Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use my surround sound system for sky digital?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

May not be in the right forum but please feel free to point me the right direction. I have a Philips 37PFL8605H TV connected to a Panasonic Blu Ray home theater sound system SC-BT230. I have both linked with a HDMI cable. Great for the blue ray/dvd etc. As the TV does not have a Optical out terminal I have to use an audio cable, but I haven't figured out how to get the sound working when watching sky channels, I have a sky+HD box. I am sure there are some settings I need to adjust in the TV menu but I just haven't figured them out yet! So I would appreciate any advice.

Thank's.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Looking at the technical specification of the panasonic, it shows you have two digital optical in's available. So it seems like it should be possible to run an optical cable from the Sky Box to the Panasonic, and obtain sound.

Page 30 of this online manual gives some insight.

In the Sky sound menu you will need to set the Digital Audio Output to Dolby Digital .

Once this is done, you may want to turn off the TV speakers as hopefully sound will be coming via the panasonic. Do note, however not much content on Sky is 5.1.

Hopefully this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 FrankGold

Thanks Eddie,
    I connected the sky plus box to the panasonic using the audio cables and I got the sound working the only problem now is the lip/audio sink, I'll play around with the sky sound settings to see if it will improve things.

Again thanks a million for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

FrankGold wrote: »
    Thanks Eddie,
    I connected the sky plus box to the panasonic using the audio cables and I got the sound working the only problem now is the lip/audio sink, I'll play around with the sky sound settings to see if it will improve things.

Again thanks a million for your help.

When you say audio cables I assume you mean an optical cable, as this will hopefully give you 5.1 when available via the panasonic.

Good luck, glad you seem to be on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 FrankGold

No I actually used the audio cables first (red & white) and there was sound but there was also a lip sink/delay that I can't get right even adjusting both the sky box and the surround sound! So yesterday I bought an optical cable, hooked it up and........nothing, no sound what so ever, so I am still playing around to see if I can change some setting that might spring it into life!

Advertisement