Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy - NO MEDICAL ADVICE.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

jopax wrote: »
    If you have a medical card you don't have to pay.
    If not you have to pay, it used to be free but they changed it recently so you have to pay.
    If your gp is approachable he/she might fill out a long term illness card and you will not have to pay. You can get an application form for a long term illness card from your chemist and then bring to your gp. It is worth a try, some doctors have no problem with helping out.
    Good luck with this.

Unfortunately gestational diabetes isn't covered by the long term Illness either. In fact chances are that you'll havehad the baby by the time the application is even assessed! I ended up going into labour 2 weeks early so was only on insulin for a week by the time they started me on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Karmella wrote: »
    Unfortunately gestational diabetes isn't covered by the long term Illness either. In fact chances are that you'll havehad the baby by the time the application is even assessed! I ended up going into labour 2 weeks early so was only on insulin for a week by the time they started me on it!

Yes you are right its not covered by the long term illness card.
    What I meant was if your gp would put down that you have diabetes, not the gestational kind.
    You are also right too with regards being so near the end of your pregnancy that it is not pratical.
    In my case because I had gestational diabetes in a previous pregnancy they had me monitoring my bloods from 13 weeks on which would have cost me a lot. Quite frankly I could not maintain that for another 27 weeks.
    That was just my experience on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mommababe

Thanks for that ladies, looks like ill probably be forking out for the strips. How much do they cost around? Id like to get an idea of what i might be paying. Pretty crap that we have to fork out for this when its pregnancy related

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Mommababe wrote: »
    Thanks for that ladies, looks like ill probably be forking out for the strips. How much do they cost around? Id like to get an idea of what i might be paying. Pretty crap that we have to fork out for this when its pregnancy related

Yes it is crap that they took it off pregnant women.
    Its hypocrisy in this country when they go on about the rights of an unborn child and them take away the funding for gestational diabetes.
    Its for the good of the unborn baby to look after this condition yet they just do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Mommababe wrote: »

30-35 euro for a box of 50 which is basically a weeks worth. 200 lancets then are about 25.

The knack is to get as many as possible within a calendar month so you don't pay more than 140 euro with the drug payment card. But still having to fork out 140 euro is cr@p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Mommababe

Thanks for that, at least ive an idea of what ill be paying. Getting pretty fed up of the food, id love a fresh white scone just out of the oven smothered in butter but instead im having ryvita and cheese! Yum!!

Advertisement