Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good area's to live in the main towns in Meath

Options
  • 06-03-2014 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Please could I get some advice on the good spots to live in the major towns in county Meath. Originally from Kells but left there over 10 years ago and didn't have much interest in moving back til now. So I don't have much knowledge on the better area's to be living in. Work in Dublin so need something accessible on N2 N3 routes. Trim/athboy and north meath are not preferable options, so please don't suggest these, no slur intend on these locations but want something close to major route ways. In early 30's so something with a similar age profile. Something that's not D25 please, no disrespect to our Jackeen cousins intended. Good broadband connections, social life and sports clubs (play badminton so that'd be an advantage if there was a club nearby) would be great. Access to schools is an advantage (no kids yet but ye have to plan for these things of course)
    Any and all advice is greatly appreciated folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Have you looked at Johnstown outside Navan? Ticks most of those boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

dgt wrote: »
    Have you looked at Johnstown outside Navan? Ticks most of those boxes

Thanks DGT..
    Johnstown is pretty much D25 so isn't really being considered. No disrespect to anyone living there intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Ratoath & Dunshaughlin would be well regarded.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Dunshaughlin is a really nice place to live, close enough to Dublin but far enough out. Still has a great village feel

b318isp wrote: »
    Ratoath & Dunshaughlin would be well regarded.

Cheers for this lads, unfortunately not many rental properties there at the moment. Have a mate living in Dunshaughlin he loves it. We'll see but thanks for the tips. Any particular area's in either place that be considered desirable (undesirable) addresses!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

It might be better if you came back with anything you've seen, and we could advise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

There's no bad places to live in Dunshaughlin :)

Borderfox wrote: »

Cheers Border, so my mate says, he's non stop onto me about when am i moving ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

How about dunboyne? Nice town feel, lots of local sports clubs, schools and pubs. Two train stations and regular bus.

Or is this too D25? (I don't even know what that means)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Borderfox wrote: »

Out the Lagore road on the left????? :eek:

• Advertisement

How about dunboyne? Nice town feel, lots of local sports clubs, schools and pubs. Two train stations and regular bus.

Or is this too D25? (I don't even know what that means)

Cheers thanks December, could you advise what the good area's in Dunboyne
    are.
    Think you pretty much know what D25 is from that comment.

niallam wrote: »

Which road out of dunshaughlin is that Niallam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

brinty wrote: »
    Think you pretty much know what D25 is from that comment.

Nope, I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭paul71

Nope, I've no idea.

Dublin has 24 postal districts so op is saying Johnstown is really another part of Dublin. I have heard people call Leixlip in Kildare D25 for similar reasons.

paul71 wrote: »
    Dublin has 24 postal districts so op is saying Johnstown is really another part of Dublin. I have heard people call Leixlip in Kildare D25 for similar reasons.

Thanks Paul, as I say its not meant in a bad way at all

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Brinty,
    Are you looking to rent or buy? There aren't really any bad areas in Dunboyne, but like all towns, some areas are better than others. Not much comes up for sale in Dunboyne... Possibly because it is a nice place to live and not many people move out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

ashbourne would be my pick has everything you need shops, sports, ect.

jt_dublin wrote: »
    Brinty,
    Are you looking to rent or buy? There aren't really any bad areas in Dunboyne, but like all towns, some areas are better than others. Not much comes up for sale in Dunboyne... Possibly because it is a nice place to live and not many people move out!

Everywhere has bad areas, Dunboyne was known for having more than any of the other small towns nearby not so long ago, you've probably never heard of The Congo...

Your going to have bad elements everywhere, can't be avoided these days.
    Ratoath was hit by a lot of robberies last year, in broad daylight mostly, Dunshaughlin and Ashbourne not so many.

Dunshaughlin doesn't have much happening in it and less since it was by passed, I grew up in it and wouldn't move back to it.
    Ratoath has less in it and more houses, bad traffic problems due to stupidly placed traffic lights in estates and ignorant parents at school times.
    Ashbourne would be the best option, people from Ratoath and Dunshaughlin usually go there to shop as it has everything. Houses are hard enough to come by if your looking to rent.

You mentioned Trim not being preferable but its a lovely town. Only 15 mins will have you on the N3 and already passed the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

It is really not that bad, is it?

I could think about a lot worst places in other Meath towns.

jt_dublin wrote: »
    Brinty,

No bad areas? Dunboyne?

I do not want to name streets but there are two in Dunboyne that any local would tell you to stay well away from.

There are some new houses for sale at the minute and always something for sale in Dunboyne Castle. But personally I wouldn't buy any of those.

• Advertisement

You mentioned Trim not being preferable but its a lovely town. Only 15 mins will have you on the N3 and already passed the toll.

IMO, Trim is the nicest town in Meath.

PS, I do not live in Trim or neither am from there.

Galego wrote: »
    It is really not that bad, is it?

I could think about a lot worst places in other Meath towns.

As could I but it'd be my least favourable place to live in Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Galego wrote: »
    IMO, Trim is the nicest town in Meath.

PS, I do not live in Trim or neither am from there.

I agree. They say that Navan is a better shopping town but that Trim is better to live in. However, i like doing as much shopping as possible in Trim.

lads thanks for the feedback, have a few viewings lined up. Ballis Manor , Commons road and Bru na haobhin all in Navan!!
    Choices are slightly limited as we have a four legged friend and most people stop at that unfortunately.
    Will be renting initially as we need to save a few bob for a deposit on a new home. We're renting out out own home for the foreseeable future and hoping to buy something and sell the old house when it gets close to or wiorth more than the value of the mortgage.

My mate is on at me about Dunshaughlin and most people are saying its a great spot that still has the small village feel without the riff raff, so maybe that'll be the option/location for buying if something suitable comes available.

Be prepared to pay 20% higher rent in Dunshaughlin than Navan.
    80% of landlords don't want dogs really.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Be prepared to pay 20% higher rent in Dunshaughlin than Navan.

Many would consider 20% worth it for the shorter commute and the village atmosphere

hmboards wrote: »
    Many would consider 20% worth it for the shorter commute and the village atmosphere

Only 15 mins shorter and unless you want to only shop in supervalu then a drive to Ashbourne to shop, Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco.
    You live in Skryne, where do you go out? (if you do)
    Nobody i know has bothered going out in Dunshaughlin in years...
    The night life in the village dies years ago, everyone goes out in Navan these days, bands on in every pub every night of the week.
    And having lived in Dunshaughlin for 25 years i never really experienced this "village" feeling, i think Batterstown is where you should look for that...

Thanks lads, yea i think Navan might be the option to rent and Dunshaughlin to buy eventually. the shopping is nothing major to drive a few miles for, most likely working in Dublin so it'd be done on the ways home ;) Nightlife is no issue, i don't drink so going into Dublin, Navan etc is fine. plus not huge into the pub/club scene, more of a dinner party and few bottles of wine for the guests..
    Niall...think your suffering a little of the greener pastures there re 25 years in Dunshaughlin (the majority of people always run down where their from) but many people i know in Dunshaghlin speak highly of it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Have you thought about the south side of Drogheda, or Bettystown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Only 15 mins shorter and unless you want to only shop in supervalu then a drive to Ashbourne to shop, Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco.

15 mins shorter (if you live on the right side of Navan) will save you 120 hrs a year in commute time, and over 8,500 km in fuel and wear and tear on the car. I live about the same distance from Navan as Dunshaughlin. I'd rarely shop at Dunnes or Tesco - Supervalu tends to be comparable in price and food range. That said it could be Supervalu in Johnstown or Ratoath either - whichever is handiest at the time. We'd often call to Lidl/Aldi on way back from Dublin too...
    You live in Skryne, where do you go out? (if you do)
    Nobody i know has bothered going out in Dunshaughlin in years...
    The night life in the village dies years ago, everyone goes out in Navan these days, bands on in every pub every night of the week.

I'm past that stage of having nightlife as a primary concern in fairness.
    And having lived in Dunshaughlin for 25 years i never really experienced this "village" feeling, i think Batterstown is where you should look for that...

I suspect you were too young to notice at the time :-) Dunshaughlin has a great local community working together on many voluntary projects. Communities and a sense of belonging are what set villages apart from the larger towns. Visit the hugely successful Harvest Festival, and you will notice the atmosphere quite different to what you will experience in towns. It does sound like a "grass is always greener" scenario. I'm originally from Navan BTW, but have lived in Dunshaughlin and Clonee for a few years too.

Advertisement