Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying/storing in France or Germany

Options
  • 20-04-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am looking to buy my forst MH (bias towards Hymer/mercedes,2/3 years old) and am wondering if it's possible/legal/practical to think about buying abroad and leaving for example in france where I have friends and would likely use the vehicle most? Will appreciate any feedback. Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

DhyanT wrote: »
    I am looking to buy my forst MH (bias towards Hymer/mercedes,2/3 years old) and am wondering if it's possible/legal/practical to think about buying abroad and leaving for example in france where I have friends and would likely use the vehicle most? Will appreciate any feedback. Ta

If this is to avoid the punitive Irish VRT perhaps a ploy a yachtie friend adopted back in the '80's might be of interest.

An offshore company was set up, in the Channel Islands I think, which acquired finance to purchase the vessel. The vessel was then used and berthed here in Ireland, the 'user' paid the company and the company used that income to make the necessary payments to the finance company who paid the finance to the ' owning' company which purchased the vessel.

Would such a scheme still be workable and is it worthwhile to save the VRT and whatever the net VAT liability would be ???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DhyanT

RE Motive: as stated, plus other purchase related savings; plus convenience.

Appropriate level of question marks. Would welcome the answers!!!
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I'm curious , but why Hymer , and why on earth a modern Mercedes?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I'm curious , but why Hymer , and why on earth a modern Mercedes?

Hymer/Mercedes: its a bias admittedly. We buy German cars and are happy with build quality, performance, reliability, and resale value.
    My superficial scanning of the MH resale market seems to indicate solid demand for Hymer/ consequently value retention. (?) I am interested in AClass so I think the alternatives are Fiat/Renault....I don't know anything about either, but I know I would NOT buy a car made by either. Simple (maybe naive) logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hymer/Mercedes: its a bias admittedly. We buy German cars and are happy with build quality, performance, reliability, and resale value.
    My superficial scanning of the MH resale market seems to indicate solid demand for Hymer/ consequently value retention. (?) I am interested in AClass so I think the alternatives are Fiat/Renault....I don't know anything about either, but I know I would NOT buy a car made by either. Simple (maybe naive) logic!

But you are not buying a car.

The FIAT Ducato power-plant and transmission, which is all you basically get in an A Class, including the majority of the Hymer range, is one of the most successful on the European market. The '01 >'06 JTD is bullet proof. The current one is better with the exception of some versions in '07>'09 which had DMF problems, now sorted.

• Advertisement

niloc1951 wrote: »
    But you are not buying a car.

The FIAT Ducato power-plant and transmission, which is all you basically get in an A Class, including the majority of the Hymer range, is one of the most successful on the European market. The '01 >'06 JTD is bullet proof. The current one is better with the exception of some versions in '07>'09 which had DMF problems, now sorted.

Thanks for the input, which will be taken on board. But, is there something to be concerned about ref Merc engine/transmission setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I wouldn't take a present of a modern renault car , but the Ren Master is a far superior base for a MH than a Sprinter . More reliable in my experience , nicer by far to drive , very economical , comfortable and a helluva lot cheaper . Also front drive chassis lend them selves better to MHs , having lower floors , and hence the MH can be lower , less top heavy and more stable.
    Pretty much the same can be said for Fiat , although the Renault may have the edge for comfort and fuel economy , but not by much .
    We have tested this ourselves , as Dad used a Renault based Adria Vision A class for several continental trips , often with trailer and rally car in tow.
    And I myself , and my Dad are both serial German car fans.

One of our concerns when taking on the Frankia range was the bias toward Mercedes , as in the trade the Sprinter is known to be a bit troublesome .

And IMHO , Hymer stopped making good A classes about 1998.....

Taking on board both Aidan and Nicloc1951 comments, what do you rate as the best AClass to purchase at around 3 years old...(I think the highest depreciation will have happened over this period?)
    4 berth is the size I'm thinking of and probably LHD too as hoping to use on continent.

I seem to have shifted from the original topic but any feedback on the above would be really helpful in moving forward. Cheers. DT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the a class Dethleffs are a gorgeous bus relation has one as does a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

You can rent a hymer ridiculously cheap in france I'd imagine once you add up the number of days you'd actually spend on the continent and take into account purchase price, depreciation, insurance, servicing and maintainance it might be a better option. Unless of course you rent it out yourself in your absence.

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    You can rent a hymer ridiculously cheap in france I'd imagine once you add up the number of days you'd actually spend on the continent and take into account purchase price, depreciation, insurance, servicing and maintainance it might be a better option. Unless of course you rent it out yourself in your absence.

My french is not great but when I looked at that private rentals site quite a few (if not all?) seemed to be 'permanenently' sited.....which seems to defeat the purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

paddyp wrote: »

My french is not great but when I looked at that private rentals site quite a few (if not all?) seemed to be 'permanenently' sited.....which seems to defeat the purpose?

Try google.fr and search for - louer camping car pas cher there are lots of agents price depends on time of year, size of van, limited or unlimited mileage and numbers of days/weeks rental but it was much cheaper than here or uk when i looked for my brother in law. In the long very term it might be expensive tho and you want to avoid french national holidays. You want to avoid french holidays anyway its misery on the roads and they go nuts after a few hours in traffic. prepare to be overtaken on the inside by red faced 40 somethings towing caravans lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10 le francais

This could be a good idea depending on how many times and for how long you intend to use the camper for in europe
    You can get yearly storage for approx 500€ near Paris, much cheaper once you move out of the main cities.
    You would probably need an address in France/Germany for insurance purposes/correspondance.
    Two major benefits are saving 1500€ each year on ferry crossing & gaining significantly in travel time.
    I am Irish, have a camper (Hymer) and live in France.
    Send me an email if you need help(advice

Advertisement