Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

commute cycle Dublin city beginner gear

• 12-04-2014 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

I hope this is OK to post here (maybe a better forum?)
    Am looking to start cycling to work in Dub city - prob a 5k cycle or so.
    I was thinking of skipping BTW scheme from outset as I want to save it for if I get more into cycling & want a better bike in year or 2.

I was thinking to start with a bike like the Carrera Subway Limited Edition 2014 Hybrid Bike from halfords eur225.
    I want at a minimum to also buy a helmet, lock, hi-vis, lights and uncertain if I'd need mudguards...?
    Is there a starters pack that shops sell combining much of these?

What would I do if I got a puncture? :)

Any recommendations for beginner appreciated... 30s relatively unfit fella if makes any diff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Puncture: you change it on the side of the road with the spare tube you carry along with your tyre levers and pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

If you're skipping the BTW scheme, you'll be better off buying second hand. Have a look through adverts.ie.

If it's something you think you want to get into, I'd also advise getting a road bike from the start, rather than a hybrid. You can cycle to work in it the same as any bike, but if you want to take the long way home in the evening or bring it out for a spin on the weekend, you'll have a bike for the road. And definitely get mudguards for your commute, it'll mean less muck on you and your bike.

You'll grab a helmet, lock and lights for about 120 quid in your local bike shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Wizardej

I commute daily 11-12km using a carrera hybrid and would definitely suggest it for your commute. Have found it reliable and stable and has been great on the cycle lanes through the potholes! Plus I got the puncture resistant tyres on it and haven't had a puncture in 2 years despite all the rubbish about on the roads/cycle lane. Plus in the winter I would be more confident safety wise on the hybrid than a road bike (though that could just be me!). Can also keep up and pass those speeding away on the road bikes if you are worried about speed!
    Would recommend getting mud guards and a loud bell or horn for random people stepping out/other cyclists and getting lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Wizardej

Forgot to say hi-viz and helmet and maybe cycle shorts if needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ste wrote: »
    I hope this is OK to post here (maybe a better forum?)
    Am looking to start cycling to work in Dub city - prob a 5k cycle or so.
    I was thinking of skipping BTW scheme from outset as I want to save it for if I get more into cycling & want a better bike in year or 2.

I was thinking to start with a bike like the Carrera Subway Limited Edition 2014 Hybrid Bike from halfords eur225.
    I want at a minimum to also buy a helmet, lock, hi-vis, lights and uncertain if I'd need mudguards...?
    Is there a starters pack that shops sell combining much of these?

What would I do if I got a puncture? :)

Any recommendations for beginner appreciated... 30s relatively unfit fella if makes any diff

I still 'have' my Carrera Subway - which is to say I've loaned it out to many people who since gone on to get their own (better?) bikes. I think it's a good idea not to blow the CTW on the Carrera, but to save it.

You'll need mudguards - they're not essential but they make commuting in the wet that bit more comfortable. You might be able to pick some up secondhand.

Helmet - yes

Lock - yes (get two - one u-lock, one cable - especially if you are locking your new bike up somewhere that's not wholly secure)

Hi-vis - if you want.

Re the Hi-vis and the helmet, if you think or can see yourself getting into cycling in a meaningful way it might be worth spending a bit on a decent helmet and a decent, hard-shell wind-proof, water repellent jacket (with or without a hi-viz element).

For punctures carry two tubes, a small pump and levers and just swap out the tube if you puncture.

Depending on the tyres and you're commute I'd consider changing them. If you're on streets, paved road etc you don't want knobbly tyres (IIRC, my carrera came with some chunky ones).

Invest in a decent set of lights.

Keep an eye out for the Lidl & Aldi bike stuff - some of the clothing is not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Never ever leave your bike unattended, even outside a shop for 2 min..

Honestly I cannot stress this enough.

Change of clothes for work, water bottle if it a long commute, Gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Practise doing a tube change at home with just what you have in your bag. And inflating the tire. Highlight any issues before you encounter it in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

not yet wrote: »
    Never ever leave your bike unattended, even outside a shop for 2 min..

Honestly I cannot stress this enough.

Change of clothes for work, water bottle if it a long commute, Gloves.

For 5k I don't think you need a change of clothes or water bottle. Even if you are mega unfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

Keep it simple. Get a comfortable bike, good locks and cycle. Buy stuff after a few rides if you feel you need/want it. Cycling to work and home again is easy and fun and cheap. Cycling anywhere is magical, if you're not enjoying it then you're doing it wrong :)

Having said all that... I'm 50 and unfit and commute a bit further than you most days so don't worry about fitness.

Everything you can do to make your trip simpler, more comfortable and more reliable will make you more likely to use the bike again.

Get good locks, 1 U-lock and a cable one. Spend money on this! Expensive locks on a cheap bike aren't worth it. Having your stuff stolen sucks. Cycling somewhere and not being able to get home 'cos you've no bike sucks. Buying another bike sucks. Spending money on new locks sucks. That's a whole lot of suck that you can help prevent. You'll never regret buying decent locks.

For 5k any bike will do so don't freak out about which one you get. Perhaps avoid drop bars to begin with as they can feel a bit odd for some people and you really won't get any benefit from them. I also find that drop bars make a bike that is a bit too big or too small feel a lot more uncomfortable than similar mis-sizing on flat bars. This could just be me though. If you want to try them later on there are loads out there.

Get mudguards! Spend money on full length ones as they keep more of the road gunk off.

Whatever bike you get change the tyres for puncture resistant ones. Punctures take practice to fix fast and being late to work and covered in dirt will make you want to leave the bike at home next time. Wider tyres are more comfortable and a quick search here will give you a good idea of what puncture resistant tyres you can get.

Get a spare tube, tyre levers and a pump. Practice changing a tube, you'll be glad you did.

If you plan to bring anything to and from work (laptop etc) get a rack and pannier. Rucksacks are OK but they make your back sweat and you've got a bike that can carry stuff, let the frame take the strain.

Unless you're on a new bike get it serviced. Broken chains, crap brakes, gears that won't shift will all ruin a good day. Servicing is cheap, it keeps bike shops open and if you want you can learn to do it yourself, only just get it professionally done first. That way you'll know what it's all supposed to feel like when it's working properly.

Try using the bike on nice days for a while, the whole "in at the deep end" thing can just put you off. If you want to ride in the wet then get water resistant jacket and pants. Jacket is most important but get splashed by a car or truck and you'll wish you'd spent on the pants :)

Happy cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Great advice - thanks.
    Next step: do it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement