Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small wedding for 15 people

Options
  • 29-08-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,

Having moved our wedding from Corfu to Scotland and now to Ireland trying to suit parents, I finally found the lovely Inishbeg in Cork but now the parents are also complaining about the drive from Dublin to West Cork in winter weather. Does anyone know of a wedding venue that would cater for just 15 people that is within a 2hr drive of Dublin?

I've found a few places around Louth/Meath but none are interested in such a small group. I am looking to have a civil ceremony on site and we don't need exclusive use of a wedding as it will be so small, we just want something extremely relaxed.

Also we are hoping for a wedding this Christmas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

How about somewhere like Finnstown County House in Lucan, We stayed here a few years ago and was very impressed.

http://www.finnstowncastlehotel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

What about somewhere like Fallon & Bryne? http://www.fallonandbyrne.com/ Ye could have a funky urban wedding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

snoopy29 wrote: »
    Hi,

Having moved our wedding from Corfu to Scotland and now to Ireland trying to suit parents, I finally found the lovely Inishbeg in Cork but now the parents are also complaining about the drive from Dublin to West Cork in winter weather. Does anyone know of a wedding venue that would cater for just 15 people that is within a 2hr drive of Dublin?

I've found a few places around Louth/Meath but none are interested in such a small group. I am looking to have a civil ceremony on site and we don't need exclusive use of a wedding as it will be so small, we just want something extremely relaxed.

Also we are hoping for a wedding this Christmas!

Why are you trying to suit parents? Its your special day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

Killruddery House in Bray? They host civil ceremonies in the beautiful Orangery or the whole event or you could opt for a lovely lunch/dinner in The Fern Tree @ Avoca nearby after.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Why are you trying to suit parents? Its your special day!!

I thought the very same thing go with the venue you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The Angler's Rest by the Strawberry Beds might be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

We had our beautiful day in Athenaeum House Hotel in Waterford... only 13 adults, had civil ceremony in their lovely ornate private room and loved every moment of it, and staff made us feel like the most special people... just sat and had a beautiful meal, and hired a guy to play a bit of music and sat in the lovely little lounge area that we had all to ourselves due to the quiet time in the hotel.

Is an ideal place for a nice spring wedding.. http://athenaeumhousehotel.com/weddings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

rooms are just too big in those venues like finnstown and fallons. Ive seen 70 and 80 in there at small weddings and they looked lost. 15 is 1-2 tables max. unless it was an unpopular weeknight expect a no anyway.

In dublin try
    Odessa
    Hibernian club
    http://www.medley.ie/wedding-venues-dublin/

Avoca in wicklow is a great spot and does weddings, but again, for 15 people might not be worth their while so you might have to share an area but try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

Hi

We had our wedding in Hotel Kilkenny and they do small weddings we have a small number for the main meal and the 200 in for a BBQ.

The room we were in for the meal was a lovely size and they made us feel very welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Fiachri House in Roscrea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Try Raheen House in Clonmel?? They have a lovely small room ideal for those kind of numbers, and when I enquired recently, they had a fair bit of availability around Xmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

How about Beaufield Mews in Stillorgan?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭morebarn2

I would second the Atheneaum House Hotel in Waterford. I have been to a few small family functions there, and it has always been a lovely venue. The owners really look after their guests so well.

Christmas time is gorgeous there,very atmospheric and cosy.

With regards to your parents and driving : - you will have a terriffic motorway, the M9 straight down to Waterford. No tolls ! The hotel is about 5minutes off the motorway when you reach the city.

It normallly takes us about 2hours,or sometimes less to get from Dublin city centre,or suburbs,to Waterford. So it never feels like a long or stressful drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been in touch with The Village at Lyons, however, they have a minimum fee of €5000 which seems a bit excessive for 15 people. The Inn at Inistioge looked perfect but they've closed down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been in touch with The Village at Lyons, however, they have a minimum fee of €5000 which seems a bit excessive for 15 people. The Inn at Inistioge looked perfect but they've closed down!

For those numbers, Would you try one of the Michelin restaraunts in Dublin. Most have private rooms, chapter one for example.

I've contacted Fallon and Byrne about getting a table in the restaurant which may be an option, I guess I had just thought to get out of the city would be nice. Kilgraney House looked lovely but they are closing until March 2015.

Lock's Brasserie and the Cliff Town House do private dining also.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

Cliff Town House would be good for your numbers. If you even google Private Dining in Dublin, you may find a place that suits your needs. It depends on what food you would like to have...
    There's also Aqua in Howth or Bon Appetite in Malahide

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The Anglers Rest in the Strawberry Beds is very picturesque.

The events/wedding planner there Mary is excellent. I organised a group dinner through her a few years back.

Can anyone help out with making civil registrar apts? We're going to see The Village at Lyons on Sunday and if we like it we need to book asap. I am struggling with the 3 mth notification period and we are looking at mid December date. it appears on the Civil Registrar's website that you need to make the apt for marriage notification in the same country as the wedding venue, is that correct?

Also has anyone had to get an apostile stamp on their birth cert if not from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Vintagechic

I know of someone who had a small wedding group at Langtons in Kilkenny. Also I know its a bit further but the Cliff House Hotel in Ardmore, Co. Waterford also have a room that caters for small groups. Its really nice with amazing views.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

it appears on the Civil Registrar's website that you need to make the apt for marriage notification in the same country as the wedding venue, is that correct?

Not correct you can register in any county.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Bit over two hours, but well worth it. Have the place to yourselves and be treated exceptionally well. http://hiltonpark.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Was going to say, stay in Dublin and go to chapter one. Had the best meal/day of my life there with my family after PhD graduation. We had 16 I think that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Wineport just outside Athlone

We went to The Village at Lyons and they have some availability in Dec but while it was very pretty the OH wasn't impressed with how many couples were going in and out like a roundabout doing the same thing as us and just didn't feel right. We remembered a lovely B&B/hotel we stayed in Dingle and they don't normally do weddings but they have said they will, now we just cant find a free celebrant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

amdublin wrote: »
    The Anglers Rest in the Strawberry Beds is very picturesque.

The events/wedding planner there Mary is excellent. I organised a group dinner through her a few years back.

I was at a wedding here, the food is lovely and apparently it was really good value and the organiser was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Why do you have to suit your parents so much, shouldn't they make the effort for your wedding day?

Anyway, I had my wedding at Tankardstown House in Co. Meath - http://www.tankardstown.ie/wedding-venue

Absolutely wonderful venue & the staff were incredible. Highly recommended.

Advertisement