Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house insurance quote - too good to be true??

Options
  • 13-07-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

just got my renewal notice from aib which is about €550, shopped around and allianz are offering me a quote of €345, by far the best! rang aib and they said they'd drop down to about €490 but still a long way off what allianz have quoted. is this quote too good to be true or am i just getting a brilliant quote?! anyone else with allianz that got a great rate like this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I just moved my home insurance to Allianz. Their online system is offering cheap deals. Check the policy wording and details you get back though cos there was mistakes on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Yeah, would definatly check if its a 'like for like' policy, cheaper policies don't automatically mean better, (or even the same) policies. Read the policy document carefully, are you covered for everything the aib are covering you for. Im with neither allianz or the aib, so cant comment on either, but have seen it happen before where cheaper policies cover you for less, but you'll only find out when you go to make a claim. If your happy with the policy that allianz are providing you with then go for it, but make sure your happy with the policy itself first, and not just the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I'm paying about €250 with getcover.com for a 4 bed semi in south Kildare.
    That's with 30% contents insurance & the wife's engagement ring.
    Can't rememer what the min excess was or the single item max was but I remember it being compeditive.

Check you're rebuilding costs are correct with the Chartered Surveyors website.
    Amazing the amount of people who think it costs €300k to rebuild a €300k house sold in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

fbd was the cheapest i could find

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

i'm paying €250 for 210,000 building and 84,000 contents for Co limerick. Getcover.ie. Best Quote by a long mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

When I say check the policy, I dont mean the reinstatement value or contents value, I mean what the policy covers in realtion to: damaged property, broken tv, leaky pipe/leaky roof that kind of thing, What libality cover have you, what all-risk cover does it have- its this type of thing that people dont check. Someone saying the ABC Ltd offers the best quote is redundant, it all depends on the extras, and its the extras that make the difference in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Ptsb are doin 6mths free insurance if ye wantd to look at that also with allianz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks for the replies, will look into it more before i decide

Advertisement