Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Clothes

Options
  • 17-07-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Looked at old threads but they all seem to be fairly old.

At 9 weeks on my 2nd and I want to buy a few bits - old stuff a bit worn looking.

Also i have 2 weddings coming up - i will be 15weeks and 18 weeks at these weddings - but as i am already bursting out of my clothes i know none of my dresses will fit me by then.

i'd like to get something online maybe.

I know new look /h&m/ next etc

any other websites i should be aware of? dont want to spend the earth on these items - esp the dresses as they will be worn once..

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I've got lots of lovely bits and pieces here throughout my pregnancy. It's not too dear and above all else I find the quality of the stuff amazing, they also do free delivery.

Here are there dresses at the moment:

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/pp+maternity+dresses

I think the top three are lovely and could easily be accessorised too.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I got fab stuff second hand on e bay and adverts. It was all immaculate and so cheap. I know buying 2nd hand is not for everyone but the clothes are worn so little a few months max I got great quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I second JojoMamanBebe. A lot of their maternity clothing is also suitable for breastfeeding so they're worth the expense.

Asos is worth a look. And also Seraphine, they often have sales on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

+1 for seraphine, got a couple of dresses fow weddings this year, bout €60 per dress. Have also found non-maternity wrap dresses in a size up a life saver for various functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

i love GAP for maternity wear. Its only sold on their online store:
    http://www.gap.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I'll second Asos, I found their sizes fairly good, maybe a teeny bit on the larger side but I got some really decent buys in the sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I give a third strong vote for Jo Jo Maman Bebe. I've dressed myself almost entirely from their shop for my pregnancy. As a further incentive they have a sale on at the moment too.
    I bought the following items from there and have lived in them:
    http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+square-print-maternity-wrap-top-in-maternity-bestsellers+b4892
    This top I love and have also purchased it in black, navy and raspberry (all long sleeved version) and a cobalt blue short sleeve too. They are brilliant for work and casual wear too. Also they adjust as your bump develops so are never really going to be too small. I bought them in a small size and would generally be a size 8-10 on top.
    http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+dark-wash-bootleg-maternity-jeans-in-maternity-jeans+b4489
    http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+classic-wash-bootleg-maternity-jeans-in-maternity-jeans+a9900

I bought both of the above pairs of jeans too and have lived in them. The dark ones especially. I got them in my pre pregnancy size of 12 and they fit brilliantly.

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+black-maternity-shift-dress-in-maternity-dresses+b4772

I bought this dress for work and its been really great to have. I wear it with flip flops or wedges and can brighten it up with cardigans if needed. Its very comfy. I bought it when I was approx 20 weeks and had no hint of a bump at all but now that I am showing (29 weeks) its a really nice fit and looks great.
    http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+wide-leg-maternity-work-trousers-in-maternity-leggings-and-trousers+a9947
    I also got these black trousers for work and love them. I bought a pair of white linen and oatmeal trousers too for holidays and they have been worn a lot too. Again all in a size 12.

I ordered some on line and got some in the shop on Wicklow St. The staff in there are brilliant, really helpful and not at all pushy (looking at my list of things above they didn't need to push with me anyway did they:eek:). The on line stuff arrived within one week of my ordering it too.

I also got some stuff (more casual than you might be looking for OP) from www.boobdesign.com
    It is more expensive than Jo Jo but I've been very happy with it too. I got a few Before and After long sleeve t-shirts and tank top type thingys and one green dress. All of them have an adjustment that you can use for breastfeeding if you wish to do that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Thanks for that link Penny, just bought 3 lovely dresses on sale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Thanks every one - a few good ideas there - will be online all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HappyDays!

Have you tried All4mums?
    There is lovely wedding/party sort of dress on sale

It is reduced to 50 euro from 75 but I think sale is only till the end of weekend or so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I just picked up three pairs of maternity jeans reduced to a fiver in Penneys,they are amazing on, just delighted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Lashes28 wrote: »
    I just picked up three pairs of maternity jeans reduced to a fiver in Penneys,they are amazing on, just delighted!!

Wow, which Pennys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

In blanch! They were the last size 10s,the rest were 18 and 20s

You are lucky woman to fit in Pennys jeans. Every time Im trying a pair they are to small/to big/to long/ to "I look so fat" :-((

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I have gotten some beautiful maternity clothes at a great price on Zulily.co.uk. It depends on your style, but there is a line called Miccimo that comes up regularly and they have fab dresses that can be worn during and after pregnancy. They are usually extremely figure hugging though. I wore a dress the other day that I also wore at 9 months pregnant.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Does anyone know where you can get plus sized maternity clothes? I'm an 18/20, but after extensive searching online today it seems to be difficult to get anything larger than an 18 in the standard stores and there is hardly anything online. But maybe I've missed something?

I'm starting to think that the general attitude is if you are a larger lady you shouldn't be getting pregnant, or sure you just wear tents anyway so what would you want proper maternity clothes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Does anyone know where you can get plus sized maternity clothes? I'm an 18/20, but after extensive searching online today it seems to be difficult to get anything larger than an 18 in the standard stores and there is hardly anything online. But maybe I've missed something?

I'm starting to think that the general attitude is if you are a larger lady you shouldn't be getting pregnant, or sure you just wear tents anyway so what would you want proper maternity clothes for.

Simplybe.co.uk do sizes from 12-32 and they have a few nice maternity bits on sale at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Asos maternity, just search by size. I got some lovely bits last week.

I love Zulily but mostly for kids stuff. I have ordered maternity clothes before from them and came a bit to big...But as they were cheap it wasn't much point to send them back.
    Another problem with Zulily is that you have to wait for your order around 2-3 weeks. One time I was waiting for winter coat for my DD 6 weeks!! I end up buying another coat in Dunnes as weather get to cold for summer jacket. In fairness Zulily apologizes for the delay and add some store credit on to my account ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Thank you both very much ladies.
    lainycool wrote: »
    Simplybe.co.uk do sizes from 12-32 and they have a few nice maternity bits on sale at the moment!

Will have a look and see. Did a glance the other day but think I was put off as there was so much summer stuff and I was thinking ahead for winter.
    Dolbert wrote: »
    Asos maternity, just search by size. I got some lovely bits last week.

I had a look at Asos, but the pieces I liked all seemed to stop at a 16 or 18. I will try searching for sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

A lot of my "maternity" clothes were just clothes that I bought from shops where I usually shop, but in different styles, and maybe a size or two bigger. You'd probably need maternity-specific trousers and skirts alright, but you can find lovely loose flowy tops and dresses that really flatter the bump. For example, anything empire-line, or wrap-around dresses.

For my Christmas party at eight months pregnant, I got a gorgeous grey dress in Wallis - clingy stretchy material, gathered at the side of the stomach with a nice buckle detail - my only fear was that someone who wasn't pregnant would turn up in the same one, and people would think they were wearing a maternity dress. :o It was only a size bigger than my usual, and afterwards I gave it to my mum, it fits her perfectly and is really flattering on her (although it flatters her tummy, rather than emphasising the bump like it did for me!)

Penneys are fantastic for loose flowy tops, there were tops that I bought in my regular size that fitted me right up until the end, and were very comfortable to wear. A-wear tend to be good for the empire-line tops that sort of drape really nicely over the bump.

I'd probably invest in a good pair of maternity trousers, a pair of maternity jeans, and after that just experiment with different styles of non-maternity tops, rather than buying loads of maternity stuff for the few months. Oh and definitely buy maternity tights, they are sooooo comfy! H&M and Dunnes ones are good. I also found that non-wired maternity bras were much comfier as the bump got bigger, so worth investing in a couple of those.

If you're planning on breastfeeding, take this into account when buying clothes - will they work after the birth for this, as well as when you're pregnant? Again, you really don't need specific nursing clothes.

Oh and get comfy shoes! Very necessary as you get bigger and heavier ... but don't spend a fortune, as your feet may swell towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mimihand

I found ASOS brilliant for maternity dresses. This site has many different brands on their page so I found sizes varied. So if you get a ASOS size 10 that fits you, a Mammalious size 10 may not - so just be aware of that.
    I got a fab ASOS dress for a wedding, size 10, so I then went back and bought a few size 10 tops, which were not good at all. Very baggy, cheap looking and no shape at all...def wont make you feel good! As a result I would recommend ASOS dresses over their tops. I did get some lovely New Look tops though, that I live in nowadays (25 weeks gone), and they were true to size.

The return policy for ASOS is very good at €3.95 (when using parcel connect) regardless of the size/weigh of what you are returning. This is very good compared to other websites.

My local Pennys doesn't have maternity range in stock so cant comment on their jeans, but I have H&M jeans which are soooo cosy. At only 19.99 each I think they were good value, as I wear them almost ever day! H&M also had good cheap leggings.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I got two three euro pairs of maternity jeans in Penny's reduced from 15. They are really soft and a lovely colour. Can't go wrong for that price. I also find new look and h and m good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My best success has been ASDA. I'm between an 18-22 (I've actually lost weight all the way through the first 20weeks) depending on the brand of clothes and those sizes tend to be astronomically expensive. ASDA using parcel motel has been a godsend for reasonably priced clothes. I've got bra's, leggings, trousers, tops and a dress from them for very little compared to other places. Bra's in particular are good value while you are changing sizes.

I got the following;
    3 pack maternity (bump, leggings, top) 15pounds
    Floral Nursing dress 14 pounds
    Three pack short sleeved 15 pounds
    Formal Maternity Trousers 14 pounds
    Two pack bra 10 pounds

I honestly think 68 pounds for the 10 items was great value (pregnant or no)
    With a pair of maternity jeans from Simply Be I'm sorted now for the next few months if not to the end, plenty of room for expansion and I have a fair few empire line dresses to go with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

Other places if you want shop online are Funmum, Zulily, La Redoute etc.

There's a website where you can search through maternity clothes from all the shops that deliver to Ireland called Maternity Clothes Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

I loved seraphine.com for lovely quality clothes and not too expensive for the quality of them. But check the fabric before you buy - I ended up accidently with a dry-clean only breastfeeding top! Multiple baby pukes per day could make that a very expensive top!

Advertisement