Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from soccer forum

Options
  • 29-03-2015 1:26am

I would like another assessment of why I was yellow carded in this particular case. Please review all posts during this instance as I would like fair judgement made of this card.
    I spoke in topic and that is all, I did not respond to multiple insults aimed towards me in an attempt to bait but I continued to discuss the topic I brought up. It seems as if for some reason I need to be aware of all historical posts in a thread in order to bring about duscussion or debate. Just because I'm a utd fan posting in a Liverpool thread I apparently have to adjust to there opinion.
    There seems to be some pre judgement made because of apparent issues in the past and this seems sufficiant enough for this particular moderator to take the inititivie and card me even though I have not broken the charter. He belivies I was trolling and I'm stating I wasn't. Just because a bunch of upset Liverpool fans belive so and report posts doesn't mean I cannot dispute in this case.
    I have spoken to both mods and both have had there reasons for banning but I want this reviewed.
    I would appreciate an honest assesmemt of this particular case.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,281 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If anyone else posts in this thread who's not the OP, a Sports CMod or an admin, I will be handing out bans.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'll take a look at this. I note you have already spoken to the local mods and they have confirmed they are standing behind the yellow card (and resultant ban)

I also note your comments about insults aimed towards you and attempts to bait you. I will though initially ask you why you choose to post regularly in the Liverpool Superthread when you seem to acknowledge you get a rise out of certain regulars within that thread? In fact I've already noted that other posters have been sanctioned for reacting to some of your posts. The specifics concerning those posters are not for discussion here, but the fact that you seem to regularly wind up Liverpool fans is perhaps indicative of the nature of your posting within that thread

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, I'll take a look at this. I note you have already spoken to the local mods and they have confirmed they are standing behind the yellow card (and resultant ban)

I also note your comments about insults aimed towards you and attempts to bait you. I will though initially ask you why you chooser's to post regularly in the Liverpool Superthread when you seem to acknowledge you get a rise out of certain regulars within that thread? In fact I've already noted that other posters have been sanctioned for reacting to some of your posts. The specifics concerning those posters are not for discussion here, but the fact that you seem to regularly wind up Liverpool fans is perhaps indicative of the nature of your posting within that thread

As stated I have no issues with the mods I just want somebody else to review this.
    I chose to post in the liverpool thread because the rules never state a particular fan base cannot.
    I also chose to post in the thread because the rivalry exists between both clubs and that's that but doesn't mean I cannot discuss this. I picked up on a discussion I had initially missed out on.
    If you read through the posts no matter how controversial they may seem to Liverpool fans I hold the opinion that I posted and I honestly believe liverpool haven't a hope of signing kheidera and I also subsequently stated the reasons why thereafter.
    I ignored said abuse posts aimed at me and I didn't report them either.
    You even had same set of fans jumping in here last night having another go only the above mid deleted the posts.
    Again this is besides the point and your correct in saying that its not for discussion about other posters here but if you honestly feel like its not in any way related to this then your mistaken.
    I received the same type of abuse only a few days before this and again I did the same. I trued to post on topic and I ignored the abuse. I can link this also if need be.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I chose to post in the liverpool thread because the rules never state a particular fan base cannot.
    I also chose to post in the thread because the rivalry exists between both clubs and that's that but doesn't mean I cannot discuss this.
    Absolutely - but when posting in a Superthread you should have respect for the views/opinions of the regulars and not take opportunities to attempt to wind them up particularly in this case given the rivalry between Liverpool and Man Utd
    If you read through the posts no matter how controversial they may seem to Liverpool fans I hold the opinion that I posted and I honestly believe liverpool haven't a hope of signing kheidera and I also subsequently stated the reasons why thereafter.
    And so we are getting to the crux of the matter. You know your views will be controversial within that thread but choose to post them anyway. That's not just an isolated example. It is quite clear to me that you "enjoy" the rivalry between the clubs in a way that encourages you to try and build that rivalry further. The problem is you equally know you will get reactions from some Liverpool fans
    I ignored said abuse posts aimed at me and I didn't report them either.
    Please report any abusive posts going forward.

So in summary, what I am seeing when looking at individual posts is nothing that is a major problem. However when I look at them in combination I am seeing quite clear (and indeed blatant) low level trolling

I am therefore upholding the card and resultant ban. I note the mod requested when issuing the yellow card that you refrain from posting in that thread unless you do so civilly. I would go further and suggest, given your record of baiting Liverpool fans, that it's in your best interests to try and avoid that thread altogether as you are likely to get a reaction unless there is a fundamental change to your approach here

You may of course ask for an Admin to review my decision if you wish

Beasty wrote: »
    Absolutely - but when posting in a Superthread you should have respect for the views/opinions of the regulars and not take opportunities to attempt to wind them up particularly in this case given the rivalry between Liverpool and Man Utd
    And so we are getting to the crux of the matter. You know your views will be controversial within that thread but choose to post them anyway. That's not just an isolated example. It is quite clear to me that you "enjoy" the rivalry between the clubs in a way that encourages you to try and build that rivalry further. The problem is you equally know you will get reactions from some Liverpool fans
    Please report any abusive posts going forward.

So in summary, what I am seeing when looking at individual posts is nothing that is a major problem. However when I look at them in combination I am seeing quite clear (and indeed blatant) low level trolling

I am therefore upholding the card and resultant ban. I note the mod requested when issuing the yellow card that you refrain from posting in that thread unless you do so civilly. I would go further and suggest, given your record of baiting Liverpool fans, that it's in your best interests to try and avoid that thread altogether as you are likely to get a reaction unless there is a fundamental change to your approach here

You may of course ask for an Admin to review my decision if you wish

I still believe it's harsh in this case as rules are rules if you determine that it's been a case of 'low level trolling' then that's always up for debate.
    Being a regular poster in a thread does not give them certain privileges over me and vice versa.
    IMO it sounds like it's more of a case of certain posters taking this forum way too seriously and cannot take a step back and take a deep breath and recognise this before the lash out with rather embarrassing outbursts of abuse. And in order to keep things stable a card for me in this case seems to be the fair thing to do from an admin standpoint to keep these posters happy.
    But again I respect that you had another look at this from a different angle. And also respect the views of the other admins so no hard feelings as I stated. It is just a forum at the end of the day.
    I would appreciate if you could get an Admin to review if that's ok.
    Thanks Beasty

• Advertisement

I would appreciate if you could get an Admin to review if that's ok.
    Thanks Beasty
    OK - I've pointed the Admins towards this thread. Hopefully one will be along in due course

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Apologies for the delay... these things just slip through the cracks and there's a lot going on at the moment.

M!Ck^, I'm afraid I don't buy your innocent approach to posting in that thread.
    Not a hope of khedira signing for pool
    The only joke here is pool fans thinking he will sign for them
    These are not the posts of a supporter of another team engaging in meaningful chat. Especially given that conversation thread has faded out and the first post stands out starkly from the background noise.

Either you knew this kind of one-liner would get a rise out of 'Pool supporters, or you're naive enough to justify SlickRic's warning to stay out of the thread. Either way, the post warranted a warning. That it triggered a ban is unfortunate, but that's something only you are responisble for. The abuse you got in return saw some moderator action too, but the reality is the mods don't need people stirring the pot in there so that posters are goaded into responding.

The yellow card was warranted, IMO, and therefore upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement