Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute - Athy-Dublin

Options
  • 31-07-2009 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Id just like to hear from anyone who drives or commutes from Athy to Dublin? Just buying a house out there and I see the train timetable but eager to know what the commute is like driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Where in Dublin, what time the commute?

Its about 30 mins from CityWest to Kilcullen in the evenings (5pm) due to tailbacks at Naas-NewHall. I'd guess another 10-15mins Kilcullen to Athy. Mornings usually be a fair bit quicker as you don't get the same tailbacks. Add on whatever time it takes from CityWest to your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Well, Im city centre based, so thats a bit scary altogether. I work in the docklands, takes me 55 mins to get from Celbridge to there at the moment and I was hoping the journey will be 1hr 15 max.

Thanks for the input, and for letting me know about the traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Iarnród Éireann - 1hr 10 mins Athy-Heuston, 1hr home plus you can have a snooze on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well, Im city centre based, so thats a bit scary altogether. I work in the docklands, takes me 55 mins to get from Celbridge to there at the moment and I was hoping the journey will be 1hr 15 max.

Thanks for the input, and for letting me know about the traffic!

Hey sorry to sound a bit impedent, but would you not kind of checked what the commute would be like before you decided to buy a house there! And during school term time as well. Athy is a good journey from Dublin, though the M9 will ease things a fair bit with motorway connecting south of Kilcullen and onto a new link road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭rameire

if your driving a motorbike.
    from athy to m50 red cow is 40-45min leaving at 8am

not sure how long it takes to get into town from red cow

as said rail 1hr to huston, and the new trains are running on that line so nice and comfy.

by car leaving between 7 and 7.30 from athy to the ring road just off the n7 is 35-40 min
    traffic builds up after the ring road towards mad cow and can take anything from 5 mins to 30 mins to get to the red cow.

but if you come off at the ring road, there is a road parallel with the n7 that will bring you out to the n7 again just before bewleys. or you could go through clondalkin which is pretty quick im told.

where in athy are you buying?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

You could drive to the Red Cow Luas car park and get the Luas in the rest of the way. No need to worry about car parking in town either then, but an extra cost for the car park and the Luas ticket to consider.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Hey sorry to sound a bit impedent, but would you not kind of checked what the commute would be like before you decided to buy a house there! And during school term time as well. Athy is a good journey from Dublin, though the M9 will ease things a fair bit with motorway connecting south of Kilcullen and onto a new link road.

Im buying the house mate because its a 3 bed on 2 acres going for nothing! Its a steal. Ive been driving to and back from Celbridge to see it the past while. Im staying in a B&b next week and commuting in the morning to see what its like, but as said, the trains an hour and the house we 'may' be buying is 10 minutes from train station, which brings you to heuston and outside is luas, which brings me to my job.
    You could drive to the Red Cow Luas car park and get the Luas in the rest of the way. No need to worry about car parking in town either then, but an extra cost for the car park and the Luas ticket to consider.

Thats a great idea, thanks for letting me know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shaymousse

As Irish rail say, Its time to take the train!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

my heart goes out to you people who have to commute to Dublin every day.To me its not living but existing.Sorry.

Im buying the house mate because its a 3 bed on 2 acres going for nothing! Its a steal. Ive been driving to and back from Celbridge to see it the past while. Im staying in a B&b next week and commuting in the morning to see what its like, but as said, the trains an hour and the house we 'may' be buying is 10 minutes from train station, which brings you to heuston and outside is luas, which brings me to my job.

Thats a great idea, thanks for letting me know that.

Oh right, nice one best of luck with it. The countryside is nice around Athy :)

• Advertisement

Folks, just wanted to give an update, house still not bought and offers in, etc, but decided to drive from my job in city centre last night to the house to time the milage and length of journey.

It was a long one, Im actually use to getting home in 50 minutes or so, so the extra time was a little odd, I was thinking of missing Emmerdale and other trashy tv shows.

From dublin docklands, out the naas road, past athy and through to the next town was 1hr and 20 minutes, with a very quick stop off for a drink in a petrol station. I took off 5 minutes for the stop off. 57.4 miles from my job.

Just to let future buyers know! Tis do-able..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

Thats about 90km in 1hr 15 an average of about 72 km/h.

That's not bad and it was a good idea to try it out.

I'd say it could easily be another 20 minutes though from September onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Folks, just wanted to give an update, house still not bought and offers in, etc, but decided to drive from my job in city centre last night to the house to time the milage and length of journey.

It was a long one, Im actually use to getting home in 50 minutes or so, so the extra time was a little odd, I was thinking of missing Emmerdale and other trashy tv shows.

From dublin docklands, out the naas road, past athy and through to the next town was 1hr and 20 minutes, with a very quick stop off for a drink in a petrol station. I took off 5 minutes for the stop off. 57.4 miles from my job.

Just remember that that was at night time.It will take longer during rush hour I would think?

Are you buying in Ballylinan or Athy itself?

Advertisement