Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Me varicose veins!!

• 25-09-2008 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Ive had these in my legs for the last ten years or so i think, i cant remember when i got them,
    im 27 now and was at the doc today, he reckons i will need to get them done as they could get worse over time,
    Was just wondering if anyone has had these done and what the procedure is?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Hey Ashfield.

Havent had the procedure done myself but working in a hospital, I see patients with the complaint everyday.

Basically, it is a fairly routine procedure and is done as a daycase by either a General or Vascular surgeon. in and out in the day and the op is done under general anaestetic. Obviously having the procedure will depend on your ability to cope with a GA and other things that will be checked. Recovery time is usually about 4-6 weeks, which will be certified from the hospital for your job.:D you GP will firstly need to send in a letter to referring hospitals outpatient clinic, you will be seen there by your consultant and that will set the ball rolling for you!!

From what I hear it's not a bad procedure, but just the recover time is a few weeks and fling for at least 6 weeks after is a no no. hope that helps (a little) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

6 weeks,
    Just been myself to doc last weeks and have to get them removed, he reckoned the in and out for op in 1 day and fine again after 1 week??Has anyone have them done and how long is the recovery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm not sure if this is true or urban myth but I was told that it's possible to walk them away. A 2 or 3 or 4 mile walk every day for a couple of months will see the back of them...apparently.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Hey, I have a big one too on my calf (part of my leg, smart alec) and as I'm so pale it really shows now so I'm sure that I will have move over the next few years. Can somebody explain to me, if it's no big deal to get them removed, what the hell have they been doing till now. I presume you can't just go pulling out all these veins left, right and centre?? What's the deal??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

all info should be here

www.varicose-veins.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

heya,
    I got them done there during the summer. Yeah, its only one over night stay, but depending on how many you have an the exact tyoe of procedure it is a sore recovery. you cannot walk at all the first few days and your leg is really swollen. you also have to keep changing the really really tight bandage sock yourself which is ****.
    However, it is worth it, you legs looks and feel a lot better, although you cant be on your feet for long periods of time as much as before..and you'll notice the leg in question tends to hurt more than the other.
    I know I've made it sound terrible..but i know for a fact its not an in and out job(although in fairness it does depend on the amount of veins in question). Like I'm young (22) and fairly fit with no underlying heath problems and I had a hard enought time with it. so just be prepared but it is worth it.

Advertisement