Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Depression - Am I the only one?

Options
  • 31-10-2008 1:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭

Every 3 to 5 weeks I get very deep depressed. It lasts for a few days then things pick up. I am wondering is this normal, a known form of depression or unique just to me?
    I have been like this for some time now but as I have three kids, fourth on the way, I want to get it sorted. The waves of depression started many years ago but recently they have gotten deeper sometimes harder for me to pull myself out of.
    I'm NOT looking for medical advice (as per the rules), I just want to check is this a sort of norm' for some depression sufferers?
    I intend to go to a doc to get it checked out but before I do, I want to be sure that I am not wasting his time with something that might be just all in my mind, no joke intended.
    I just don't know...

Has anyone come across similar cases where depression returns every so often in cycles (instead of being just constantly depressed all the time), that's my main question...

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Something like 20% of the population will suffer from clinical depression at some time in their lives. Nearly everyone suffers from the Monday morning blues at some stage, some for their entire lives - this is not depression in the medical sense, but is something that can be helped by taking action.

I'm sure there are different forms of depression - do you find any particular pattern to the "every 3 to 5 weeks"? You might keep a diary, so when you go to the doctor, you can help him to help you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Thanks for the quick reply.

I get very tired, lots of sleep needed, don't see the point many times during the down periods to trying to struggle against things.
    I run a few things (business and voluntary) and when the waves of depression hit, I really wonder why am I doing what I am doing. Why am I struggling when I don't seem to be able to make a difference...

I realise that many feel like this but what is confusing to me is that this cycle has been repeating for years now and there seems no end to it.
    Even when times are good, the depression hits me. I can't understand it.

I do I suppose "get the blues" like a normal person. There would be something wrong with me if I didn't (I think) but for this other form of depression to come repeatedly for so long, I am just wondering is this a recognised form of known depression too?

I'd like to get it sorted if only for my kids sake.
    (I should also mention that my mother suffered from some form of clinical depression for many, many years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Aldee84

I can totally agree in general with depression in cycles, I do find I get similar. I was prescribed anti depressants for 6 months last yr but at the end of the day they are just an expensive drug that silence the problem. I got myself back off them again.Feel better off for it now.How about visit your doc cause maybe there is somthing from your past catching up on you or maybe talk to someone, make sure you dont do this alone, make this aware with a partner or parent who will support you cause you will need it,,,,,,best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Are you active or do you spend a lot ot ime at home alone etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi Biggins, there are many different type of depression and some of them are cyclical so if whats your saying is correct its not just in your head and it would be worth your while going to your GP. Checking out a worry about your health is never wasting anyones time.

Whilst your GP may prescribe something I would also suggest you speak to him about a referral to a counselling or psychological service. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

How's your diet biggins? It has a huge effect on how you feel imo. Also b vitamins are very useful at this time of year imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Thats interesting, I actually do get the same thing. It seems to happen in cycles as well, lasts a few days then things pick up and and get better and so on then it repeats. Think its due to relationships I have with my friends and old friends and ex's. Things that dont bother me at all, then all of a sudden for a couple of days they just really get on top of me and get to me.

Only thing that really picks me up regardless of it is doing weight training. By the end of a good trainin session in the gym Im in a great mood for the day. Luckily since Im unemployed I can go to the gym alot lately.... lol :rolleyes:

Advertisement