Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midlands venue suggestions.

Options
  • 12-12-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    Just wondering if I could pick people's brains. I'm looking for a venue for approximately 140 people in the midlands area- Offaly, Laois, North Tipp, Kildare regions. We're hoping to find somewhere with a bit of character, nice grounds, accommodation for at least 50- 60 (which rules out a lot of country houses).
    Our other thought is to have a "pig on a spit" type meal, if anyone has done this, how did it work out? Was there long waits to be served, was there any complaints/comments by guests?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

The 2 venues in Castletowngeoghan in westmeath might be worth checking out if you want to look a bit further.
    Middletown park house can accommodate up to 50 guests overnight but i'd say you can squeeze a few more in and there are plenty of b&bs locally. I've been there a few times and we checked it out when we were wedding shopping, it really is a great venue and the staff seem to be really nice too.
    We ended up going with Mount Druid which right beside the centre of the village. its a little bit of a different venue with plenty of yurts and woodcutters huts to accommodate your guests, again the B&Bs are there for anyone who that wouldn't suit.

Kinnitty castle might be worth checking out also, but i'm not sure if they have the accommodation you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Step house or borris house carlow
    Mph is great too,
    Kilshane house

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wicklass

Thank you for the suggestions - I've been to a wedding in MPH, and while the food and staff were fantastic, I wasn't overly keen on the room layout downstairs.
    Will definitely check out your other suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Ashley Park house in Nenagh, or Aherlow House Hotel near Tipp town maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

castle durrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭McCloskey_A

Would highly recommend the Abbeyleix Manor hotel in Laois- we got married there 3 months ago, and everything was fantastic!! The staff were absolutely brilliant along with Anne Marie the GM and we could not have asked for more!
    This hotel really deserves much higher profile!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 golf7

Just noticed your post on Mount Druid. We are thinking of it as a possible venue. Love the style of the place. What is a little off putting is the rental charge. Were they in general good for negotiating prices with?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

eoglyn wrote: »
    The 2 venues in Castletowngeoghan in westmeath might be worth checking out if you want to look a bit further.
    Middletown park house can accommodate up to 50 guests overnight but i'd say you can squeeze a few more in and there are plenty of b&bs locally. I've been there a few times and we checked it out when we were wedding shopping, it really is a great venue and the staff seem to be really nice too.
    We ended up going with Mount Druid which right beside the centre of the village. its a little bit of a different venue with plenty of yurts and woodcutters huts to accommodate your guests, again the B&Bs are there for anyone who that wouldn't suit.

Kinnitty castle might be worth checking out also, but i'm not sure if they have the accommodation you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ponderousanon

In the very same situation golf! Love the venue but it seems to work out just too expensive and so far, there doesn't seem to be any sway. Best we were offered was the use of the barn on the second day for free if we used their drink instead of bringing it in ourselves. Let us know if you do better or what you decide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lucky lass

Hey just wondering if you booked mount Druid for your wedding and how you have found them to deal with? We have looked at lots of venues and everywhere else has fallen all over us trying to accommodate us. I love mound Druid and really want my wedding there but have found them quite confusing to deal with??

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

sweetie wrote: »
    Step house or borris house carlow
    Mph is great too,
    Kilshane house
    Excuse my ignorance but where is mph??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

anmhi02 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but where is mph??

Middleton Park House, Castletown Geogehan, Westmeath. www.mph.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i second castle durrow.

lovely venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Would *not* recommend the Lakeside in Killaloe, Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

sweetie wrote: »

Middleton Park House, Castletown Geogehan, Westmeath. www.mph.ie
    Ah right.....ta :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Lucky lass wrote: »
    Hey just wondering if you booked mount Druid for your wedding and how you have found them to deal with? We have looked at lots of venues and everywhere else has fallen all over us trying to accommodate us. I love mound Druid and really want my wedding there but have found them quite confusing to deal with??

We went for a viewing there and found them really straight forward.
    What's confusing you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Rathsallagh in Wicklow is great. We got married there last year. The place has beautiful grounds and 29 bedrooms..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheBlaggard

Lucky lass wrote: »

Hey, we just checked out Mt Druid last week and love it. I thought they were very helpful and seem very accommodating for any special requests we have for the wedding. Seems like a great venue, perfect if you're looking for a 2+ day wedding. Some downsides are shared toilets/showers and no electricity in the yurts, but they have 3 & 5 bedroom houses which we are planning to use to house the 'elders' in our family.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

Just got married in Kinnitty Castle, I know people probably think their own wedding is best but we got so many compliments from the guests. The venue/function room is that bit different which was a talking point and you have it solely for the wedding for the day. Food was great, no long waits and while the room can hold up to 200 it actually suits best 140 plus has 37 bedrooms so iwll be able to accommodate the numbers you require.

Really worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 weefa

Just got engaged and REALLY want to be able to afford Mount Druid but I havn't a hope! It Looks beautiful but this is going to be a real budget wedding as my fiance is a full time student. I thought it was a bit rich to look for 1800euro charge first and then add at least 45pp on food especially since my wedding would have booked out all the accommodation for the night, so that's another couple of grand in their pocket! Ther has to be a way to get the same vibe for a fraction of the price!!

AFAIK you have to book out all accommodation anyway weefa.
    6300 for 100 is what I worked it out as, without acc.

• Advertisement

I completely agree that Mount Druid are completely overcharging, it is a lovely idea for a venue but the prices just do not match what's being offered... not by a long shot! It's disappointing alright. Hotels just are the cheapest way to go... we really wanted something diff and I thought cheap and cheerful... but cheap alternative is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 weefa

It's mental money isn't it! Don't get me wrong if i had no budget I would be very tempted but if the weather is bad it wouldn't be the same at all. I am hoping to re-create the same feeling at a fraction of the cost. trying to find a venue at the moment that will be suitable for what i want that can accommodate people too. At the moment the best option seems to be renting a holiday villiage and putting up a marquee and getting in some chef's to do a barbeque.

That sounds really gorgeous! We sold out on our dream as we found a lovely hotel that covers nearly everything at 39 per person. I hope you manage to get exactly what you want at a good price :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

castle durrow.
    The main house is very nice but the function room is at the very end of the grounds, I can never see the point of a booking a castle or stately home and you end up eating in a barn or tent..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Borderfox wrote: »
    The main house is very nice but the function room is at the very end of the grounds, I can never see the point of a booking a castle or stately home and you end up eating in a barn or tent..

Yes its at the other end of the venue, but from a musicians point of view, the room is great to play, never a bad night there.

some places that are split into several rooms while are usually good nights dont often lend themselves to great nights.

Marquee option works out just as expensive, especially if you factor in a catering tent, toilets, ice machine or similar etc.

What sort of budget are you looking at weefa and what location? Might be able to suggest a few places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

I completely agree that Mount Druid are completely overcharging, it is a lovely idea for a venue but the prices just do not match what's being offered... not by a long shot! It's disappointing alright. Hotels just are the cheapest way to go... we really wanted something diff and I thought cheap and cheerful... but cheap alternative is not!

Sorry to drag up an old thread,but this is the most recent review of mount druid i could find. My fiance absolutely fell in love with mount druid, it's exactly the laid back vibe we are going for. I'm just wondering how overpriced they are though? It looks fab and very unique, plus very casual. Any feedback or reviews would be great, most of what I have seen online has been positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

According to Weddingonline their prices start from €45. That's very good for type of venue it is! Check out Kippure Estate, €45 too with some great cottages for your guests.

Leixlip Manor is either €40 or €45 and they do a lovely Vintage Package with a BBQ which would be fun and chilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

According to Weddingonline their prices start from €45. That's very good for type of venue it is! Check out Kippure Estate, €45 too with some great cottages for your guests.

Leixlip Manor is either €40 or €45 and they do a lovely Vintage Package with a BBQ which would be fun and chilled.

Thank you,they all look great! Exactly the kind of thing I'm Looking for thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

Thank you,they all look great! Exactly the kind of thing I'm Looking for thanks!

Kippure Estate actually starts at €35 per head! I'm so tempted by it myself. But I also love Langtons Set Theatre in Kilkenny; they offer quite a lot for just €30-€35 per person! They have a great dessert table with a chocolate fountain for extra €6pp... would be a bit of fun and tasty too!

Advertisement