Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Cycle Tour needs help with Accommodation

Options
  • 23-01-2014 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,
    I am just wondering if anyone had any tips or information to help me out.
    In a nutshell, myself and 30 people from my university in Germany are cycling from south of Stuttgart to Trabolgan in Cork over 12 days at end of March. We cycle to a different country every year to an International Business Fair, where we raise normally €20,000+ for children with cancer. In order to do this we have to try and keep our costs to a minimum. Normally we get sponsorships of food from companies to feed us and then local communities throughout mainland Europe offer us local halls or sports club where we sleep in sleep bags on the ground for free. The problem is , me being Irish , I know that it may difficult to find free places to stay in Ireland and also issues with insurance. I am looking for two places for two nights between Rosslare and Trabolgan. If anyone can help me that would be super :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Sounds like a great, exciting & fun thing you are doing! I wouldn't be able to help but have you thought about marking a couple of areas on the map where you'd like to stop each night and then contact some GAA clubs to use/donate their hall for the night...you never know. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Try posting in the cycling forum here too - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=410 , someone there may be able to hook you up.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 moses360

Yeah GAA clubs was my main idea, but one of the lads rang one or two and said it probably wouldn't be the best idea with insurance and everything. We are hopping to spend one night the first day in Wexford or Waterford whatever is available because we arrive in late in the afternoon at Rosslare so not much cycling that day, and then wherever we can between Waterford and Trabolgan for the second night. We are going to do a sweep through all the GAA clubs and just hope for the best !!

Thanks for the tip Supercell. Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Try the scouts / guides, there are many places on your way, all with mattresses and canteens etc, ie Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Try the scouts / guides, there are many places on your way, all with mattresses and canteens etc, ie Kilkenny.
    I never thought of scouts at all !! Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Insurance is a rubbish excuse. If they bothered to check they would see its a non issue

ted1 wrote: »
    Insurance is a rubbish excuse. If they bothered to check they would see its a non issue
    yea i imagine that there would be a way to work with it, but sadly one can't force them to take us haha

Advertisement