Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working at a European Ski Resort

Options
  • 18-08-2014 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

Myself and a friend from the Uk are currently in New Zealand doing a ski season here. Our visas are up in the middle of November which is pretty much exactly when all the jobs start in all the ski resorts in Europe for the winter. I have friends who have done it before who have said they should be able get us at least interviews but even if not then I have found a website that has hundreds of job listings for all over Europe so I don't think finding a job would be to difficult. My only worry is that once we are there, would we be able to save much money? We would only be doing very basic jobs by the way like bar tender, lifty, housekeeping, etc. We would be planning to apply for a Canadian visa while working at the resort in Europe so that when the jobs finish around April time we could then head off to Canada but will need a bit of savings to do this. I have been told that most of the jobs would include free accommodation, lift pass maybe food too but you get pretty much no money, maybe $100/week (I have no Euro symbol), is this the case?

Thank you, any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Hey, I worked last season in Val d'Isere and didn't save a cent. Realistically you won't either. A chalet job will provide you with with accom, lift pass and ample food. I lived on baguettes and cereal for most of it. The wages for a chalet host are probably about €70 a week then tips on top (€100 average).
    Most jobs for chalet work, bar work will be offered in september so apply quickly. You can get better paid jobs but then you pay for your own lift pass, accom etc.
    Unless you plan on staying in most nights you won't save. Between buying new kit and stuff i spent €3500 i'd saved too.
    It's a lifestyle though, your on the mountain 6 days a week and that's why your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Barryp6177 wrote: »

You will be as poor as a church mouse who's wife has run off with his friend and taken all the cheese!

But it will be a great experience!

Advertisement