Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Tyres

Options
  • 03-02-2009 6:29pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I did a bit of shopping around recently to get some new tyres. I found online to be best, but even online there was large price differences.

I was looking at a set of 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tyres, size 215/45/17

• Advance Pitstop - Includes fitting / balancing €720
    • Parkway Tyre Centre (Limerick) includes fitting etc €580
    • www.eiretyres.com €559.20 (fitting extra)
    • www.camskill.co.uk €396.20 (fitting extra)
    I got two fitted for €8 a corner locally after buying from camskill.

I ordered them on either the sunday or monday, can't remember. Arrived Wednesday.

Bit of a difference!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

MarkR wrote: »
    I did a bit of shopping around recently to get some new tyres. I found online to be best, but even online there was large price differences.

I was looking at a set of 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tyres, size 215/45/17

• Advance Pitstop - Includes fitting / balancing €720
    • Parkway Tyre Centre (Limerick) includes fitting etc €580
    • www.eiretyres.com €559.20 (fitting extra)
    • www.camskill.co.uk €396.20 (fitting extra)

I ordered them on either the sunday or monday, can't remember. Arrived Wednesday.

Bit of a difference!

Goodman Yourself;;;;;;

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Should put this in the motors section if you havent already....

Many would be glad of it...

Sounds good, thanks for the info...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭podge3

I got tyres from Camskill a few weeks back - excellent service and only £23 delivery to Ireland for 4 tyres. If I bought the tyres locally I would have paid about 50% more.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

I rang round a few places enquiring about fitting these tyres...none of the franchised places are interested in doing it i.e. advance, fast fit etc. Anyone able to recommend a place in south dublin to get it done? And is €8 a corner fairly standard for fitting tyres?

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

Markjsca1 wrote: »
    I rang round a few places enquiring about fitting these tyres...none of the franchised places are interested in doing it i.e. advance, fast fit etc. Anyone able to recommend a place in south dublin to get it done? And is €8 a corner fairly standard for fitting tyres?
    Check out the Eiretyres website - lots of installers listed on there: http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/stationssuche.pl?dsco=124.

I didn't buy from Eiretyres but I went to their listed local installer and just said that I bought tyres on "the net" and would they fit them?. I don't think they cared where I bought them, really, and I got the job done without a problem.

I think €8 is very cheap. I paid €10 plus €2.50 balancing and I live in the sticks. I think its about €15 in the Big Smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Great site that.
    I spotted it here on boards a few days ago.
    Got the same tyres .... nearly

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tyres, size 225/40/18 about €445 inc delivery
    Same tyres are around €220 each here!
    Getting them fitted for €8/10 per corner depending on if I get 4/2 fitted
    That's in Cork
    €880 Vs €477 :eek:

podge3 wrote: »
    Check out the Eiretyres website - lots of installers listed on there: http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/stationssuche.pl?dsco=124.

In my expierence not all the guys on the site will fit them, I had to do a bit of ringing around to get someone to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Just a word of caution regards the prices quoted by fitters on this website - there is a guy - Cloonboo tyres - listed at é7 per corner, I rang him the other day & he quoted me somehing like é11.50 per corner for 4 tyres. When I said to him that he is quoting é7 per corner on eiretyres website, he replied " ah sure those prices are 4 years out of date". However, when I searched for "Cloonboo tyres" on boards, I could find that he was charging é7 per corner in mid-2007 (18 months ago) - so much for 4 years out of date.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    In my expierence not all the guys on the site will fit them, I had to do a bit of ringing around to get someone to do it...
    rco2000 wrote: »

Just a word of caution regards the prices quoted by fitters on this website - there is a guy - Cloonboo tyres - listed at é7 per corner, I rang him the other day & he quoted me somehing like é11.50 per corner for 4 tyres. When I said to him that he is quoting é7 per corner on eiretyres website, he replied " ah sure those prices are 4 years out of date". However, when I searched for "Cloonboo tyres" on boards, I could find that he was charging é7 per corner in mid-2007 (18 months ago) - so much for 4 years out of date.
    I agree - I rang my local guy before I bought from Camskill as I didn't want to be left with 4 unfitted tyres.

Advance tyres swapped over 4 used tyres for me one time when got new alloys for my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exellent find, need a couple myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I got four new tyres in December, I priced them up on Eiretyres first then went haggling around the local fitting stations for prices, one came within €20 of the Eiretyres price (allowing for fitting) saving me about €80.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dodonovan

MarkR wrote: »

Hi MarkR

Many thanks for posting that info. My own car is due a full set of tyres as well.
    Did you get your tyres fitted in Limerick? If so, would you mind telling me who fitted them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You have to be carefull that the tyres you get are Europen road legal. I foget the name of the stamp/mark there supposed ot have. I got F1 GS-DS3's from Eiretyres a couple of years ago and they didnt have the coloured bands running though them like the ones you see here (got 2 here last year). Dont know why there was the difference.

Googling F1's there alot of talk about thee beign a cheap Chinese manufactured version that wear badly. Hard to know what truth is in it but I felt that mine didn't wear that well (even talking in to account their a soft tyre). Definetly bargins to be had though. I was quoted €147 fitted per tyre for the Asymmetric's a week or so ago (Discount Tyres Blanch).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

For the people who bought the tyres online and got them fitted, what did you do with the old tyres? do the fitters take them off you or do you have to dispose of them some other way? Also (this sounds stupid) but did you have much hassle fitting them in the boot?

Cheers.

Rew wrote: »
    I was quoted €147 fitted per tyre for the Asymmetric's a week or so ago (Discount Tyres Blanch).

What size out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

tw0nk, the fitters should take them, they charge 5 euro a corner for recylcing I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Getting them fitted for €8/10 per corner depending on if I get 4/2 fitted
    That's in Cork
    €880 Vs €477 :eek:

thanks OP for the link, very useful. @ mik_da_man - can you tell me who you used in Cork to fit the tyres? I am based in Cork city and may be needin this service in the coming year.

cheers, jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

thanks mike

jArgHA wrote: »
    thanks OP for the link, very useful. @ mik_da_man - can you tell me who you used in Cork to fit the tyres? I am based in Cork city and may be needin this service in the coming year.

cheers, jAH

Hi,

I am going to use the guy below - got his details off eiretyres
    Not 100% sure where he is, will sort that out when I get the tyres
    Christys Tyres
    Commons Rd
    Quinagh / Co Cork
    Telephone: 087 9272009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

thanks mik_da_man, Commons Rd is somewhere near the Blackpool Shopping Centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭patrickc

i got tryes off a mate last week at cost, he works in a motor dealers, anyhow to got them fitted, balanced and the old ones disposed of it was 35

jArgHA wrote: »
    thanks mik_da_man, Commons Rd is somewhere near the Blackpool Shopping Centre

Checked it on golden pages - Blackstone Bridge, Commons rd
    Still no further on as i'm not from around cork :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

dodonovan wrote: »
    Hi MarkR

Many thanks for posting that info. My own car is due a full set of tyres as well.
    Did you get your tyres fitted in Limerick? If so, would you mind telling me who fitted them?

MTS on clare street, near A1 bar.

Advertisement