Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Duleek

Options
  • 29-03-2014 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

Could anyone please, tell us about Duleek? We are mortgage approved and trying to find a house. At the moment we live in Ashbourne, but there aren't many houses here, so we consider Duleek as an option... We drove down to Duleek, and at seemed like a 'dead' area. No shops of any kind. Am I wrong? Where people do their shopping, where do they chill out? We'll be greatfull for your opinion... Especially from people who live or lived there... We are really affraid not to make a mistake by buying the house in the wrong place... Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Duleek is more of a small village than a town, there's only convenience shops like spar or londis rather than supermarkets. It has a few restaurants, pubs, cafes, pharmacies etc but nothing like the choice available in Ashbourne. The nearest town for shopping is Drogheda, which has everything you would need, but the public transport links between Duleek and Drogheda are almost non existant so you would need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

adgica wrote: »
    Hi All,

Could anyone please, tell us about Duleek? We are mortgage approved and trying to find a house. At the moment we live in Ashbourne, but there aren't many houses here, so we consider Duleek as an option... We drove down to Duleek, and at seemed like a 'dead' area. No shops of any kind. Am I wrong? Where people do their shopping, where do they chill out? We'll be greatfull for your opinion... Especially from people who live or lived there... We are really affraid not to make a mistake by buying the house in the wrong place... Thanks a lot

If you do not know the place that well why would you buy in it?

If in doubts, go and rent there for a while.

Do NOT buy unless you are 100% happy with the location!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 adgica

Borderlinmeath thanks a lot for your help and information. We haven't decided yet where to buy. Still looking...

Galego, the reason we look in Duleek is because of the prices... I would love to buy something in Ashbourne, but we've only been approved for 150K, and plus some of our savings, but wouldn't be much, maximum 165K. In Ashbourne there is nothing for this price... We are looking for 3 bed with garden... At the same time I wouldn't like to wait too kmuch, as I am affraid the prices are going up and we won't be able to buy anything in a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I live in Duleek and it's nice enough, I rent but if I was looking to buy I would happily purchase a house there.

I'm from London so it took a bit of getting used to, pretty quiet - the local Eurospar is handy for getting the basics but I drive up to the 24 hour Tesco or Aldi for my main shop, it's less than 10 minutes away and Drogheda is only another 5 minutes.

I found it difficult to make friends for a while but I joined the local walking/running club and met loads of people.
    The Carranstown Lodge (Tollstone) is the nicest pub along the Platin Road, nice food and a friendly crowd.

Overall I like it, it would be a change from Ashbourne but the difference in money is huge, which is why I ended up here - Ashbourne would have been my first choice too!

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Dear magicmushroom, thanks a lot for your information... it was really helpfull as we don't know anyone in Duleek, so couldn't find out much information. We found a house in Duleek we like a lot, but we won't know if it is ours for another week... Hopefully will. Wish you all the best as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The Celtic Runner

adgica wrote: »
    Dear magicmushroom, thanks a lot for your information... it was really helpfull as we don't know anyone in Duleek, so couldn't find out much information. We found a house in Duleek we like a lot, but we won't know if it is ours for another week... Hopefully will. Wish you all the best as well :)
    Hello, just checking how are you getting on and if you ended up buying in Duleek.
    We are in a similar situation, currently renting in D15. I am working since many years in Drogheda but as my wife stopped working and rent went through the roof we want to buy somewhere in County Meath between Dublin and Drogheda. Same as you, our mortgage approval does not allow us to buy anywhere and we are looking at a house in Duleek which we fell in love with. 
    I have a very good feeling about the place, got positive opinions from my colleagues in Drogheda but the more I get the more reassured I will be.
    I live in Ireland since 2001, always in Dublin, I am from France  my wife is Polish but our kids were born here so they re Irish if you ask them :) I just wonder how easy it would be to integrate in a local community. We had no problem meeting people where we live in Dublin, I am pretty convinced it would be the same in Duleek but I would like to hear from others...

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement