Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromecast - Now available in Ireland - €39

• 15-07-2014 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭

Mod Warning:

Any more discussion of illegal apps will result in a ban.

Free or not if its against the law it cant be discussed on boards.ie

It was only available by American and Parcel Motel tomfoolery, but now you can get it direct from the Emerald Isle in 1-2 working days.

Slightly more expensive than the States, considering conversion, but a bargain nonetheless if compared versus shipping from Parcel Motel and the like.

-- Your favourite online content on your big screen.

Sit back, watch together.
    With Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favourite online entertainment on your HDTV - movies, videos, music, photos, websites and more from Netflix, YouTube, Google Play and Chrome. No more huddling around small screens and tiny speakers. Chromecast automatically updates to work with a growing number of apps.

-- Remote-free.
    Control in the palm of your hand.

Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android smartphones and tablets, iPhone® and iPad®, Chrome for Windows® and Chrome for Mac®. Browse for what to watch, control playback, and adjust volume using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. You won't have to learn anything new.

-- Plug in and play.

Get started in 3 easy steps.
    Plug Chromecast into your HDTV, connect it to Wi-Fi, then cast videos and more from your smartphone, tablet or laptop to your TV.
    It’s for everyone in your house.

Friends and family can use your Chromecast with their smartphone, tablet or laptop without any additional setup.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've seen it in my local Tescos for 40 quid, it's been here ages. Think it's in Argos too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bit late to the party but thanks. Picked mine up in Currys for €40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

That's mad. Strange, as they're claiming that it's an official launch only today.

Still, one quid cheaper. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Do you also get a redeemable Play Store code as the UK/US did?

Still, one quid cheaper. ;)

€3.00 cheapest shipping so no.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

On the radio and everywhere online I could find it said the price was €35 but on the Play Store it says €39?

Only €4 but still, what gives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Now all we need is Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Now all we need is Internet.

Faster average than most European countries now according to the OECD - you just need to live in a town.

I cancelled my Amazon order for this, then I realise that delivery isn't free!

Time to reorder and beg for priority delivery methinks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

When it says it works with IPhone and iPad, does airdrop work?

• Advertisement

markc1184 wrote: »

Because Google are a nice company who believe in cross platform development then yeah... It'll work grand with you iStuff.

I'm an Android user so I haven't a clue about AirDrop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Got one of these as a birthday present recently and it's a great little device!

Dead handy for casting Youtube videos or if you have a Google music account.

Would recommend the Allcast Premium app in the Play store too. Pretty much allows you to cast any video you have on your device/network and can be used in combination with some other apps to cast streaming movies and tv shows.

The addition of the screen mirroring for Android devices last week is a great bonus too. Works surprisingly well despite being still a work in progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

markc1184 wrote: »

nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

I had a loaner of one of these a while back. Was not impressed. If you don't have a Netflix account, or want to watch YouTube videos on your TV, or have a google music account, it's pretty pointless tbh. I was hoping to be able to stream HD content from my laptop directly but you can't even do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah you can.

https://plex.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Depends on how the files are encoded I think. Some very high quality videos suffer from a lot of stutter yet other can be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Elessar wrote: »
    I had a loaner of one of these a while back. Was not impressed. If you don't have a Netflix account, or want to watch YouTube videos on your TV, or have a google music account, it's pretty pointless tbh. I was hoping to be able to stream HD content from my laptop directly but you can't even do that.

You can with local cast .i use it all the time I download movies/TV shows to tablet,as long as there not mkvs,or avi they work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

naughto wrote: »
    You can with local cast .i use it all the time I download movies/TV shows to tablet,as long as there not mkvs,or avi they work

That's like saying as long as your car doesn't need petrol or diesel then it'll run fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah you can.

https://plex.tv

This was a pay only app when I had the loaner. Good to see its open now, but I don't really have any interest in their app or their services. I just want to stream HD content directly without using any third party services.
    naughto wrote: »

That's the thing. All of my content is 1080p MKV files. Ideally I could just open the file in VLC, click a button and have it stream to the TV automatically. Until then, Chromecast won't be worth it for me. I believe VLC are working on it, but Google won't release a desktop SDK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

showbox app + BubbleUPNP + Chromecast = amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Blikes wrote: »
    showbox app + BubbleUPNP + Chromecast = amazing.

Exactly what I want to do! Is that mirroring the app? Hard on battery I assume?

Going to use my Three pre pay account to get the dongle as it us linked to my Google Wallet, 2 monthly top ups and o effectively get the dongle for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Use the Videostream for Google Chromecast™ extension for streaming HD content from your laptop. Works perfectly with every file I've thrown at it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

anyone know if its possible to get the boxnation android app or the boxnation web tv stream to work through chromecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

dahat wrote: »

It's not a mirroring app, it just casts the info to your chromecast instead of playing on your phone so it's not hard on battery at all actually. It was explained why on the android forum but I can't do the explanation justice. You wouldn't notice you'd been using it as far as battery goes though.
    stagolee wrote: »
    anyone know if its possible to get the boxnation android app or the boxnation web tv stream to work through chromecast?

If you have one of the below phones you can mirror display to the chromecast and watch anything thats on your phone screen on your tv, so you can this or any app on your tv. If you dont have one of the phones that officially supports this but you're rooted and on kitkat you can google xda app Mirror Enabler and see if it supports your phone.

Officially supported for mirroring :
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10
    HTC One M7
    LG G3
    LG G2
    LG G Pro 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

It's not a mirroring app, it just casts the info to your chromecast instead of playing on your phone so it's not hard on battery at all actually. It was explained why on the android forum but I can't do the explanation justice. You wouldn't notice you'd been using it as far as battery goes though.

If you have one of the below phones you can mirror display to the chromecast and watch anything thats on your phone screen on your tv, so you can this or any app on your tv. If you dont have one of the phones that officially supports this but you're rooted and on kitkat you can google xda app Mirror Enabler and see if it supports your phone.

Officially supported for mirroring :
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10
    HTC One M7
    LG G3
    LG G2
    LG G Pro 2

Is that video and audio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is that video and audio?

Yup it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Enable Chromecast Mirroring from Any Device
    POSTED JULY 11, 2014 AT 6:00 AM BY WILL VERDUZCO
    Enable Chromecast Mirroring from Any Device
    Just two days ago, we talked about how the Google Chromecast gained beta support for Android device screen mirroring. This new feature, which was originally discussed in the Google I/O 2014 keynote, is made possible by the latest Chromecast Android app update and the recently released Chromecast 17250 firmware.

While the newfound Android device mirroring capabilities are quite useful, they are also quite limited. Sure, the functionality works practically flawlessly on officially supported devices. However, only 14 devices are currently approved to screencast to the Chromecast.

Luckily, this is XDA-Developers, where dreams come true and OEM limitations removed. And like various other third party development efforts in the past, the Chromecast mirroring functionality has now been extended to other devices. This work comes courtesy of XDA Senior Member r3pwn, who was able to create a root-enabled application that fools the standard Google Chromecast companion app into thinking that you’re running a supported device.

Naturally, there will be issues on certain devices. As such, this is currently marked as “experimental,” until more devices are tested. However, we already know that the Xperia Z1, HTC One M8, Samsung Note 8, and Note Pro 12.2 are working fine. The Galaxy S3 and Note 2 are hit or miss, but unfortunately the Evo 3D doesn’t seem to work at all. This is, of course, in addition to the 14 officially supported devices. It is reasonable to assume that only devices running KitKat MR1 (4.4.1) will be able to use this functionality.

If you wish to enable Chromecast mirroring from your Android device, you are n ow free to do so. Simply make your way over to the Chromecast mirroring thread to learn more.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/enable-chromecast-mirroring-from-any-device/

Will have to reorder off Amazon I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Picked one up in Tesco Clearwater for €39

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

dahat wrote: »

Going to use my Three pre pay account to get the dongle as it us linked to my Google Wallet, 2 monthly top ups and o effectively get the dongle for free.

Thought you could only pay for Apps via your Three credit?

Dman001 wrote: »
    Thought you could only pay for Apps via your Three credit?

I use my three credit to get the Google music sub so assuming I can use it in the play store as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Got it for €37 via Amazon and parcel motel only yesterday ha swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    Got it for €37 via Amazon and parcel motel only yesterday ha swings and roundabouts

Why didn't you opt for Free Super Saver Delivery instead of Parcel Motel?

I haven't noticed any massive battery drain using Showbox with Allcast. It's not actually mirroring the device and instead sending the video URL to the Chromecast afaik.

Unfortunately you can't use carrier billing for devices.

Crafty plan rumbled so off to Tesco on the morning to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Using it with avia....xbmc few of the links can be played as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

bidiots wrote: »
    Why didn't you opt for Free Super Saver Delivery instead of Parcel Motel?
    Cause I ordered it before it was announced in Ireland by about about 12 hours haha

Also my first time ordering from parcel motel so that part was free

I set mine up yesterday. Surprisingly easy to set up. Plugged it in to tv, switched to that HDMI setting. Ignored what it said on the screen and just downloaded the app on my tablet. It somehow found the chromecast and set it up with only a minor setting change on my part. I'm not even sure how it found the device as clearly it hadn't joined a wireless network yet.... magic? I'm in IT and have no idea how it worked so easily.

Edit: Never mind, found the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTrKZpE8hUY
    Simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

dahat wrote:

nope, BubbleUPNP just sends the link to the chromecast and the Chromecast goes out and fetches the video. it will continue to play even if you leave the house or disconnect from WiFi so no extra battery drain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Elessar wrote: »

Showbox. Look it up. guaranteed to change your opinion!

• Advertisement

kingstevii wrote: »
    Showbox. Look it up. guaranteed to change your opinion!

What's the legality in regards to that App I wonder?

Dunno. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

i dont know Alan, id imagine its a bit of a grey area..

It's heavy on in app advertising so where does that advertising revenue go? I think there's a reason it's not easy to find (without being told) and isn't on the play store.

Saruman wrote: »
    It's heavy on in app advertising so where does that advertising revenue go? I think there's a reason it's not easy to find (without being told) and isn't on the play store.
    kingstevii wrote: »
    i dont know Alan, id imagine its a bit of a grey area..

If it offers free movies and tv shows and you're not paying for them then it has to be illegal.

As such I doubt it will be allowed to be discussed here and any posts mentioning its name will probably be edited out.

As for the ads just use an AdBlocker.

Apologies for going off topic but I have a question.

I have my harddrive connected to my Vodafone Fibre router and I can use this for FTP and uploading files to it etc.

I can access it from my phone/tablet using a file explorer such as ES file explorer.

I am wondering is there any player I can use or app that I can stream the videos on my harddrive to the Chromecast?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Apologies for going off topic but I have a question.

I have my harddrive connected to my Vodafone Fibre router and I can use this for FTP and uploading files to it etc.

I can access it from my phone/tablet using a file explorer such as ES file explorer.

I am wondering is there any player I can use or app that I can stream the videos on my harddrive to the Chromecast?

Thanks in advance.

Plex should work?

Plex should work?
    Would need a computer turned on for that which is awkward.

I could easily just connect my harddrive to my tele but I don't want that.

I want to be able to control it with my phone.

It's not an actual NAS device, just a Hard Drive connected then using the in built Vodafone FTP service to access it using my phone and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

If it offers free movies and tv shows and you're not paying for them then it has to be illegal.

As such I doubt it will be allowed to be discussed here and any posts mentioning its name will probably be edited out.

As for the ads just use an AdBlocker.

Why are you asking about the legality of it if you know what it does ? Maybe you should also send the mods a link so they definitely delete any mention of it :rolleyes:

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Why are you asking about the legality of it if you know what it does ?

I'm just wondering.
    Maybe you should also send the mods a link so they definitely delete any mention of it :rolleyes:

Now why would I do that?:eek:

Bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss methinks :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement