Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 MMI upgrade

Options
  • 17-04-2015 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hey

Have 2011 A6, old model. Has MMI with Sat Nav installed. I checked the version and listed below. From what I can see the previous owner has not updated since car was bought. Have checked on websites and there seems to be a bit of confusion in regards if you can do the updates yourself or if you need Audi to do the updates. Just wondering has anyone done these updates?

There was mention on other forum of checking https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal but I am not sure what manufacturer/model you are supposed to pick to see if there is free updates?

Audi seem very expensive to do update, €300+ so just wondering if cheaper option available.

Software Version
    Hnav_EU_K0206_3_D1

Nav database version
    8R0060884N ECE 5.12.5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

I tackled mine and upgraded myself. From 2012 firmware and maps to 2014. I have 2015 maps too but not completed the upgrade to that yet.

All the detail came from here http://gpsunderground.com/forum/car-navi-system/car-gps-systems/audi/

There's a number of different types of MMI mine is BNav so no hdd. I've got sd card slots so upgraded that way and the maps are stored and accessed from one card. HNav is hdd based right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Tazium wrote: »
    I tackled mine and upgraded myself. From 2012 firmware and maps to 2014. I have 2015 maps too but not completed the upgrade to that yet.

All the detail came from here http://gpsunderground.com/forum/car-navi-system/car-gps-systems/audi/

There's a number of different types of MMI mine is BNav so no hdd. I've got sd card slots so upgraded that way and the maps are stored and accessed from one card. HNav is hdd based right?

Thanks for advice.....is there a way to check which model sat nav is installed?

Mine has the SD slots as well, dont think it has HDD either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ok done a bit of research and looks like my MMI has HDD installed. It is Audi MMI 3g High

Now to figure out how to upgrade the system

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deano59

Hi - anyone got a direct link to a guide showing how to upgrade the satnav?

Is there any danger in doing in yourself? Could you brick it or is it straight forward enough?

Any advice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Hi,

Just wondering if you manged to upgrade your MMI?
    Need to do the same, but seems daunting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

Have a 132 A5 Sportback and would like to update the Sat NAV / MMI

Any one got any ideas on how to complete this with out calling to Audi
    Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

tech wrote: »
    Have a 132 A5 Sportback and would like to update the Sat NAV / MMI

Any one got any ideas on how to complete this with out calling to Audi
    Tks

I've managed to upgrade it myself using SD cards.

Paid a company to guide me to the correct firmware and detailed instructions. Small amount but I wouldn't take the risk unless you know exactly what you're doing.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Has anybody got the above to work?

I am downloading now and going to try and install in my A6 later on sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mirw78

Hi, I have bought my A6 (2008) recently and it came with original maps from 2007. It does not have even my town on them correctly. I have managed to buy cheap enough update from 2017 on eBay, but my DVD does not open. As far as I read on some Audi forums it has to be enabled by either Audi garage or someone who had the proper gear.

They say:

"It's locked, you need to use VAG COM to change the adaptation channel

Channel 068: Ejection Lock
    0 = Eject Button active
    1 = Eject Button inactive (Anti-Theft)

Your dealer could unlock it for you as well."

Do I have to go to Audi dealer to enable eject button and pay most likely some serious $$ for it or there are people you can recommend who can do that cheaper?

I would appreciate any help.

Kind Regards

mirw

• Advertisement

Just called Audi in Sandyford, they want to charge €100 for inserting my own DVD into the DVD drive in the booth and if they have to order maps from Germany it will be €350, and I have to leave the car with them for at least 1 day... another thing is the closest free slot they have for 12th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Thats not an awful price for a main dealer, an independent with VCDS would likely charge 50 or so for using your own cd. Thats about what we charge anyway for similar services.... Ebay cd is not guaranteed to work though.

Thank you rex-x for your reply,
    it is not really the price, as you said €100 is not a huge money, but the whole fuss on leaving car for a day or two where we all know that unlocking DVD is 10-15min job and upgrading is another 15min. If that won't work of the dvd I have then it is even less than that; so why do I have to give my car for 2 days? I need my car for work and personal life therefore if I have to rent something for these 2 days that extra cost again.

I'll research another options as in these days(mobile phones, google maps, etc) buit in sat nav is not something you can't live without, but I was thinking if I have it why won't I keep it up to date anyway.

Thank you for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭deezell

If your car has an SD card slot,
    Go to my.audi.com
    Register.
    Select My Vehicles, select car, select Features.
    Scroll down to Map updates.
    Download software to pc or laptop. It must have a full size SD card reader built in or plugged in to write the new maps to.
    Install the SD card in your vehicle’s MMI under Menu -> Setup MMI -> System update. Then select your memory card.
    Apparently 5 updates are free, not based on car age. I'm assuming it works even if you dont have the Audi connect feature on your menu. Its safe to assume that Audi never do this during a service unless asked, so if you have a reasonably recent car it was probably never updated, certainly not 5 times. Have mine only a week, so will get around to this when i get an SD card reader for pc. From the MyAudi site;

Map update
    The Audi connect map update service keeps the map on your navigation system up-to-date at all times

Further information
    digital road map, Europe version 2018/2019

Download installation software
    The first five updates for the Audi connect map update service are free of charge. You will need a Java-enabled device with integral SD card reader.

Additional information
    You can download the latest map updates here and then install them in your vehicle using an SD card. You can download and install updates as many times as you like. The first five updates are free of charge. The maps are generally updated every six months.

During the installation of a new map update, the map package currently installed in your vehicle’s MMI will be overwritten. The currently installed version is also indicated on the MMI.

Alternatively, you can have your Audi partner perform the map update (costs may apply).

Installation instructions
    Download the installation software for your laptop or desktop computer.
    Use the installation software to download the desired map update to an SD card (miniSD and microSD cannot be read).
    Install the SD card in your vehicle’s MMI under Menu -> Setup MMI -> System update. Then select your memory card.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

Hey, I have a quick question that someone here might know some info. I am based in Ireland & I have bought an Audi A3 & it has a MMI system build in with navigation but the navigation Sat Nav is not "activated". I am just wondering how do I go about getting this activated. It has a SD slot in the glove box so I'm guessing I need to get a SD card, but can I buy one online so do I need to get it programmed or is it best to bring it to an Audi garage (even though I didn't buy it directly from them).

Any information would be greatly appreciated TIA :)

From my own limited knowledge, just because it has a sat nav button on the console and a sat nav 'screen' on the MMI, doesn't necessarily mean that it was installed.

My own car has all of these buttons and settings, but never had the sat nav installed from when it was new. When I enquired about having it done, the expense just wasn't worth it due to the work involved. It was upwards of €1500, i think. I just bought a magnetic yoke for me phone for a tenner and use that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

From my own limited knowledge, just because it has a sat nav button on the console and a sat nav 'screen' on the MMI, doesn't necessarily mean that it was installed.

My own car has all of these buttons and settings, but never had the sat nav installed from when it was new. When I enquired about having it done, the expense just wasn't worth it due to the work involved. It was upwards of €1500, i think. I just bought a magnetic yoke for me phone for a tenner and use that instead.

Thanks for the reply. Oh really its not worth the while so if its so expensive.... What is the magnetic yoke??

Thanks for the reply. Oh really its not worth the while so if its so expensive.... What is the magnetic yoke??

Car Phone holder that that your phone just sticks to as phone generally has a metal panel inside. There are also cool ones that have the wireless charging built in, so phone doesn't go flat while the display is constantly lit while using nav.

Old thread I know, but if anyone out there with an Mib2 media equipped A6, A7 etc. from as early as 2015 would like free Android auto and Carplay upgrade, then maps upgrade after, start here.

Full Google maps on Android auto, on your screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 MuchoTrails

Going to check this out. Would be a god send to have android auto. I've a 2015 Audi A6 so fingers crossed it will be suitable version to update.

Advertisement