Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Urination

• 21-06-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi

On Friday night, I was caught by the police publically urinating. I was bursting and I couldnt wait any longer. I went behind a bus stop and was in a ditch, and the gardai were waiting for someone to do it (there was no other way they would have seen). I gave him all correct details and he said a summonce will be in the post. I think he also thought i was being cheeky as when he asked me why I was urinating publically I told him I wasnt (technically its true as I actually didnt get to urinate!) Does anyone know how much the fine is? also, can i just pay the fine instead of taking a day off work? and lastly, will this be on my record? i have no other offences

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You will probably be issued with a fixed charge penalty under section 5 of the public order act. Or you could be fined for littering. I think the public order act is €120. Once you pay the fine you dont go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sunburnt

Thanks for that K Mac, cheers

sunburnt wrote: »
    the gardai were waiting for someone to do it

Most ridiculous claim ive heard against the gardaí in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭UpAgainToday

k_mac wrote: »
    Most ridiculous claim ive heard against the gardaí in a while.

I would have to agree OP is still clearly drunk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

k_mac wrote: »
    You will probably be issued with a fixed charge penalty under section 5 of the public order act. Or you could be fined for littering. I think the public order act is €120. Once you pay the fine you dont go to court.

I presume you mean under Section 23A of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994, as inserted by Section 184 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006.

That provision has not been commenced.

If a Summons issues it will either be for an offence contrary to Section 5 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 2006 or for an older offence the technicalities of which escape me but specifically covers having a wee and which carries a small fine and potential prison sentence (never/rarely imposed).

Section 5 makes offensive conduct an offence, if committed between 12 midnight and 7 in the morning, or at any time having been requested by a Garda to desist. Penalty is £500 in old money.

So, you will in fact have to go to court if summons - please don't expect a fixed fine notice - if you go to court and have no previous convictions you should be angling for a probation act order or similar which will leave you without a conviction.

• Advertisement

Reloc8 wrote: »
    I presume you mean under Section 23A of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994, as inserted by Section 184 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006.

That provision has not been commenced.

If a Summons issues it will either be for an offence contrary to Section 5 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 2006 or for an older offence the technicalities of which escape me but specifically covers having a wee and which carries a small fine and potential prison sentence (never/rarely imposed).

Section 5 makes offensive conduct an offence, if committed between 12 midnight and 7 in the morning, or at any time having been requested by a Garda to desist. Penalty is £500 in old money.

So, you will in fact have to go to court if summons - please don't expect a fixed fine notice - if you go to court and have no previous convictions you should be angling for a probation act order or similar which will leave you without a conviction.

Fines are already being issued for a breach of section 5 of the public order act.

That's odd. I can't find any commencement order for Section 184 or Part 15 en bloc of the 2006 Act.

There were provisions of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008 which deal with drunken behaviour which were commenced as of 30 July 2008 ...possibly thinking of those ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sunburnt

How do I go about getting a Probation Act order? does this require as solicitor as I know how expensive they can be and funds are low...

They started about 18 months ago. Dont know what they were commenced under.

Op you get the probation act when you go to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Commenced 1st August 2006
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0390.html
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/si/0266.html
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/si/0363.html

Offensive conduct under s.5 is
    In this section "offensive conduct" means any unreasonable behaviour which, having regard to all the circumstances, is likely to cause serious offence or serious annoyance to any person who is, or might reasonably be expected to be, aware of such behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If you're really bursting for a pee, like many of us have been and have nowhere to go, what is it you are supposed to do? A little different to the city, but down the country it's not uncommon to see somebody taking a pee in a ditch. Piddling on somebodies doorstep is obviously not right.

sunburnt wrote: »
    How do I go about getting a Probation Act order? does this require as solicitor as I know how expensive they can be and funds are low...

Its a matter for the court.

But K-Mac is correct about the possibility of you getting a fine notice - in which case pay it and you avoid court.

Advertisement