Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three: All You Can Eat Data 4G Promo Extended

Options
  • 23-07-2014 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Anyone who is on the €20 Pre Pay plan (or any Unlimited internet plan) with Three will be getting free unlimited 4G for an extended amount of time.

Originally it was until the 31st of July but has been extended until 30th of November.

Available for new and existing customers.

Three Plan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

I love Three, they haven't done wrong by me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

balfe1990 wrote: »
    I love Three, they haven't done wrong by me yet.

You just have to keep an eye on them, otherwise they a complete let down when things go wrong.

Make sure your insurance is up to date ( They don't update your policy as standard)
    Don't bother calling customer service just update everything online ( The Indian call centre is actually better than the Irish one, The Irish lads have hung up on me, dumped me on other extensions)

Three will screw given any chance, They have no care in the world for their customers, but have a low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

So does this mean that come December (Though they'll probably extend it again) that you will have to pay for 4G but you'll still get the usual deal of all you can eat data if it's 3G you're using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Their customer service might be a PITA but you cannot complain about their unlimited 4G bundle for €20 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

zarquon wrote: »
    Their customer service might be a PITA but you cannot complain about their unlimited 4G bundle for €20 per month

But 'unlimited' I think in reality means 15GB, a very good allowance no doubt, but you are not allowed to tether etc I believe. For most people they probably would not come within an asses roar of 15GB a month for phone use only. You would need to use the phone as a hotspot to use that kind of allowance.

• Advertisement

kn wrote: »
    But 'unlimited' I think in reality means 15GB, a very good allowance no doubt, but you are not allowed to tether etc I believe. For most people they probably would not come within an asses roar of 15GB a month for phone use only. You would need to use the phone as a hotspot to use that kind of allowance.

You're not allowed to tether, but unless your phone has tethering disabled then there's nothing to stop you doing it :D . Even if you do tether, with wifi in so many places including homes you'd really want to be a heavy user to use 15GB.

kn wrote: »

It's truly unlimited, they got rid of the 15GB cap a long long time ago. Also you are not allowed to tether, but you can.

Edit: Actually it appears the 15GB cap is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Their out of package data charges are scandalous, but you can use 3 credit on the google play store, and one of those services for buying xbox credit or xbox live, so unless you need lots of credit, just dont let it build up

sharpish wrote: »
    Three will screw given any chance, They have no care in the world for their customers, but have a low price.

They're essentially the Ryanair of the Telecoms. Not a bad thing.

As for customer care, my experience on the commercial interaction forums here on boards have been much better with 3 than with Vodafone
    So does this mean that come December (Though they'll probably extend it again) that you will have to pay for 4G but you'll still get the usual deal of all you can eat data if it's 3G you're using?

Yeah, doubt they'll make any packages worse going into the competitive xmas market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

What about people on the the sim only plans, will they keep the free 4g? Had a look at the site but didn't see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

the difference between 3g and 4g is very minimal.

I sometimes get more download speed on 3g than I do on 4g, but the upload speed on 4g is definitely better (but again how often do you really upload that much).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It's offers like this that make me curse that I have about a year left with Vodafone.

Ugh.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    It's offers like this that make me curse that I have about a year left with Vodafone.

Ugh.

At times I've been tempted to switch to Vodafone. I've been with Three since they started here but I'm always losing my 3G/4G signal. It's perfect in the city but when living out in the country they seem to be crap; people I know on Vodafone have no problem getting 3G whereas I'm forever getting GPRS or else nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Living in the city my coverage has been pretty mediocre tbh. On 3G still however.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

You're not allowed to tether, but unless your phone has tethering disabled then there's nothing to stop you doing it :D . Even if you do tether, with wifi in so many places including homes you'd really want to be a heavy user to use 15GB.

I got a phone call 5mins ago to tell me tethering is Illegal... When pushed The guy said it's in the terms and conditions and they reserve the right to suspend service "should the find out about me tethering"

Three a shower of C***'s but they have cheap prices, treat them like they treat you and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    What about people on the the sim only plans, will they keep the free 4g? Had a look at the site but didn't see anything

I was wondering about this as well, I'm on sim only rolling monthly bill plan. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I got a phone call 5mins ago to tell me tethering is Illegal... When pushed The guy said it's in the terms and conditions and they reserve the right to suspend service "should the find out about me tethering"

Three a shower of C***'s but they have cheap prices, treat them like they treat you and you'll be fine.

Muppet post.:rolleyes:

Did you tell them you are tethering? If so you are foolish. I tether all the time and have never had any repercussions. As long as you aren't tethering stupid amounts of data you won't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The whole no-tethering thing is a bit redundant with smartphones these days anyway. Anything I can do on my computer I can do on my phone. There's nothing to stop me using my phone to download a 20gig Blu-Ray rip from Bittorrent. It's still not tethering but would fly down if there were enough peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Fresh Pots wrote: »

From the 3 interaction forum here on boards by an official rep:
    Great news! Our free 4G offer has been extended.

4G is still available to all our customers, for free, until November 30th 2014.

For info on all things 4G check out our website here.

linky to post: http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/91382470

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

griffdaddy wrote: »
    The whole no-tethering thing is a bit redundant with smartphones these days anyway. Anything I can do on my computer I can do on my phone. There's nothing to stop me using my phone to download a 20gig Blu-Ray rip from Bittorrent. It's still not tethering but would fly down if there were enough peers.

Apart from realising there's no point watching a blu-ray rip on a 5 inch screen.

Apart from realising there's no point watching a blu-ray rip on a 5 inch screen.

Depends on the screen resolution. There is a big difference in quality between a dvdrip and a 1080p bluray rip on my note 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the difference between 3g and 4g is very minimal.

I sometimes get more download speed on 3g than I do on 4g, but the upload speed on 4g is definitely better (but again how often do you really upload that much).

i'm not in a 4g area, but when in cork city or killarney i was getting download speeds of 38mbs and uploads of 20mbs or more. I cannot comment on the speed of 3g in these areas, but checking the 3g here , outside town/city areas, it's alot slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I can cast it to my Chromecast or use an MHL cable in my TV or transfer it to a memory stick or computer? It's no different at all to downloading it on a computer
    zarquon wrote: »
    Depends on the screen resolution. There is a big difference in quality between a dvdrip and a 1080p bluray rip on my note 3.

This too. You can really notice a difference on the note 3 between the resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Great offer by Three. They can hardly start charging people for it though in December after giving people almost a year free can they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Great offer by Three. They can hardly start charging people for it though in December after giving people almost a year free can they ?

Fairly unlikely. Just marketing I'd say. Have a limited time offer to entice customers in, extend it, then repeat. Not to mention that nobody is going to pay an €5 per month for a marginal speed increase.

They've been extending their AYCE data offer every time it nears the "offer valid until..." date for years now. They know they'd lose tons of customers if they ever did let it expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

There is a big difference if you use your phone with a HDMI cable or a chromecast. You don't need a PC in the middle to get it to a tv

Also.. Tethering might not be allowed but what stops you downloading on a phone and USB transferring it to your laptop or htpc? Or ps3?

Tons of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

At times I've been tempted to switch to Vodafone. I've been with Three since they started here but I'm always losing my 3G/4G signal. It's perfect in the city but when living out in the country they seem to be crap; people I know on Vodafone have no problem getting 3G whereas I'm forever getting GPRS or else nothing at all.

Now that they've bought O2 those problems will become a thing of the past

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Now that they've bought O2 those problems will become a thing of the past

The danger with this, is that they will now be the second largest network, almost as big as Vodafone with lots of business and contract customers and thus they might stop being the cheap, Ryanair of mobile phone companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Anyone who is on the €20 Pre Pay plan with Three will be getting free 4G for an extended amount of time.

Originally it was until the 31st of July but has been extended until 30th of November.

Available for new and existing customers.

Three Plan

I don't get why you said this when it's actually ALL Three customers.

Advertisement