10 years). I wouldn't think it's been too traumatic for the wood...just a couple of screws.. They were definitely convinced it was some sort of railway sleeper...so will be interesting to find out what it really is, perhaps there is even something more at the original find location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Has there been any update to what it might could have been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

celica00 wrote: »
    Has there been any update to what it might could have been?

no updates i'm afraid....care to hazard a guess yourself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Looks like part of a ship's keel...it could be 50 years or a hundred years but the thing to bear in mind is the iron nails will perish before wood if they're left in saltwater....also the keel is nailed onto the centre planks so it suggest its more modern than ancient.

Advertisement