Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cartilage piercing

Options
  • 28-08-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Got my Helix pierced in connected ink on Sunday with a needle but now it is red and swollen and bleeding and is painful, I'm cleaning it twice a day with saline solution which the woman in boots gave to me it is for contact lenses but she said it's the same? On the piercing aftercare leaflet it says not to use sea salt but why? All I ever see are people saying to use that

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Moved to tattoos and piercings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

That saline solution is probably no good, as it has other chemicals in it as well salt, and might not have the right concentration of salt also.

Very strange aftercare leaflet but a homemade sea salt solution is the best way to go. Boil fresh water, add about a quarter teaspoon to a regular size cup. Give it a taste, should be no saltier than tears. Can add a little more depending on your cup. Leave it cool until warm and then use it. I always thought once a day was enough, especially if it's irritated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

That saline solution is probably no good, as it has other chemicals in it as well salt, and might not have the right concentration of salt also.

Very strange aftercare leaflet but a homemade sea salt solution is the best way to go. Boil fresh water, add about a quarter teaspoon to a regular size cup. Give it a taste, should be no saltier than tears. Can add a little more depending on your cup. Leave it cool until warm and then use it. I always thought once a day was enough, especially if it's irritated now.

This is true, you shouldn't use contact lens cleaning solutions on piercings as far as I know.

If their aftercare leaflet is saying not to use sea salt I'd be a bit worried, a very mild sea salt solution is the standard recommendation.

Advertisement