Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executor of a Will

• 20-06-2010 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Can anybody advise on the following delicate matter. I was appointed executor of a will to a family member over 17 years ago and with my full consent at that time. However, due to present circumstances I dont wish to be executor of that will in the advent of my relative dying. However, despite several discussions I have had with my relative, my relative is continuing to refuse to change the nominated executor of their will.

1. If my relative dies, can I refuse to act as executor of the will?
    2. If I do refuse to act as executor in the execution of the will, will I be leaving myself open to any kind of liabilities, and if so, what?
    3. Can anybody advise me on how to get my relative to change the nominated executor of their will - talking doesnt seem to be working!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭albeit

Ask in FLAC maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

This is S. 17 Succession Act 1965.

17.—Where a person appointed executor by a will—

( a ) survives the testator but dies without having taken out probate, or

( b ) is cited to take out probate and does not appear to the citation, or

( c ) renounces probate,

his rights in respect of the executorship shall wholly cease, and the representation to the testator and the administration of his estate shall devolve and be committed in like manner as if that person had not been appointed executor.

It provides for what happens if an executor appointed by a will declines to act as executor.

It makes no reference to any liabilities for declining to act.

It accepts that a person may not be compelled to act as an executor, and that the person may renounce the appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Azy wrote: »
    Can anybody advise on the following delicate matter. I was appointed executor of a will to a family member over 17 years ago and with my full consent at that time. However, due to present circumstances I dont wish to be executor of that will in the advent of my relative dying. However, despite several discussions I have had with my relative, my relative is continuing to refuse to change the nominated executor of their will.

1. If my relative dies, can I refuse to act as executor of the will?
    2. If I do refuse to act as executor in the execution of the will, will I be leaving myself open to any kind of liabilities, and if so, what?
    3. Can anybody advise me on how to get my relative to change the nominated executor of their will - talking doesnt seem to be working!

1. Yes, you can either execute a document renouncing your appointment as executor or one of the beneficiaries can issue a citation against you in the probate court calling on you to take out a grant of probate, and if you fail to respond the court can appoint someone else as personal representative.

2. No, you will delay the administration of the estate of the deceased though. If no other person is named as executor in the will, someone would have to apply to be made personal representative. A personal representative as opposed to an executor must take out an administration bond equal to the value of the estate. This is often given by a bank or insurance company and costs money.

3. A person is entitled to nominate who ever they want as executor in their will. The proposed executor is however entitled to refuse to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 2breal

yes you can just renounce your position as executor. you will have no legal obligation, provided you go immediately and renounce the position. The court usually finds another executor or the solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Closed, old thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement