Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNI sites

Options
  • 30-03-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Having come back from our first trip away, spending €25 a night in Tipperary without electricity (they did us a "favor" by not charging for our 4 month old!) we are going to join SNI for cheaper alternatives. I've read the old threads on this, but thought it would be a good idea for people to share their good experiences of particular sites. We have 3 children from 3yo down so security is a concern. Thinking that ones on farms or hotel grounds could be a runner, what does anyone think? Ones that are within walking distances to playgrounds would be a bonus.

thanks

BTW - stopped in Lismore, Co. Waterford after staying in Tipp and were thoroughly impressed. Large carpark for MH, immediately beside excellent playground. Lovely park and stones throw to pretty town - and an amazing castle to top it all off. Worth a stop-off if you're in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

kelbal wrote: »
    Having come back from our first trip away, spending €25 a night in Tipperary without electricity (they did us a "favor" by not charging for our 4 month old!) we are going to join SNI for cheaper alternatives. I've read the old threads on this, but thought it would be a good idea for people to share their good experiences of particular sites. We have 3 children from 3yo down so security is a concern. Thinking that ones on farms or hotel grounds could be a runner, what does anyone think? Ones that are within walking distances to playgrounds would be a bonus.

thanks

BTW - stopped in Lismore, Co. Waterford after staying in Tipp and were thoroughly impressed. Large carpark for MH, immediately beside excellent playground. Lovely park and stones throw to pretty town - and an amazing castle to top it all off. Worth a stop-off if you're in the area.

Main reason why we didn't use them last year when we were out. Just felt slightly uneasy at the thought of it where the kids are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Well, when I say safety is a concern, I mean I wouldn't be staying in the carpark of a pub. But I can't imagine farm grounds or hotel grounds being any less secure than your typical campsite. Just looking for recommendations as to sites people have particularly liked.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

We joined SNI this year but so far we have only used Turoe Pet Farm which of course is vey handy for visiting the farm. We were asked to park up in the yard which was fine. And they even gave us an EHU.

Well we tried "wild" camping last weekend. Headed to Carlingford and stayed at the back of the Four Seasons hotel. Very secure, well lit carpark, helpful reception and a great view of Slieve Foye. No charge to pull in. Carlingford is a smashing little town with a playground just a stones throw from the hotel and lots of nice pubs. Definately recommend.

Did another SNI site last week. Stayed on the grounds of the Lakeside Manor hotel in Virginia, Cavan. Lovely spot right on the edge of the lake, great scenery as sun sets. Hotel is about 2 miles outside the town. If you drive into the town and turn left at the Ramor pub (think thats its name), you can drive down to the lake's edge, beside a school. Lovely spot to stop for lunch, right in the town - and there's some marked forest walks that you can start from there. There's a 2m barrier, but was open when we were there, and looks like its never closed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement