Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming books (Objective C) that are simple/visual

Options
  • 15-01-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I'm getting into programming, specifically Objective C. I'm doing a few course online and reading a few books, however I'm looking for something really simple and maybe visual to get the main concepts in my head

Think of someone in their 20s wanting to learn French and buying a load of kids' French books with loads of pictures and simple phrases. Well I'm looking for something like that except for programming - yep that's right, a book for kid's would be perfect :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Objective C with a view to make iOS or OS X applications? What is your overall goal?

There's the Programming in Objective C (Kochan) and Cocoa Programmming for OSX (Hillegas). They're easy to follow, but programming isn't a picture book topic and Objective C and the Cocoa library are not without their quirks.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭parc

iOS applications

I'm thinking something like "Here are variables (pic of box), here we can store strings, send messages (more pics) etc. etc.)"

Just to get the core ideas/concepts in my head as I go through a more concise book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Those are pretty basic programming concepts. There won't be an Objective C / Cocoa Toach book at that level.

If you are struggling with that aspect, perhaps one of the online Learn Code the Hard Way books might be worth starting with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I learned Objective-C / Cocoa development from here, https://itunes.apple.com/ie/course/developing-ios-7-apps-for/id733644550 such great content and the best thing about it, it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i liked the Big Nerd Ranch books on objective-c and iOS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement