Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skipping the DJ - any experiences?

• 03-08-2014 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

We are considering not having a DJ at our wedding, making a playlist ourselves and just using the venue's sound system.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done this before/attended a wedding where this was done before? Is it doable or a disaster waiting to happen?

The rest of the wedding is following the usual traditional format so we'll be having music at the ceremony and a band after the dinner.

Thanks very much! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd skip the band before I'd skip a DJ to be honest. I found the band to be a big spend for not much time... I know obviously this is because they have equipment and there are several people to pay etc, i just found the DJ much better value.

My brother's wedding had a DJ instead of a band and it was a great format. The DJ was well able to read the crowd and play what people wanted to hear. He took a few requests as well. Dance floor was jammed for the night, and I mean jammed. He played from after the meal, until nearly 3am. He took a few breaks, but people barely noticed becausehe had tracks lined up, so the atmosphere never changed (like it does when a band takes a break).

I was at a wedding where there was a playlist on an ipod playing, but it was a big wedding in a venue with loads ofsmall areas. They had a dj in one room, a guy with acoustic guitar in another room, and the ipod playing in another one. It worked well, people liked each of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Using the hotels sound system won't work, once you get it up to a certain volume (definitely not high enough for dancing anyway) it will start to distort and crackle and just be horribly inaudible.

You'd need to invest in a sound system, which a good DJ would have anyway... Like pwurple I'd skip the band before I'd skip the DJ. In fact, I am, we're just having a DJ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

If tis to save money id nearly agree with above as bands charge a lot more and you could get away with manybe having a twice piece or something like that.. If tis just ye don't fancy a DJ then the Ipod or Own DJing in my experience is great..

Went to two weddings that had this and the dance floor was full all night and there was a great selection of music.. The thing to do is to have the tracks lined up well and have a few songs together that have the same kind of tempo or vibe..If you have stops in the middle people get dis-interested..

As for the sounds system Id say you are fine with the hotels one, sure they are equipped for this.. Even call down and ask them to have a listen..One of the biggest mistakes with Bands and DJs is that they are too loud and there is nothing worse. you want people on the dancefloor to dance, but also the people who choose to sit down it is nice to be able to talk without shouting...

One way of making sure you have songs that suit all is to ask on the invites what song by which artist they would like played.. Or ye could do you a draft playlist and if ye have a wedding website or facebook page ask people to vote what songs they would like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Milly33 wrote: »
    As for the sounds system Id say you are fine with the hotels one, sure they are equipped for this..
    Very poor advice and completely incorrect. Hotels are ill equipped to provide music for a dancefloor and I doubt any decent venue would ever agree to such a thing.

A PA system designed for a speeches and conferences would be destroyed in minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Milly33 wrote: »
    If tis to save money id nearly agree with above as bands charge a lot more and you could get away with manybe having a twice piece or something like that.. If tis just ye don't fancy a DJ then the Ipod or Own DJing in my experience is great..

Went to two weddings that had this and the dance floor was full all night and there was a great selection of music.. The thing to do is to have the tracks lined up well and have a few songs together that have the same kind of tempo or vibe..If you have stops in the middle people get dis-interested..

As for the sounds system Id say you are fine with the hotels one, sure they are equipped for this.. Even call down and ask them to have a listen..One of the biggest mistakes with Bands and DJs is that they are too loud and there is nothing worse. you want people on the dancefloor to dance, but also the people who choose to sit down it is nice to be able to talk without shouting...

One way of making sure you have songs that suit all is to ask on the invites what song by which artist they would like played.. Or ye could do you a draft playlist and if ye have a wedding website or facebook page ask people to vote what songs they would like...

Sorry Milly, Hotels sound systems are most definitely not setup for music. Please do not do this. Theyre made for vocals/conference/speeches. If you went to hire something half decent youre up at 150-200e already. which is near half the cost of hiring a DJ anyway. Some small venues that double as bars/music venues may adequate systems but these are very much in the minority.

One of the biggest mistakes of a band and DJ that dont know their business is that they dont control sound levels. Sound/room/floor management is part and parcel of their business. Experienced guys shouldnt make this mistake. Can mitigate against this by doing homework not just on band but also on DJ and speaking to them on this.
    Having said that theres still no pleasing some people, I got asked to turn down recently by an older guy sitting very near my speakers (I thought level was ok), 2 minutes later, the groom came over and asked me to turn up. Told him the old fella told me to turn down which is why its so low, groom goes over and tells him to sit at the back of the room. Gotta keep everyone happy but sometimes the answer isnt always straightforward.

Id really recommend you hire someone, for the money involved I wouldnt have said its that much. Although OP, If your budget is just so stretched that you really cant stretch to a DJ then we can help to get the most out of it though so let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

haha and I mean this is the nicest way when reading those responses I was like they are working in the field aren't they!! Am I right... Well have to agree to disagree.... Hope you find a nice solution OP and it works for you..everyone is different think it really just ends up like the rest of the decisions for the big day..Do whatever ye like and if you know anyone working in bands or anything like that ask for a few suggestions on how to make it work..

Just incase tis of any good to you also, someone else mentioned them on this but I haven't heard any reports back so far. But if tis any use explosive dj they are on the net, if you were looking for something inbetween the band and Dj he seems to do it all for not that bad a price

Well I'm not working in the field and I can tell you from my experience of being in control of the music at my friends ceremony last year (we used an iPod hooked up to the hotels sound system) that once I tried to take the music over a certain volume it was like a bag of cats screeching. Not good at a wedding.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

January wrote: »
    I'd skip the band before I'd skip the DJ. In fact, I am, we're just having a DJ :)

Same here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

My friend just had an iPod with a playlist after her band and it was fine. Can't speak for what sound system she used.

On a side note-glad to hear its acceptable to forgo band for DJ only. Trying to find places to save money can be tough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I'd skip the band before I'd skip the DJ. In fact, I am, we're just having a DJ :)

I'd skip the band too, we just had a DJ and I don't regret it, was a great night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

We're getting married NYE and skipping the band too.

biddywiddy wrote: »
    We're getting married NYE and skipping the band too.

Same date here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Def dont go down the route of the hotel's sound system.

If you dont want to pay for a DJ, do you even know anyone who owns a PA you could borrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Definitely DJ rather than a band. But be sure and get an experienced wedding DJ preferably someone for whom you can obtain more then two genuine recommendations, and like booking a band, make sure he/she can give you a terms and conditions beforehand which you are happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Dont not get a DJ, if you want to save money on a band I was at a wedding before smallish maybe 120 people but they had this one man band guy playing, he was brilliant. Ive seen a handful of bands that were better but he had the floor fuller then most bands ive seen at weddings. He was a bit of a comedian too and was well worth whatever he was paid which im sure is a lot less then most bands charge.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Definitely DJ rather than a band. But be sure and get an experienced wedding DJ preferably someone for whom you can obtain more then two genuine recommendations, and like booking a band, make sure he/she can give you a terms and conditions beforehand which you are happy with.

Opinionable.

An excellent band is better than an excellent DJ as theres a live element that cant be reproduced. Cost may be a factor though.

An excellent or even an average DJ is WAY better than an average band and thats without taking the cost into factor, once you do that, its a no-brainer.

A half decent DJ is way better than an ipod job.

An ipod job is better than a bad DJ but only if you have the equipment. Theres no reason for not hiring a good DJ if you do your homework.

A band that would tick the excellent box for me would cost an arm and a leg and you will find half the guests don't know the difference between an excellent band and Mickey and the Two Swingers, and the other half are tugging the lead singers trouser leg shouting "Sing Wagon wheel, sing Wagon wheel" .
    I'd rather have an expensive top of the range wedding DJ then an average band.
    30 years sgo I was at a no expense spared wedding (of its day) at which Linda Martin and Chips played. In all fairness they were brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I was at a wedding recently and they skipped the band and just got a DJ. It didn't work so well as it just spilt up the group and they atmosphere fizzled.

I'd sooner the cut the DJ than the band.

That being said if you can get a DJ that has personality and can interact with the crowd if might make a difference but you don't often come across it with stock DJs so might end up paying more.

That being said some bands can be poor too. Try before you buy.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    A band that would tick the excellent box for me would cost an arm and a leg and you will find half the guests don't know the difference between an excellent band and Mickey and the Two Swingers, and the other half are tugging the lead singers trouser leg shouting "Sing Wagon wheel, sing Wagon wheel" .
    I'd rather have an expensive top of the range wedding DJ then an average band.
    30 years sgo I was at a no expense spared wedding (of its day) at which Linda Martin and Chips played. In all fairness they were brilliant.

some of those guys from chips are still going and dont cost an arm and a leg. ;)

I fully understand where you're coming from though and would definitely not argue with you if budget wasnt an issue, but there are some excellent bands out there that arent in the 2.5k + bracket. Just not that easy to find.

Wagon wheel is the bane of all our lives for the last 3 years. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've been to an ipod wedding, really wasn't a whole lot of dancing! There's be a great song, followed by an only OK song, so lots of getting up and down, and after a while of that people kinda stopped bothering getting up.

Go for a DJ if you don't want to spend on the band. They can take requests and mix up the order of songs to keep people moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Having a house party is fine for an ipod rattling away in the corner but a wedding is a different story. Venues could not care less about investing €xxxx in decent sound systems, elevator music and speeches is all they are designed for. A dancefloor needs speakers directed toward it from a stage so you'll need to hire a decent pa, speakers and lights which will prob be €200 incl setup and removal or get someone to do it for you and have them drive all the way back to the hire shop with the gear the next day.

While you might be fans of music like Kraftwerk and the XX, people will not dance to these songs and you will have a lot of work to cater for everyone while creating your playlist, even a proper dj would not have a premade playlist done, they will go with the crowd and unless you have everyone from the bar in Whelans there you will need a dj to adapt to a wedding crowd made up of all age groups from Aunt Nora who wants Abba and cousin Anto who wants Avicii.

After a few sherries, some guests may take it upon themselves to be guest dj and fiddle about with the ipod accidentally playing your audiobooks or "Gym Playlist"

Songs have intros and outros, some lasting minutes a DJ will chop and change these so you get to the good parts of songs quickly to maintain a busy dancefloor.

Imagine standing on a dancefloor waiting for Sweet child of mine to kick in.

Buttercake wrote: »
    Having a house party is fine for an ipod rattling away in the corner but a wedding is a different story. Venues could not care less about investing €xxxx in decent sound systems, elevator music and speeches is all they are designed for. A dancefloor needs speakers directed toward it from a stage so you'll need to hire a decent pa, speakers and lights which will prob be €200 incl setup and removal or get someone to do it for you and have them drive all the way back to the hire shop with the gear the next day.

While you might be fans of music like Kraftwerk and the XX, people will not dance to these songs and you will have a lot of work to cater for everyone while creating your playlist, even a proper dj would not have a premade playlist done, they will go with the crowd and unless you have everyone from the bar in Whelans there you will need a dj to adapt to a wedding crowd made up of all age groups from Aunt Nora who wants Abba and cousin Anto who wants Avicii.

After a few sherries, some guests may take it upon themselves to be guest dj and fiddle about with the ipod accidentally playing your audiobooks or "Gym Playlist"

Songs have intros and outros, some lasting minutes a DJ will chop and change these so you get to the good parts of songs quickly to maintain a busy dancefloor.

Imagine standing on a dancefloor waiting for Sweet child of mine to kick in.

Great food for thought here. Fantastic tips and advice on this thread. I'll be organising a 50th next year and I'm definitely getting a DJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Don't be afraid to use contacts when booking things to avoid the surcharges.

We are having a NYE wedding, and managed to book a very well know wedding band, because we booked through a friend of a friend we avoided the extra 500 euro they normally charge for NYE weddings. In fact we got a very competitive rate.

Also booked the wedding cake, the photographer, bridesmaids dresses and their jewellery this way and saved a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Can't believe so many people think a DJ is better than having a band.

Any wedding I've been to without a band has been half the fun of one with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Can't believe so many people think a DJ is better than having a band.

Any wedding I've been to without a band has been half the fun of one with one.

Fully agree. I have been to weddings with great bands and I've been to ones with mediocre bands and there is a massive difference. A good band makes the night. Most bands bring their own DJs these days, so the €2.5k cost may already include the DJ.

You need to factor in the age profile of your guests. If you have a lot of middle aged/older guests, then the band will be more their style. These are the people who will be the first up on the dancefloor - not the twenty-somethings. Believe me, on the night the last thing you want is an empty dancefloor after the first dance.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to use contacts when booking things to avoid the surcharges.

We are having a NYE wedding, and managed to book a very well know wedding band, because we booked through a friend of a friend we avoided the extra 500 euro they normally charge for NYE weddings. In fact we got a very competitive rate..

If you were asked to work your 9-5 job on new years eve into new years day too, you would expect extra double/triple time for doing it

the venues will certainly include there own surcharges for having waiters, bar staff, managers and chefs. Why should a band or dj be any different?

for a 4 piece band its a bit extra for working the most celebrated night of the year, they are away from friends and family. In the scheme of things a NYE wedding will be of greater expense all around and i would rather pay extra to have a happy band than a unhappy one cut down on price.

If you were asked to work your 9-5 job on new years eve into new years day too, you would expect extra double/triple time for doing it

the venues will certainly include there own surcharges for having waiters, bar staff, managers and chefs. Why should a band or dj be any different?

for a 4 piece band its a bit extra for working the most celebrated night of the year, they are away from friends and family. In the scheme of things a NYE wedding will be of greater expense all around and i would rather pay extra to have a happy band than a unhappy one cut down on price.

So far we've had nobody charge us extra for New Year's Eve. The hotel is charging the same as any other day of the year and even throwing a balloon drop at midnight in for free. We know our solmoniser so he's not charging us. Our dj is same price year round, flowers haven't cost us any extra either. We're not having cars, staying in hotel night before the wedding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

mrs_bosco wrote: »
    Hi all,

We are considering not having a DJ at our wedding, making a playlist ourselves and just using the venue's sound system.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done this before/attended a wedding where this was done before? Is it doable or a disaster waiting to happen?

The rest of the wedding is following the usual traditional format so we'll be having music at the ceremony and a band after the dinner.

Thanks very much! :)

I had typed a long rant out but then deleted it, as not to get banned.

I say cut the DJ. For everything that you will pay for, that saving of 3-400 is just going to be essential!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The busiest night of the year is Easter Saturday night, then Stephens Night with NYE being a distant 3rd on my opinion.

Bands don't work 9-5 hours in that line of work most of the time.
    It's late night work

When NYE falls on a Wed like this year, they get the opportunity to make even more money as it's not ok a fri/sat/sun.

All I know is that I'm not paying a band €4k for a Wednesday night when normally charge €2.4k for a Saturday night.

• Advertisement

The busiest night of the year is Easter Saturday night, then Stephens Night with NYE being a distant 3rd on my opinion.

Bands don't work 9-5 hours in that line of work most of the time.
    It's late night work

When NYE falls on a Wed like this year, they get the opportunity to make even more money as it's not ok a fri/sat/sun.

All I know is that I'm not paying a band €4k for a Wednesday night when normally charge €2.4k for a Saturday night.

The business of any given band is determined how good they are (in demand). A good band could sell august bank holiday Saturday 10 times over so price accordingly. Same with nye. Same with Easter sat. One usually isn't busier than the others for good bands as they'll be out anyway.
    There's a premium for nye as they could sell it out so many times and if 1 person won't pay it, the next will. And if they don't, well ya get to stay at home with family.
    Someone usually does pay it though if the band is good.
    For the record, I wouldn't pay 4k either. Might pay a little extra than going rate but 2.5 to 4 is too much. Then again, someone else might not think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobile Dj

I have only on my time as a Dj seen two hotels that have fitted large sound systems into the function room, (Cavan and Wicklow)

The basic Hotel system will not be able to manage the bass frequencies at high volume, this will lead to sound distortion or the amp will cut out if fitted with overload protection.

This idea has been going around for many years and gets the same response all the time.

Wedding Djs are not expensive for the service they provide.

Full evening Djs €350 - €450

After band Djs €200 - €300

Fees up or down depends on playing time, travel and amount of equipment required.

Argument for DJ only savings - Dj only against average wedding band savings would be around €1000. (saving of 2K for high end bands)

Bands and DJ combinations are really down to the couple, some use it to give a varied entertainment experience on the evening.

When looking at the Dj only option.

Experience of the DJ is essential

Sound and lighting, 2 speakers,2 lights in a room of 200 - 300 people would not be suitable
    (Bass bins and tops with enough lighting to give good atmosphere and a stage presence).

Back up equipment for all essential parts of the system.

A bit off topic I know but a DJ is there to create a party atmosphere by selecting and playing tracks that will work at the right time of the night, a pre recorded set or preset/preloaded playlist do not have the option to change direction if music is not working.

After a day of attention to detail to WOW the guests eg. Dress,cars,flowers,Dinner, singers etc, the last thing your guests will experience will be the DJ, so a bad one could ruin the memory of your wedding.

Food for thought,

Mobile DJ

(This is post is not an advertisement for my services nor is it intended to be as there are no
    website links,email address or numbers listed, All points listed are from personal
    experience)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

We skipped ceremony musicians and it wasn't noticed in the slightest, I found that that cost more than the DJ.
    If your iPod idea turns out badly, your guests will go to bed at 12.30. Nobody wants that.

Mobile Dj wrote: »
    I have only on my time as a Dj seen two hotels that have fitted large sound systems into the function room, (Cavan and Wicklow)

The basic Hotel system will not be able to manage the bass frequencies at high volume, this will lead to sound distortion or the amp will cut out if fitted with overload protection.

Cabra castle in cavan I think has one as they run dances and need it? where in wicklow?

old setanta house in celbridge used to have one but thats gone a while, Near the end of their existence I had a gig there, manager told me I had to play through their sound system as he didnt trust any DJ to manage his own levels but then tried to charge me 50e for the privilege. :D:D:D

2 months later they were gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

We are hiring a PA system for €150 cause our wedding is small - only 60 people & doing a virtual DJ with laptop. I have about 4/5 mates who are DJs, while I didnt want to ask them to DJ at our wedding cause they are guests, they have offered to set up the system for me, get all my music into playlists & can take over if the dancefloor dies! They will have everything broken up into playlists so they switch between them easily without having to actually DJ themselves!! Perfect :)

Cabra castle in cavan I think has one as they run dances and need it? where in wicklow?

old setanta house in celbridge used to have one but thats gone a while, Near the end of their existence I had a gig there, manager told me I had to play through their sound system as he didnt trust any DJ to manage his own levels but then tried to charge me 50e for the privilege. :D:D:D

2 months later they were gone.

Forgot about Setanta.

It's been a while since I've been to Cabra Castle, from memory there was Bose 802 speakers and again where under powered for the room (may have changed since I've been there)

Cavan Crystal & Amber springs were the two I remember , Wicklow hotel even had moving heads installed.

@color_girl The key points in your post

"I have about 4/5 mates who are DJ's, while I didn't want to ask them to DJ at our wedding cause they are guests"

"they have offered to set up the system for me, get all my music into playlists & can take over if the dancefloor dies!"

The fact is they will be there and more than likely they will step up and help if playlist is failing, this is not an option available to all couples getting married.

Our fee for a local wedding with 60 guests would be €250, so a saving of €100 would have been made here.

looking at the time spent collecting & setting up equipment,checking levels,compiling playlists,talking equipment out at end of night and returning it to the hire company, it is not a huge saving.Also is there a back up amp or speaker should the unthinkable happen.

HTH's

• Advertisement

I know - I'm very lucky :) My chief witness (not doing bridesmaids or bridal party) is also a sound engineer!! Since she has no other bridesmaid-y style duties, her main duty was get a PA suitable & hook it up!

I know its not a huge saving but our budget was penny tight... so €100 was MASSIVE to us plus no one will have the music we like ;) haha!

color_girl wrote: »
    I know - I'm very lucky :) My chief witness (not doing bridesmaids or bridal party) is also a sound engineer!! Since she has no other bridesmaid-y style duties, her main duty was get a PA suitable & hook it up!

I know its not a huge saving but our budget was penny tight... so €100 was MASSIVE to us plus no one will have the music we like ;) haha!

Point to note to all brides make sure to invite a DJ, sound engineer and the owner of a PA hire shop.(LOL comment not meant to offend)

"no one will have the music we like" you think... I've had some unique music lists in my time..

You have my attention, Give us an example of your music tastes

Point to note to all brides make sure to invite a DJ, sound engineer and the owner of a PA hire shop.(LOL comment not meant to offend)

"no one will have the music we like" you think... I've had some unique music lists in my time..

You have my attention, Give us an example of your music tastes

haha I know... also handy to make friends with cake makers, dress makers & jewelers right? ;)

Oh dear I could expose ourselves now with very diverse and strange tastes in music - OH has everything from Clutch, Amon Amarth, Rob Zombie to Curve and Cubenate. While I have stuff like VNV Nation & Combichrist or And One & Assemblage 23 & Covenant. All of our friends like the same music but of course there is still something for everyone on the playlist from Blondie to Neil Diamond!! Its a very small wedding though & everyone has contributed to the playlist so it should be good craic :)

colorgirl, thats a great example of if youre on a very tight budget, do as much yourself as possible. And if you need to save 100e, then why not and we'll help as much as possible to make it work if you need any help. to save you 150 on the sound, you could spend 500e on 2 decent full range speakers from adverts, they hold their resale value pretty well, sell them on for same price afterwards.

Im with my Mobile DJ friend on one thing, Youd be surprised what pro guys have in their collection. Any time I hear someone say "ah I bet you wouldnt have a partiuclar song" its kind like asking a professional chef that he wouldnt be able to cook a steak a particular way. I had LCD soundsystem, white stripes and christy moore and tavares requested in a row last saturday night, eclectic crowd, no problem. DJs get a bad rap as theres an image of a guy playing any old songs from a playlist off a laptop, half the couples have friends who've download a free version of PCDJ or a cracked version of traktor and think this is it, Im a DJ. Sort of like saying I can cook a steak at home, Im a chef.

I was down in amber springs 3 times in the last month, I didnt recollect seeing the house system but I know they run dances and the local DJ brings his own rig in for it.

Think I have mixed the names up Amber is on the left on the way out of the town,

The one I am thinking of is further down and had a huge function room with 15 inch tops and moving heads in roof.

If I think of it and where it is I will let you know, It's been a while since I've been down that direction.

@color_girl . yip music taste now added to my unique list of music styles.

• Advertisement

Think I have mixed the names up Amber is on the left on the way out of the town,

The one I am thinking of is further down and had a huge function room with 15 inch tops and moving heads in roof.

If I think of it and where it is I will let you know, It's been a while since I've been down that direction.

@color_girl . yip music taste now added to my unique list of music styles.

That's probably the seafield. They've got the moving heads permanently installed. Was only down there last week and hadn't been there in a couple years. Didn't see the 15s though. Back again next month, must check that out.

Yip Seafield.

Black speakers each side of the room near ceiling with no brand name on them (12/15s), been a while so can't say if they are still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Wedding Djs are not expensive for the service they provide.

Full evening Djs €350 - €450

We paid double this in 2008, otherwise known as the rip off years :mad:

I'm paying a bit more than that for my full evening DJ. But, he's good at what he does and I know he's not ripping me off. I've heard so many good reports about him.

Karen23 wrote: »
    We paid double this in 2008, otherwise known as the rip off years :mad:

€900, I was never that expensive and I'm sure you were quoted a lot less by other Djs and either went for most expensive DJ bracket as you were probably like many others at the time with the "why are they cheaper" question

Full day or long playing times & Travel/accommodation costs would be the only reason for high fees at the time.

DJ A charges €200, DJ B charges €500, DJ C charges €1000

They are not all the same! - there are probably many reasons why they charge what they do and its all about supply & demand, that they can charge whatever they want, same with the venue you have your reception in. DJ A is probably young or new on the scene or desperate for a gig, probably doesn't pay any tax and is looking for a quick cash in hand, whereas DJ C probably spent 10k on his setup, is there for the entire day and does x,y and z.

Hotel A charges €20 per head, Hotel B charges €50 per head, Hotel C charges €100 per head.

if someone wants to only spend €200, there are plenty who will do it for that, but it doesn't mean the one who charges €1000 is a rip off. Things are only a rip off when you don't have a choice.

The same can be applied to anything, dresses, honeymoons, cakes, houses, cars, tins of beans etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Our DJ wasn't very expensive but I think with hindsight I wouldn't have bothered having one and would have asked the band to play an extra half hour. We didn't have a hotel wedding so there was no residents' bar planned and I was about ready to call it a night by 1am. DJ was grand but wouldn't have been missed if we'd wrapped the party up earlier with the band alone. I've never been bowled over by a wedding DJ, I'm usually ready for bed after the long day by the time the band finishes up.

DJ A charges €200, DJ B charges €500, DJ C charges €1000

They are not all the same! - there are probably many reasons why they charge what they do and its all about supply & demand, that they can charge whatever they want, same with the venue you have your reception in. DJ A is probably young or new on the scene or desperate for a gig, probably doesn't pay any tax and is looking for a quick cash in hand, whereas DJ C probably spent 10k on his setup, is there for the entire day and does x,y and z.

Hotel A charges €20 per head, Hotel B charges €50 per head, Hotel C charges €100 per head.

if someone wants to only spend €200, there are plenty who will do it for that, but it doesn't mean the one who charges €1000 is a rip off. Things are only a rip off when you don't have a choice.

The same can be applied to anything, dresses, honeymoons, cakes, houses, cars, tins of beans etc

What happened DJ B @ €500.

Also spent 10K+ on equipment, experienced, paying tax and matched standard of DJ C leaving the fee being the only difference.

Lets be clear the text highlighted by Karen23 was for a full evening which would have a playing time 9pm - 2.30am, so no need to be there all day.

The additional cost could be down to marketing overheads, commission added by booking agent or as said before travel/accommodation costs

I'm in the DJ B range and am there because I try to keep prices reasonable as possible.

Question here is simple, when it came down to price does the default setting go to more expensive "must be better"

way off original topic with this now so signing off with points above.

Question here is simple, when it came down to price does the default setting go to more expensive "must be better".

not at all but the same as when you book a room in a 5star hotel compared to a 3star hotel, you will expect more from the provider across the board, and someone charging 1k while technically may not be any better than someone charging less, they charge what he/she does for a reason or maybe a sum of many reasons.

If they were charging 1k a gig and were terrible, im pretty sure they wouldnt be in business too long.

not at all but the same as when you book a room in a 5star hotel compared to a 3star hotel, you will expect more from the provider across the board, and someone charging 1k while technically may not be any better than someone charging less, they charge what he/she does for a reason or maybe a sum of many reasons.

If they were charging 1k a gig and were terrible, im pretty sure they wouldnt be in business too long.

most definitely.
    Theres a business principle that exists (has a name that I cant remember) that if something costs more then it must be better but that would only last so long. You'd have to actually be better to justify it.

same for any of the providors, its mostly word of mouth, they may get some work based on that principle but if they cant back it up, work will dry up until they either start justifying that cost or lower that cost.

the industry gets hurt by this though, take a guy who hears he can charge 800e for a night, isnt any good but charges 800e, (should be charging 200e) , now anyone who's seen this guy is thinking all DJs are crap and overpriced. If you see a good guy in operation, youll know the difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement