Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Broadband Scheme Information Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭clohamon

Earthday wrote: »

Who are National wireless broadband?, tried to look them, found nothing about them, is it also midband??.

http://www.nwb.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

2 Wireless providers listed that don't cover my area plus QSAT total joke.

This is a waste of time,. Ripplecom are being suggested to everyone in Munster and Leinster even though Ripplecom are actually ABANDONING parts of their network nowadays...and much of the rest of it plain don't work. :(

Hound your local TD and get them to ask Rabbitte why he is recommending services that do not match his own spec...or are not available.

People with split lines can try ordering a completely new line ....where the install cost is free right now unless the job costs eircom €7k or over....and they must inform you it will in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Here's another bit of stupidity. I have 3 companies listed and my next door neighbor has 4 (3 the same plus one extra), why? Makes no sence. There's nothing that he could get that I can't - but thats still a big zero.

Just wondering did everyone get QSAT as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭long_b

I got QSAT anwyays (apologies if I'm repeating myself)

Paraphrasing the terms of the RBS it says that if none of the listed companies can provide you with a service then the Department will sort something else out - with a Satellite provider in the mix surely this will only be a handful of cases

What would be the best case scenario with the different types of operators ?

Eircom (appearing as Eircom/Emobile)
    Would they actually upgrade your current phone line if you were marginal I wonder ?

Mobile operators
    Would they just put a repeater in close to your house or can they do anything else ? Would the repeater improve the strength of your 3G signal (I know speeds vary)

Fixed Wireless providers
    I take it if you can't get it you just can't get it (like me with Ripplecom - trees in the way)

Satellite
    These guys would have to provide a customised package for RBS customers ?

long_b wrote: »
    Eircom (appearing as Eircom/Emobile)
    Would they actually upgrade your current phone line if you were marginal I wonder ?

Best thing to do is get a new line in and ditch the old one. eircom will wait until 'all else fails'. eMobile is 3g , ie cack.
    Mobile operators
    Would they just put a repeater in close to your house or can they do anything else ? Would the repeater improve the strength of your 3G signal (I know speeds vary)

Repeater in the house itself.
    Fixed Wireless providers
    I take it if you can't get it you just can't get it (like me with Ripplecom - trees in the way)

Department is unaware of trees, make a point of informing them about trees and ask them to suggest technologies that can cope with trees.
    Satellite
    These guys would have to provide a customised package for RBS customers ?

1. They can't really. They are resellers. ( Unless ???) They use the Hylas sat at 33.5w not Astra at 28.8e by the way. The Cap is crazy right now.
    2. emmm ummmmm Trees. :) Very high frequency used ( Ka Band) and rain fade is a major issue too.

Many small communities would be better off doing what the people of Clashmore did last year. Read > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74983299

RBS funding could be retroactively claimed against the cost ( assuming people had applied) .....which was not horrendous.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Best thing to do is get a new line in and ditch the old one. eircom will wait until 'all else fails'.
    Can you be sure they won't just split an existing line ?
    I'm assuming this woudn't do me any good as my issue is distance from the exchange - or would new wire improve my chances of getting increased speeds ?

Repeater in the house itself.
    So this would give me a better "grab" on whatever bandwith is available at the time ?
    The Cap is crazy right now
    Wonder if they'll try to work the NightSaver feature (http://www.qsat.ie/nightsaver) into the 10 GB?

Can you be sure they won't just split an existing line ?
    I'm assuming this woudn't do me any good as my issue is distance from the exchange - or would new wire improve my chances of getting increased speeds ?

New wire improves your chances. Anyway if it is split ( simply ask the engineer) don't let the engineer in and he cannot install a socket thereby completing the order. Then they get nothing off you.

I know people at 4 miles away plus on broadband...maybe only 1mbit but it works,

So this would give me a better "grab" on whatever bandwith is available at the time ?

Exactly, as it is 3g you simply should louder than the neighbours.

Wonder if they'll try to work the NightSaver feature (http://www.qsat.ie/nightsaver) into the 10 GB?

Nope, it is just that satellite is crap.

Nope, it is just that satellite is crap.

True but it supposed to meet the RBS standards of min 10GB down etc how it can beats me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

This is a waste of time,. Ripplecom are being suggested to everyone in Munster and Leinster even though Ripplecom are actually ABANDONING parts of their network nowadays...and much of the rest of it plain don't work. :(

Hound your local TD and get them to ask Rabbitte why he is recommending services that do not match his own spec...or are not available.

People with split lines can try ordering a completely new line ....where the install cost is free right now unless the job costs eircom €7k or over....and they must inform you it will in advance.

Ripplecom have also just increased their prices and introduced a monthly cap on download and upload.

OK so has anyone got the slightest idea how long it should be before we hear anything from the ISP's on the list that was sent out after the form was signed and returned?

I'm already thinking that all that will happen is that the ISP's will cherry pick a few customers that they can easily provide a service for and ignore the rest leaving many people with no service and no contact?

• Advertisement

The address you gave must be in a NON NBS area or they will have excluded you. It is up to you to make contact with the listed providers.

Claim trees block qsat ( to west ) and wireless.

Do not accept QSAT as they cannot give you a 2 own and 256k up package with a minimum 10GB down and 1 up cap. Furthermore you cannot use VoIP on it, high latency,

Tell the department none of the carriers they listed can provide the minimum specification and you will therefore require further assistance. They have a kitty of around €5000 per valid applicant to help you.

eircom have some ADSL repeaters tested and ready I hear.

The address you gave must be in a NON NBS area or they will have excluded you. It is up to you to make contact with the listed providers.

Claim trees block qsat ( to west ) and wireless.

Do not accept QSAT as they cannot give you a 2 own and 256k up package with a minimum 10GB down and 1 up cap. Furthermore you cannot use VoIP on it, high latency,

Tell the department none of the carriers they listed can provide the minimum specification and you will therefore require further assistance. They have a kitty of around €5000 per valid applicant to help you.

eircom have some ADSL repeaters tested and ready I hear.

No worries on QSAT I'm in the side of a hill and can't see anyones satellite

I know the other 2 on my list can't help me as they have been asked before and sent engineers out so I was wondering how long to leave it before getting back the DCNER?

Edit....

The form I signed and sent back was to give the providers permission to contact me everyone afaik got the same from to fill out sign and return.

2nd Edit....

DCNER didn't send out any contact detials for the ISPs just a list of names.

No worries on QSAT I'm in the side of a hill and can't see anyones satellite

I know the other 2 on my list can't help me as they have been asked before and sent engineers out so I was wondering how long to leave it before getting back the DCNER?

Edit....

The form I signed and sent back was to give the providers permission to contact me everyone afaik got the same from to fill out sign and return.

2nd Edit....

DCNER didn't send out any contact detials for the ISPs just a list of names.
    I also understand it that the next step is for any interested ISP to contact me directly.

Edit: Official update

Many applicants have already responded to these letters and we have now issued a Final Reminder to remaining applicants. If you wish to remain in the RBS, please sign the Consent Form which is attached to your letter and return it to us as soon as possible to reach us by 16 March 2012 at the latest.

If you receive a Reminder letter and have recently returned a consent form to us, there is no need to do so again.

Please note that if you do not return the consent form by this Final Deadline it will be assumed that you no longer wish to participate in the RBS and your application will be closed. It will not be possible to re-open an application once this final deadline for return of consent forms has passed.

It is expected that a significant number of applicants may be served by commercial operators as part of this phase of the scheme. If any applicants remain un-served after this phase, a service will have to be procured by the Department and our target is to have this rolled out by the end of this year.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/Communications+Development/Rural+Broadband+Scheme

SB, Is this the type of DSL repeater ?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ADSL_Loop_Extender.JPG

I dunno the model. Just tell them on the consent that there are trees all around and that wireless 3g and satellite from SW will not work...so that means DSL Repeater or nothing. Nobody will come onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bill Shock

I dunno the model. Just tell them on the consent that there are trees all around and that wireless 3g and satellite from SW will not work...so that means DSL Repeater or nothing. Nobody will come onsite.

very helpful advice! My brother is an applicant (Cork) and he is of the opinion that given where his house is located, a satellite solution is the only one that is likely to work for him.

given this scheme is aimed at those remaining hard-to reach houses you have to wonder at the logic of following the "advice" above. It suggests to me that there are people out there naive enough to believe that the govt will procure some fancy high speed solution for those premises that claim they can't be connected by any of the companies who have expressed an interest in serving them. Having read the stuff that came to him from the dept. it suggestd if you don't take an offer from at least one of these companies you're out.

As someone said earlier it looks as if there will be no need for a procured service at the end of this process????

That is the plan, of the 3700 who applied the government hopes to peddle Qsat to 3500.

That leaves a pot of c.€20m and 200 premises to do, sure eircom would nearly give them an exchange EACH if they got €100,000 per premises and never mind a repeater. :D

Finally got a letter today re: RBS from a provider - QSAT :rolleyes:

Totaly waste of my time and theirs - RBS cop out.

Now waiting to see if the other 2 send out anything?

Was just thinking about this yesterday - did they offer the full data allowance as per the specs ?

Was just thinking about this yesterday - did they offer the full data allowance as per the specs ?

yep this it what is says:
    Q Sat - Rural Broadband Scheme Package:

Download Speed: 2048 Kbs. (2Meg)
    Upload Speed: 256 Kbs
    Maximum Contention rate: 48:1
    Data Cap (uncharged): 11Gig (10 down/1 up)
    And will be charged subject to the following upfront and monthly charges:
    Upfront Charge: €99 (inc VAT)
    Monthly Charge: €39.50 (inc VAT)
    Based on a contract period of 12 months

They also list some other services Popular, Premium and Platinum to try and persuade you into another package as all the alternatives are faster download speeds but mostly lower caps only the Platinum service is better same cap 6Mbs down 1Mbps up 10Gig download allowance for €44.95

I do not believe that Qsat will give anybody a full and unhindered 11GB download cap before some timed throttle kicks in and chokes them. I'd be happy were my suspicions proven as unfounded.

• Advertisement

I do not believe that Qsat will give anybody a full and unhindered 11GB download cap before some timed throttle kicks in and chokes them. I'd be happy were my suspicions proven as unfounded.

I'm only quoting what the letter says :D It has a sign up form that says "I have read and accepted Q Sat terms and conditions..." but they don't include a copy :rolleyes:

From their website
    Maximum Contention rate: 48:1
    Installation fee: €99
    Contract period: 12 months

Static IP addresses are available for €5/month.

Tiered speed limiting based on quota usage

Invoices available on request

*Speeds are “up to” and depend on atmospheric conditions, fair usage and other factors. Speeds are measured in Kilo and Mega bits per second & Data Allowance is measured in Gigabytes per calendar month. Traffic allowance per month is the sum of your download and upload traffic.

http://www.qsat.ie/q-sat-is-the-best-choice

Can't find their Fair Usage Policy ANYWHERE on the website - even though it says it's displayed on www.qsat.ie in the T&Cs

I'm only quoting what the letter says :D It has a sign up form that says "I have read and accepted Q Sat terms and conditions..." but they don't include a copy :rolleyes:

You should be on a 'special' set of T&Cs as an RBS user and that should be clear.

Another interesting part of the Q Sat bump just above where you sign says this and I quote:
    I understand that the monthly fee in advance will cover my first month's broadband service for one month from the date of successful installation. This agreement will remain in force for 24months (12 months fo the RBS package) and thereafter on a monthly bases untill cancelled by either party giving one months notice in writing.

OK so if you pick a different package as they are encouraging you to do by sending out info on their other packages and don'r pick the RBS one you are stuck on a 24month contract and you are paying a month in advance.

So if you think a fiver a month extra isn't much I'll go for the fastest package you've just got yourself stuck on a 24 month contract.

Another interesting part of the Q Sat bump just above where you sign says this and I quote:

OK so if you pick a different package as they are encouraging you to do by sending out info on their other packages and don'r pick the RBS one you are stuck on a 24month contract and you are paying a month in advance.

So if you think a fiver a month extra isn't much I'll go for the fastest package you've just got yourself stuck on a 24 month contract.

Got the same mail out - not a mention of the terms of the Fair Usage Policy anywhere on it, nor on the website.

EDIT Just talked to them - the operate a 30 day rolling cap; no hourly or daily cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

This RBS was a total waste of time and money, QSat is not broadband, I have an O2 modem which I modified to take an aerial on the roof and I have better speeds then what they are offering me for half the price. I just ran a test there and this is what I got 1887632682.png

I will be sticking to my dongle for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

so far, got letters from qsat and Alphawave, alpha looks more promising so far.

Earthday wrote: »
    so far, got letters from qsat and Alphawave, alpha looks more promising so far.

And what method do Alphawave use for the connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 WhosAlice

I am certain that cannot be right, 48:1 contention! I thought that there capacity was so limited it would never make business sense for them to have such low contention at that price?

Is this just spiel?
    From their website

http://www.qsat.ie/q-sat-is-the-best-choice

Can't find their Fair Usage Policy ANYWHERE on the website - even though it says it's displayed on www.qsat.ie in the T&Cs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

And what method do Alphawave use for the connection?

they clam wireless broadband in 24:1 ratio however, I've done some research, and found this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454743

so not sure, they good or not, but I give them a try.
    But still have to be better then qsat.

Advertisement