Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humour/Comedy/Light Reading Recommendations

Options
  • 12-04-2015 5:01pm

I want to stock up on a few light reads, maybe some humour or comedy fiction or non-fiction. I love Bill Bryson and I've read all his work, but I'm looking for a mix of easy reads and laugh out louds, and other than BB, nothing springs to mind.

I tend to go for more serious stuff in general, but I've a few months ahead where I know I'm going to need a little lightness and few laughs, and reads that don't require too much concentration. Because I'm an almost-stranger to the genre, I would love some recommendations if anyone has any to share. I'd especially love a series of books - the longer, the better, although stand-alone book ideas are also welcome. :)

I'm open to both fiction and non-fiction, and I'd love a selection that I can pick up and down at whim, as opposed to my usual bulldozer method of tearing through a book from beginning to end because I can't bear to leave it unfinished!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The late Terry Pratchett series of Discworld. Usually excellent and humourous fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kurt Vonnegut is great if you want some laugh-out-loud moments. I would recommend checking out Slaughterhouse-Five.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

David Sedaris is worth a look if you like Bill Bryson, very funny as well!

Manach wrote: »
    The late Terry Pratchett series of Discworld. Usually excellent and humourous fare.

I must look into Pratchett. While I like some sci-fi - PKD is one of my faves, I don't fare so well with fantasy, but theres no harm in trying something new if it otherwise fits the bill!
    Kurt Vonnegut is great if you want some laugh-out-loud moments. I would recommend checking out Slaughterhouse-Five.

Laugh-out-loud is exactly what I'm hoping for, thanks!
    penguin88 wrote: »
    David Sedaris is worth a look if you like Bill Bryson, very funny as well!

And thank you too, lots to check out now on Amazon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

There's a book called 'What if?' by Randall Monroe wherein he answers hypothetical questions submitted to his website. He then runs with it to a ridiculous degree, using science but hilariously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭exgp

Refuse to die before you've read "Catch 22." Promise.

Birneybau wrote: »
    There's a book called 'What if?' by Randall Monroe wherein he answers hypothetical questions submitted to his website. He then runs with it to a ridiculous degree, using science but hilariously.

I like the sound of this. :)
    exgp wrote: »
    Refuse to die before you've read "Catch 22." Promise.

I've read it, and enjoyed it. I'm not sure I'd count it amongst the greatest works of literature in the 20th century though!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

PG Wodehouse may be old-skool in style but there is plenty of reading to get through and it should get you chuckling. I bought a few of the 'Jeeves' series for my mother and found myself hooked - haven't even got to the 'Blandings' series yet although I've enjoyed a sneaky peak at the BBC tv interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

If you're looking for lighthearted humour, I'd recommend Mike Gayle- guaranteed to have you smiling and laughing.

Advertisement