Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit confused - Property & Accommodation Ban

Options
  • 05-04-2015 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Not quite sure what I'm doing in the naughty corner but I hope admin can help with a third opinion as it was never my intention to break any rules, let alone get banned from the property and accommodation forum in one evening I was trying to be helpful. I am supposed to ask a category mod first, but I can't find the right category
    in the drop down menu, is there a property category mod??? I can't see the property section to ask there, sorry.

I have been banned and I don't know why, if The_Conductor had explained where I went wrong I would never had made the same mistake twice

... In one evening I received an infraction for naming and shaming. Something which clearly I did not do

The_Conductor

Moderator Note

If you intend to continue using the forum- make sure you comply with the forum's charter- and *there will be no naming and shaming*

Your post: Quote: househero

The regulators are there to protect the landlords IMO.

Post here who they are, if you are stating facts and facts only, there is nothing wrong with letting us know who you were dealing with.

(I tried to be helpful by suggesting that facts should only be written, I won't suggest somebody writes who they were dealing with again) But I didn't name anybody.

I received an infraction for personal abuse when I wrote...

Moderator Note

This is beyond personal abuse- its actually quite threatening. You cannot make comments like this.

...I asked mongfinder to come back and let us know how he gets on with his investigation into gift tax here, the conversation is clearly pleasant and supporting...

Quote: Mongfinder General

Sure, will do. This happened to my brother in law in the States. He got stung for gift tax on 50k. It got me wondering about what rules apply here. I asked around and apparently Revenue could take a case against a donee. I haven't heard of any cases here yet. Some of the clowns who've exited NAMA and are back in business should be hunted down and taxed on this.

I replayed with this...
    This isn't litigation country. Don't dig up something you later regret.

My advice was not to make revenue aware of his circumstances or he might regret it. (If they tax him when they wouldn't have even been aware of his liabilities
    before hand)

I don't understand how this could even remotely be interpreted as threatening. I don't understand why this has given me an infraction. I was genuinely
    trying go be helpful. If Mongfinger was offended and complained (sorry I can't see the thread anymore so I don't know) I would be happy to apologize
    as it was intended to be helpful and in no way threatening, although still, I fail to read it in anyway that could be seen as threatening. I am very confused and it feels like
    The_Conductor has been desperately searching for reasons to ban me when I have been trying to help others as the property forum has helped me so much over the last 3 years.

I received these two infractions AFTER Being banned for writing what actually happened to me, I wrote my actual personal experience to hopefully help the OP not be subjected to the same very unpleasant situation I was victim to.

The reason why The_Conductor cited as why I was banned was Trolling, which I don't understand as I rather bluntly wrote what happened to us, maybe I could have sugar coated it, but I am still very bitter about being a victim of a overt thief and the guards and prtb couldn't help. And he knew it, he probably does the same to other naive
    renters.

We payed cash. The ahole claimed we didn't pay when we left. We couldn't do anything about it. I wrecked his house before I left.

Please find this thread as I explained what happened to me and my wife. The OP was asking if it was OK to pay a landlord his flat deposit by cash. I posted exactly what happened to us when we payed cash (the landlord claimed we never paid a deposit, stole €800 from us and laughed at us). So the op would hopefully avoid the terribl situation we were put in.

What I wrote was fact. If I can't do that, as I explained to The_Conductor, I would have been happy to edit my post, but I was nit warned, just thrown 3 infractions and a ban in line go. I think I upset The_Conductor when I asked him how his tenants felt after he raised their rent by 20% and he searched long and hard for reasons to ban me. There was nothing offensive in the question at all. I would be happy to remove my comment about th landlord stealing our deposi but I was not trolling, I did not offend the MongFinger and I did not name and shame anybody.

I would really appreciate your ultimate wisdom and if it did look like I was trying to offend anybody I would be happy to apologize,but it was never my intention to upset anybody,i hope somebody found my contribution helpful.

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi househero,

I am the CMod who will be looking into this for you. I realise that you have been in a general PM exchange with the moderator in question, but please confirm that you have specifically tried to resolve the issue of a ban with him and were unsucessful, before I move froward with this.

Regards,
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

mike_ie wrote: »
    Hi househero,

I am the CMod who will be looking into this for you. I realise that you have been in a general PM exchange with the moderator in question, but please confirm that you have specifically tried to resolve the issue of a ban with him and were unsucessful, before I move froward with this.

Regards,
    Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for getting in touch. I tried to PM The_Conductor to see if it can be resolved in the light of day as I understand things can be read out of context.

I will patiently wait for The_Conductor to respond and hope that it would be removed as I like contributing to the property forum in particular. If I am allowed back on the property forum, I will make sure that I read the charter again to make sure I wouldn't break any rules. I would admit, after a few years on here I have not refreshed what is and isn't allowed on the property forum and I have quite possibly picked up some bad driving habits along the way. I do feel like a ban was a little excessive as there was absolutely no malice in my posts. I hope it can be resolved soon, I only came back on yesterday to see how the young man got on with paying the landlord who he suspected was drunk when he spoke to him. I hope things worked out for him.

I shall see what happens and I am sorry if I have wasted anybody's time.

Thanks for your help & happy Easter

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

No worries househero, that's what DRP is for.

I'll take the initial steps in looking into the lead up to your ban myself, and I'll drop the mods a PM to get their side of the situation. Please bear in mind though that as it is a holiday weekend and people have other commitments, this may take a day or two. Of course, if you reach resolution yourself in the meantime, please let me know.

Beannachtaí na Cásca ort,
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

mike_ie wrote: »
    No worries househero, that's what DRP is for.

I'll take the initial steps in looking into the lead up to your ban myself, and I'll drop the mods a PM to get their side of the situation. Please bear in mind though that as it is a holiday weekend and people have other commitments, this may take a day or two. Of course, if you reach resolution yourself in the meantime, please let me know.

Beannachtaí na Cásca ort,
    Mike

Thank you Mike, I will let you know if I hear back from The_Conductor. I wont be coming back to Boards in a rush so I will see what is what next weekend.

Thanks again for your help, I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend

Good afternoon househero,

The_Conductor has been in touch with me and he has agreed to remove the infraction and ban from your account - I believe that he has been in touch with you already with regards to this. Therefore this DRP is now redundant, and I'll close it off.

I would like to point out however that you are rubbing posters and moderators up the wrong way - by your own admission you have not refreshed what is and isn't allowed on the accommodation and property forum, and that does seem to be a factor here. The moderator in question feels that your views are as valid as any other persons - and indeed a necessary counter to people with opposing views, as long as they fall within the remit of the forum charter.

Your commitment above to familiarising yourself with the forum charter will go a long way towards remedying this - I do hope you follow through on that promise.

Regards,
    Mike

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement