Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cant get NAT-1 with e-fibre on ps3, plz help!

• 24-08-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Got e-fibre 2 days ago and was thinking yea great to have fast multiplayer on ps3, but the inevitable happened
    Can only get nat 2, and the irony is i used to have faster multiplayer with nat type 1 on standard broadband.

Tried typing ppoe (eircomeircom.net & password), lowering firewall, browsing boards.ie and eircom nothing works.

When i test the connection on my ps3 it gives me nat 2, no speeds for download or upload just blank and it says something along the lines of "this ip address doesn't support fragments contact router provider"
    So plz tell me someone knows what to do?

And before someone mentions it, nat 2 is not as good as nat 1, for me anyway its slow and im getting slaughtered online (when i manage to connect with people)

Thanks in advance

ps i use an ethernet cable not wifi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Your problem doesn't sound NAT related to me, if you were getting NAT-3 then that would indicate a problem.

Check your PS3 MTU setting. The Efibre VDSL profile is set to 1500 MTU by default. If the PS3 MTU is set to automatic try setting it to 1500 in case there is a mismatch. If that does not help, leave the PS3 at automatic and go to your efibre modem, then broadband, network settings and edit the VDSL profile. Change the MTU to 1492 and try testing again. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You don't want to use pppoe, that'd need the modem to be reconfigured and would break eVision if you have it.

Your issue is most likely the firewall blocking inbounds from psn. Call eircom and they can drop it from medium to low, should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 comeon

Thanks lads all try those, one quick question have ye or anyone ye know of have nat 1 using e-fibre, my point being can u get nat-1 using efibre?

put it to 1492 mtu on ps3, no change.
    on VDSL it says MTU size between 68-1492, i put it to 1492 yesterday when i was playing around with it, someone suggested change VDSL from routing to bridge which didnt make a difference, i changed it back to routing and i had to type in the MTU so i typed in 1492 dunno what the original number was, btw it wont go to 1500 just 68-1492

Hi Comeon,

Ok so if the MTU is set at 1492 on the PS3, try matching that value on the Efibre modem. Go to Network Setting ---> Broadband---->VDSL. You want to select the little clipboard / edit icon. If you scroll down you will then see the MTU setting which will be set at 1500. Try changing it to 1492 to match the PS3. You can always change it back if it makes no difference so no harm done etc.

• Advertisement

put it to 1492 mtu on ps3, no change.
    on VDSL it says MTU size between 68-1492, i put it to 1492 yesterday when i was playing around with it, someone suggested change VDSL from routing to bridge which didnt make a difference, i changed it back to routing and i had to type in the MTU so i typed in 1492 dunno what the original number was, btw it wont go to 1500 just 68-1492

If the MTU on VDSL was set to 1500 default/originally it wont now just between 68-1492

Just checked mine and it definitely defaults to 1500 and the range is (68-1500). It really sounds like some of your WAN profile settings might have changed when you set it to bridge mode. It might be worth checking they match the below:-

So mine reads, VDSL, Type = PTM, Mode = Routing, Encapsulation = IPoE, 802.1p = 0, 802.1q = 10, IGMP proxy =y, NAT =y, Default Gateway=y, IPv6 - N and MLD Proxy = N.

If you edit the VDSL settings, my DNS is set to static at 159.134.0.1 and 159.134.0.2.

Other then that I am out of ideas. The error message you were getting regarding packet fragmentation definitely relates to MTU size. It usually means the sending device is transmitting packets too large for the receiver (the modem), the modem then tries to fragment or chop up the packets but that's not supported. You somehow need to get your modem MTU back to 1500 bytes.

Also check what firmware you are running on the modem. The latest is 1.00(AAHA.4)D0

Looks like your not the only one that experienced these issues.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88905292

To stop fragmentation i just disabled QoS (quality of service), at least now it gives me upload and download speeds, before it was just blank.
    Still only getting nat-2, people say there isint a difference but i reckon there is.

Thanks for the help anoble66

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

comeon wrote: »
    To stop fragmentation i just disabled QoS (quality of service), at least now it gives me upload and download speeds, before it was just blank.
    Still only getting nat-2, people say there isint a difference but i reckon there is.

Thanks for the help anoble66
    Hi you can put your ps3 in DMZ that give you Nat1 you have to go to nat on the router pick DMZ put your ps3 IP address in it apply the only problem is your IP address might keep changing not sure you can stop that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

And before someone mentions it, nat 2 is not as good as nat 1, for me anyway its slow and im getting slaughtered online (when i manage to connect with people).
    You will never get NAT Type 1 behind a router, NAT 2 means your configuration is correct (ports open etc) behind a router and NAT 3 means you're behind a router but ports are blocked / closed. You'd only get NAT 1 with a direct connection (no firewall / NAT etc.) via cable to a modem or direct AP.

http://netnix.org/2011/09/06/understanding-ps3-nat/

Your issue here is related to something else, the MTU preferences in particular - these should be set to a lower value if 1500 is the default one.
    It seems I've found the solution to my problem. Lately the PS3 has been returning errors about the router not supporting IP Fragmentation. In light of this I went poking around and checked the MTU for the eFibre router and it was set to 1500, as you would expect. So then I did a ping test in command prompt and found the that 1500 would need fragmentation. So, I went about typing in packet sizes until I got the highest value where all four tests came back without issue, and that was something like 1472 I think. Did this change, and so far, so good. Thank god.

rob808 wrote: »
    Hi you can put your ps3 in DMZ that give you Nat1 you have to go to nat on the router pick DMZ put your ps3 IP address in it apply the only problem is your IP address might keep changing not sure you can stop that.

Did that, didnt change NAT but gave me faster speeds, u can give ur PS3 a permanent IP address by manually setting it on network settings, its the same as default router only the last digit is different

advertsfox wrote: »
    You will never get NAT Type 1 behind a router, NAT 2 means your configuration is correct (ports open etc) behind a router and NAT 3 means you're behind a router but ports are blocked / closed. You'd only get NAT 1 with a direct connection (no firewall / NAT etc.) via cable to a modem or direct AP.

Your issue here is related to something else, the MTU preferences in particular - these should be set to a lower value if 1500 is the default one.

I tried all different MTU numbers, did a ping test through run, tried to find the biggest number that didnt fragment, nothing, i found whatever number was typed in the modem settings it was always minus 28, so if i had 1500 the ping would be 1472.

Only thing that worked was disabling QoS.

My firewall is on low, but if i completely put it down im inevitably gonna get viruses, right?
    Can u give me any easy explained tips on how to get NAT-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MTU is just the packet size and thats only applicable to your switched network really, which is your PS3 to your router. Besides 1500 is the standard. It should have 0 effect on your latency, since your latency to the router should be 0ms wired or around 5ms wireless. The only way this could have any effect is if the Router was having serious issues resizing packets from the PPPOE link. Which is ridiculous, its pretty much the only thing they actually do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Can u give me any easy explained tips on how to get NAT-1

From the link above, NAT1 isn't NAT. No router, just a publicly routable IP address directly to the PS3. Technically capable on some UPC equipment but not a chance on VDSL.

Only thing that worked was disabling QoS.
    Perfect, leave if off - you don't need QoS enabled, it's not exactly excellent on the Eircom F1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Did that, didnt change NAT but gave me faster speeds, u can give ur PS3 a permanent IP address by manually setting it on network settings, its the same as default router only the last digit is different
    we'll it work for me but I don't have vdsl but I didn't think that would make a difference but nat 2 ok just port forward.

I got nat type 1 by changing VDSL from routing to bridge, but cant get internet on my desktop, but can get wifi

I got nat type 1 by changing VDSL from routing to bridge, but cant get internet on my desktop, but can get wifi
    That's because bridge mode disables all router features and only 1 device connected via LAN or WiFi (whichevers first) will get the public IP address - this is the purpose of the router, it is the 1 device managing the public IP address and dishes out the private IP addresses to everything on the network. This is why you can't get online. Disable bridging, stick to the config from before with QoS disable and it will work.

NAT1 is the same as NAT2 except NAT2 is behind a router has the correct configuration (ports open, DMZ, firewall etc) for PSN to work.

advertsfox wrote: »
    That's because bridge mode disables all router features and only 1 device connected via LAN or WiFi (whichevers first) will get the public IP address - this is the purpose of the router, it is the 1 device managing the public IP address and dishes out the private IP addresses to everything on the network. This is why you can't get online. Disable bridging, stick to the config from before with QoS disable and it will work.

NAT1 is the same as NAT2 except NAT2 is behind a router has the correct configuration (ports open, DMZ, firewall etc) for PSN to work.

Yes, i just changed it back, anyway trying to portforward too but the website doesnt have instructions for the for zyxel f1000/VMG8324-B10A eircom modem

• Advertisement

Yes, i just changed it back, anyway trying to portforward too but the website doesnt have instructions for the for zyxel f1000/VMG8324-B10A eircom modem
    Just only need to do 2 things:

1. Assign an IP address to the MAC address of your PS3.
    2. Set the DMZ / Default Server (under Port Forwarding) to the IP address of your PS3.

Advertisement