Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lonely

Options
  • 04-04-2015 4:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Are Irish people clannish?
    I'm from another country but I hav no friend to hang out with. I'm not a serial killer or anything. I'm a wife and mother and work at our local hospital. I feel that I live in the community but I'll never be part of it!! They be your friend in the pub and the day after they don't iven say hi. Is it normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

You need to form a link with people other than work it seems. A friend of mine asked me the best way to "fit in " . My answer consisted of three letters - GAA ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

V83 wrote: »
    Are Irish people clannish?
    I'm from another country but I hav no friend to hang out with. I'm not a serial killer or anything. I'm a wife and mother and work at our local hospital. I feel that I live in the community but I'll never be part of it!! They be your friend in the pub and the day after they don't iven say hi. Is it normal?

and the day after, they dont even remember! dont be offended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They be your friend in the pub and the day after they don't iven say hi. Is it normal?
    Some Irish people have a problem that after a few drinks, remember nothing. But there are those who have a "selective" memory.
    I'm a wife and mother and work at our local hospital.
    How old are the kids? If youngish, you can use them to gain access to the circle of "mammies", but be warned, you may end up being the "go to" person for little Johnnies cut when he calls off the bike/swing/chair/tree for the 50th time if you're a nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I think Irish people can be a little difficult to get to know beyond the casual friendliness.

I would advise to get involved in local clubs or organisations.

Agree on the linking through kids - help out at their sports clubs, at the parents' associations in the school, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Hi I think that you get that everywhere and there are many mothers sitting at home day after day and never see anyone. Have you not made friends in the hospital where you work. I am the worlds worst at making friends and know how you feel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

When we lived in Letterkenny, my mum was involved with the women's centre there. It provided a great way to meet other mothers, but I'm not sure if it still exists. This is their site. Might be worth a look: http://lwc.ie

Advertisement