Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromecast - Now available in Ireland - €39

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Any more discussion of illegal apps will result in a ban.

Free or not if its against the law it cant be discussed on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

If it offers free movies and tv shows and you're not paying for them then it has to be illegal.

As such I doubt it will be allowed to be discussed here and any posts mentioning its name will probably be edited out.

As for the ads just use an AdBlocker.

I cant find anything online to say its illegal, have you any link or proof that it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

kingstevii wrote: »
    I cant find anything online to say its illegal, have you any link or proof that it is?

This is way off topic. Let's stick to chromecast availability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Apologies for going off topic but I have a question.

I have my harddrive connected to my Vodafone Fibre router and I can use this for FTP and uploading files to it etc.

I can access it from my phone/tablet using a file explorer such as ES file explorer.

I am wondering is there any player I can use or app that I can stream the videos on my harddrive to the Chromecast?

Thanks in advance.

When I stream stuff to my phone (Samsung) an icon appears on the top left that when pressed allows me to watch the recording on any available devices (TV / Google Chromecast). Perhaps all smart phones are able to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonny p

Anyone know if there is a work around to use Chromecast without the internet, I have a Wireless network without home internet and it connects to chromecast no problem but chromecast says "reconnect me". anyone know a workaround for this?

I basically want to be able to use Plex to stream from my mac and local-cast to stream from my phone without any internet connection.

Currently I use my phone as Hotspot and tablet to stream internet stuff, but while I have the Hotspot on my phone I cant stream local content on the phone at the same time,

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

wrong forum for those questions fella. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere for the chromecast itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

peteb2 wrote: »
    wrong forum for those questions fella. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere for the chromecast itself.

Yep, here is the best place to ask:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056999700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

back on topic, I'd like to pick up a chromecast in a B&M store in Dublin today. what are my options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

back on topic, I'd like to pick up a chromecast in a B&M store in Dublin today. what are my options?

Argos, some tescos or Pc World/Currys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Chromecast now in the Devices section of Google Play store for Ireland €39

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Ste- wrote: »
    Argos, some tescos or Pc World/Currys.

Available in Currys for €40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Techless wrote: »

That's an extra €1 though ;)

I got two more yesterday in argos blanch. Will have them in every TV in the house now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Saruman wrote: »
    That's an extra €1 though ;)

I got two more yesterday in argos blanch. Will have them in every TV in the house now.

And 3 euro delivery from the play store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Why is there a mod note on illegal apps at the start of the thread? I never knew such a thing existed, illegal apps on a phone??
    What do they do? Obviously don't discuss it with me please, I dont want warnings, pm me if you like.

Anyway, my question before I buy one, I have one of those AP media receivers from a previous thread here. When I stream RTE player from the phone to it, there is a sync delay between picture and sound, is it the same with this chromecast device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but it's back on the argos website for reservation.

CA Link

Priced at €39 now, it was €40 wasn't it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but it's back on the argos website for reservation.

CA Link

Priced at €39 now, it was €40 wasn't it? :)

I reserved Sunday and picked up Monday.

Still no mention of Play Store credit for Irish customers :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Techless wrote: »

bought 2 there the last day.

normally wouldn't give curry's the steam of my piss, but worth it for chromecast.

Epic little addition to any tech household.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

Anybody know how to stream DVDs from my computer to the chromecast. The applications I looked at e.g. videostream didn't support this.

I assume that as an mpeg4 capable device it is backward compatible to mpeg2 streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Phil_Lives wrote: »
    Anybody know how to stream DVDs from my computer to the chromecast. The applications I looked at e.g. videostream didn't support this.

I assume that as an mpeg4 capable device it is backward compatible to mpeg2 streams.

What's a DVD???

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

Saw Chromecast in Tesco, Wilton. €39.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

Is it normal to have a loss of image quality when casting to the TV? Using Allcast or directly casting the screen from my S4 to a 42" Panasonic HD TV, the loss in colour saturation is quite bad. I've selected the high quality version of programs from Showbox, thinking that might help, but it's just as bad. Also, the free version of AllCast only allows blocks of 5 minute casts. Is there another free application that I can substitute? I have so far managed to never have to buy an app for anything. I'd like to keep up the tradition is possible.

This loss of quality is the same regardless of what I'm trying to stream to the T.V. (e.g. YouTube, etc).

Is showbox one of the illegal apps the mod mentions in the beginning?
    Genuinely curious on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Is showbox one of the illegal apps the mod mentions in the beginning?
    Genuinely curious on this one.

That and popcorn time I think.

Ok, I will drop the discussion on them so. I just didn't know. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Is it normal to have a loss of image quality when casting to the TV? Using Allcast or directly casting the screen from my S4 to a 42" Panasonic HD TV, the loss in colour saturation is quite bad. I've selected the high quality version of programs from Showbox, thinking that might help, but it's just as bad. Also, the free version of AllCast only allows blocks of 5 minute casts. Is there another free application that I can substitute? I have so far managed to never have to buy an app for anything. I'd like to keep up the tradition is possible.

This loss of quality is the same regardless of what I'm trying to stream to the T.V. (e.g. YouTube, etc).

I find showbox quaility very poor the movies/tv shows are very dark maybe its my tv i dont no but i dont bother with show box any more.as for allcast i use it all the time will you will get the full version on the site that has ass and kick together

Is allcast not just the same as the stock screen casting option on phones?
    I have a random elephone from hong kong and there is a screen mirroring option in the tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Is allcast not just the same as the stock screen casting option on phones?
    I have a random elephone from hong kong and there is a screen mirroring option in the tools.
    Not really, You can use other apps on the phone while casting and I'd say it uses less cpu/battery.

Oh right, that sounds good, must have a go off it tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

KazDub wrote: »

How much is AllCast? How many hours did it take the developer to write it? The alternative to paying a couple of euro for a fantastic app is to be either bombarded with adverts... or have the developers working in another area. Think about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Elessar wrote:
    I had a loaner of one of these a while back. Was not impressed. If you don't have a Netflix account, or want to watch YouTube videos on your TV, or have a google music account, it's pretty pointless tbh. I was hoping to be able to stream HD content from my laptop directly but you can't even do that.

Use plex....you can stream HD content....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Price has dropped on Amazon for anyone looking

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Does not seem to have dropped too much... 29.77 now

Was 18 a few days ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Does not seem to have dropped too much... 29.77 now

Was 18 a few days ago...

Wasn't aware. I paid more myself when it wasn't available in Ireland. Liking it though. Brilliant when you've an android phone for screen casting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Web video cast is a free alternative to All Cast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Chromecast is $28 on Amazon US, so €36.34 delivered. Probably not worth it, but still a little bit cheaper than Google Play.
    YmU1h.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DR0PDNE/?tag=qbki-20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Can you store media on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, its a streaming device with only a modest amount of storage for caching.

• Advertisement

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

MYOB wrote: »
    No, its a streaming device with only a modest amount of storage for caching.

I knew that I just heard a rumour.
    I'm thinking of getting one do they work well with home videos on laptops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Should work fine for home videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

As long as they are MP4 format or any other format that chrome browser supports, otherwise you will have to find the way to cast it to chromecast some other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

I bought one of these and they're great! I use it all the time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Should work fine for home videos.

Plex, plex and plex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Am I right in thinking these will still not work with a Nexus 7 (2012)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Drag00n79 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking these will still not work with a Nexus 7 (2012)?

It will work with it, I have one myself — but certain features aren't available. I've since rooted mine to allow for Screen Mirroring, but if you're looking to watch movies, tv shows, YouTube etc (and web videos), then it works perfect with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Amazon - Chromecast reduced from £30 to £25 (€33.50) incl. delivery.

Not sure if this is the best price going at the moment.

www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00I4WQ618/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417007640&sr=8-1&keywords=chromecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Advertisement