Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV in the Camper

Options
  • 01-05-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a TV/DVD combo but need to figure out where to mount it first.

I’m thinking about putting a 16” into the overhead cabinet at the foot of the bed.

Best option of all would be to cut a hole in the bottom of the cabinet and fit it onto brackets that let it slide down vertically.

Problem is I’ve no idea where to find these brackets.

Has anyone done this or know where I could buy them ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I last week bought a Walker 16" combi saorview.Mounted it high over the back of the drivers head.Had to get a bracket made 1" flat iron welded.
    Must also say it replaced the analogue tv(dvd knackered)and the picture is great even with the aerial just strapped up in the boot.
    No help to you I'm afraid just saying no comparision in picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

defike wrote: »
    I last week bought a Walker 16" combi saorview.Mounted it high over the back of the drivers head.Had to get a bracket made 1" flat iron welded.
    Must also say it replaced the analogue tv(dvd knackered)and the picture is great even with the aerial just strapped up in the boot.
    No help to you I'm afraid just saying no comparision in picture quality.

Cheers. That's good to know as its the walker combo that I'm looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I've only ever seen the exorbitantly expensive motorised ones in that format, you could make one with full extension ballbearing drawer slides (b&q about €20). You'd probably want a gas strut or spring to stop it falling down when released and a bolt or catch to keep it up. A piece of shockcord makes a cheap and adjustable spring.

Thanks paddyp. I was afraid of that.

I think i've found a solution with this ...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HIGH-QUALITY-BT7525-LCD-TV-UNDER-CABINET-FLIP-DOWN-ALL-METAL-BRACKET-WHITE-/150801712021?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_TV_Wall_Mounts_Brackets&hash=item231c7b8395

I assume I can turn this upside down and mount it to the base of the overhead cabinet as this is the only part of the structure solid and thick enough to mount anything on. Then the TV can be pulled forward and back as needed. That's the plan anyway.

Don't forget your cables(power,aerial,scart)come out the back of tv just under the 4 mounting holes.If you're turning the tv upsidedown it will be just above the holes.It should still work for you though.

• Advertisement

I'll be putting the bracket in upside down if that makes sense. The cables will just sit in the cabinet till the tv's in use. It's not ideal but it won't get much use and I don't want to cut holes unless I really have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

You mean mounting in the cupboard and then flipping up with the cuprobard door open? Don't think the walker casing is up to vibration, potholes and braking forces with the standard vesa mount so you'd want to pack around it when folded down I'd say or like defike says get a bracket out of steel of allie.

This 16" led tv/dvd is really light.Half the weight of the older 16".

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Hi Folks,

where are you purchasing the 16" tv/dvd combos ?
    Did you look at many different makes ?
    Argos appear to have this one on sale at the moment:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5298240/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm

Just bought walker to replace walker.169e in powercity.
    It says dvd tv in the heading of that ad but doesn't give any dvd features.
    Walker plays all areas and many types,mpeg4,divx etc.
    129e alba i would have no problem with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Yes. i noticed that also. The product description for the tv/dvd combo is the exact same as that for the 16" tv which they also sell. The only difference would appear to be the weight of both TVs. The combo is stated as being heavier in weight which you would expect.

I found it difficult to find many reviews of the Alba combo unit. I found 2 and both of them stated to have had problems with the DVD player :(
    The walker would be a safer bet methinks.

Advertisement