Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cassette change

Options
  • 11-04-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

hello all
    new to cycling and enjoying it BUT i struggle on hills and i know to improve is to keep doing them which i will but in the meantime i would like to change the rear cassette which may help me to get up them until i improve. at the moment i have 50/34 front and 27/12 9 speed ultegra and i struggle on some hills,:o my buddy has 50/34 with 12/32 which i have used and succeeded to get up same hills, would i be able to put same on my bike or even a 12/30, any help appreciated, thanks.

ps, by struggling i mean i have to walk :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ultegra 9 speed seem to go to 12/27 only but here's a link for a 9 speed Tiagra 11/30 (a lot less expensive too!).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-tiagra-hg50-9-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod387

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Just be careful because increasing to a 30 or 32 may require a long cage rear derailleur. Using a compact chainset (50/34) and a 12/27 cassette should get you up any hill in Ireland. My advice would be to stick with what you have, and just ride them there hills until your ability to get over them increases over time. Before ye know it you'll be going over the top of them no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

Ultegra 9 speed seem to go to 12/27 only but here's a link for a 9 speed Tiagra 11/30 (a lot less expensive too!).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-tiagra-hg50-9-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod387

thank you,
    would you think their would be any problem putting this cassette on my bike or would i have to make other changes ?

listrybabe wrote: »
    thank you,
    would you think their would be any problem putting this cassette on my bike or would i have to make other changes ?
    As Muckers said you may require a longer RD cage and possibly a longer chain. (It's a good idea to change the chain anyway).

Muckers wrote: »
    Just be careful because increasing to a 30 or 32 may require a long cage rear derailleur. Using a compact chainset (50/34) and a 12/27 cassette should get you up any hill in Ireland. My advice would be to stick with what you have, and just ride them there hills until your ability to get over them increases over time. Before ye know it you'll be going over the top of them no problem.

yes maybe i should BUT i cant, and it gets demoralising having to get off bike:mad: i just want to get up and over them and hopefully that will improve me
    and i could revert back to 12/27 as i improve, i am starting out from a very low level of fitness and feel i am improving but when i out with buddies getting off 2 or 3 times is i know annoying to them and embarrassing to me, thanks for your input though:)

• Advertisement

As Muckers said you may require a longer RD cage and possibly a longer chain. (It's a good idea to change the chain anyway).

sorry to be a pain with all the questions but how much would a longer RD cost approx, thank you

... and it gets demoralising having to get off...
    +1

I'm a very mediocre climber and have a 30 and a 28 on two of my bikes. I can manage almost anything in Ireland with these (still suffering on the Gap of Mamore) and can grind my way over Alpine climbs on a 28 but I don't think I could do Kilmashogue Lane without a 30.

sorry to be a pain with all the questions but how much would a longer RD cost approx, thank you
    I don't know if the full RD would have to be replaced or just the cage. I'll leave that question to the more knowledgeable.

(PS - an Ultegra is fairly high spec for a beginner)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

For the sake of €18 for a 12/30 Tiagra cassette on CRC, why not buy it and try it out. I fitted a 12/30 to my 9spd Tiagra Ridley (it originally had a 12/27) and it works 100% and only needed minor tweeking to get running sweet...despite only being 3 teeth more than the 27 it replaced, it makes a huge difference on mountain climbs.

I don't know if the full RD would have to be replaced or just the cage. I'll leave that question to the more knowledgeable.

(PS - an Ultegra is fairly high spec for a beginner)

yea ultegra maybe high spec but i aint :D its 10 years old and a mate has given me the use of it and he has no problem with me making a few changes and if i get to like this cycling (which for the most part i have )i will buy it off him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

hello all
    new to cycling and enjoying it BUT i struggle on hills and i know to improve is to keep doing them which i will but in the meantime i would like to change the rear cassette which may help me to get up them until i improve. at the moment i have 50/34 front and 27/12 9 speed ultegra and i struggle on some hills,:o my buddy has 50/34 with 12/32 which i have used and succeeded to get up same hills, would i be able to put same on my bike or even a 12/30, any help appreciated, thanks.

ps, by struggling i mean i have to walk :o

Stick with the kit you have. As others have said, you'd probably need a new rear derailleur.

If you find you have to stop, don't walk the rest of the hill. Stop, get your breath back and give it another go. You'll be amazed at what a 30s stop will do.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

CJC999 wrote: »
    For the sake of €18 for a 12/30 Tiagra cassette on CRC, why not buy it and try it out. I fitted a 12/30 to my 9spd Tiagra Ridley (it originally had a 12/27) and it works 100% and only needed minor tweeking to get running sweet...despite only being 3 teeth more than the 27 it replaced, it makes a huge difference on mountain climbs.

It works fine because you have a Tiagra long cage derailleur. Ultegra long cage derailleurs are like hens teeth.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-sora-3500-9-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod84819

Would be the cheapest option a new sora derailler is not going to be far of in performance to a 10 year old 9 speed ultegra. 10 speed tiagra and 105 derailleurs will work fine with 9 speed if you're happy to spend a bit more.

Have a look on the cycling adverts subforum plenty of 105 stuff comes up or out up a wanted post there.

Brian? wrote: »
    It works fine because you have a Tiagra long cage derailleur. Ultegra long cage derailleurs are like hens teeth.

was in to my local lbs and he ordered a 12/30 for me and apparently my deraillur will accomodate it no prob, thanks guys

Advertisement