Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber windows

Options
  • 09-10-2007 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi all. My new build is after being plastered inside and out, has anyone got any tips on how to clean the plaster from the timber windows, I have most of it off but there is a residue in the grain in places, im being quite carefull as they were pretty expensive.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was going to move this to DIY but lets see what solutions are offered here (I just love the puns :D )

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Move it to the woodcrafts forum where the experts are.....;)

What type of windows, timber type, finished or unfinished or pre finished, laquer, oil, or varnish ect. Sorry for the questions , need all the info, to find a remedy.

If the residue is in the grain, either the windows are un finished , or the existing finish is damaged, allowing the plaster to enter the grain. Is there any sign of staining, or burning from the lime in the plaster. How long has the window surfacew been covered. Solutions range from cleaning with a soft tooth brush, soft brass wire brush used on suede, or the more drastic oxalic crystals if there is evidence of iron oxide staining normally found with oak timber and contact with water and iron.

Technically as this has absolutely nothing to do wiith"construction ......planning ", it would be more at home in " woodcraft", so I will leave the door open.......;) ;)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Muffler has already said about getting some response here but I'm okay with moving it. I'll leave it to the great man himself. :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote:
    Muffler has already said about getting some response here but I'm okay with moving it. I'll leave it to the great man himself. :D :eek:
    Well, when you put it like that...............moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

White vinegar is great for removing cement and cement based grouts and adhesive residues from most surfaces; that and plenty of soapy water and elbow grease I'd suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

I hope it is ok to bring this back up rather than post a new thread on the same.

We have timber windows that like the OP cost a fair few quid at the time they were put in. We moved in to the house recently and very much to our dismay the frames are covered in specks of concrete down low, where the floors were put in and bits of hardwall and other splatters up higher. The window company we dealt with are no longer around so I am not sure where to turn on this.

I see the previous post said that distilled white vinegar was the way to go, if that is the case would anyone know what sort of mix of vinegar to water I should use to get these bloody stains removed?

It is embarrassing to admit this but I haven't a clue about the make up of the windows. I think I recall the fella we bought them off saying they were hardwood finished but not sure about the type of wood. If it would help I could post a picture later on.

THanks for taking the time to read this

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

if you want a good solution then your best off taking a picture of it and posting it up, that way the lads will be able to identify species, finish and severity of the stained timber. I am unfamiliar with this vinegar solution but I would like to know for future reference if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

carpainter wrote: »
    White vinegar is great for removing cement and cement based grouts and adhesive residues from most surfaces; that and plenty of soapy water and elbow grease I'd suggest.

Plus 1 on carpainter's tip.
    About 2 cups of white vinegar to a gallon of water, mist it on the area in question, rub it off with an old towel. Repeat as necessary.

It's being quite some time since I used this but remember going over the rest of the surface with a damp vinegar and water cloth to avoid the chance of a splotchy surface.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If it's purely concrete and plaster spatters (i.e. lime based) you can us hydrochloric acid :eek:. This is sold under the the label of Path & Patio cleaner (Santrax is one brand name) usually in 5L containers. The spatters just dissolve and will not affect anything which is not lime based - brilliant fun but precautions need to be taken. I would imagine that the vinegar solution works in the same way - vinegar is ascetic acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

Hi again ,

First off thanks a million to Paul, double barrel and slowburner for taking the time to reply.

I tried the water and vinegar ratio as advised by double this evening. Not sure what it says about me that I decided to do that on a Saturday night but it worked out pretty well. I would say I have the downstairs doors and frames done to about 60% of what I would like them to be. They will all need another run though as when the frames dry off I see bits I missed and and getting very particular about them now. The mixture of vinegar and water certainly has taken the 'rough' look off them at this stage. Now when you look at the doors you don't notice the splatters but on close inspection you do. I used a combination of that mix, a towel as advised above, but what was also a huge help was that soft brass wire brush as used on suede etc. That was actually able to remove some splatters that didn't have the solution put on them though seemed less effective on ones that did for some reason.

I will put up a picture tomorrow of doors done and doors not done and maybe that will help also.

On the Santrax note, is that safe to use on finished window frames? It sounds severe though that is purely due to my fear of using anything stronger than water for fear of damaging the windows. I assume if I were to use that Santrax I would just go according the the solution instructions on it rather that using it 'neat'

Thanks again lads, tis a great relief to be making progress on these doors and windows. It was really bothering me the state they were left in as they are kinda the pride and joy of the house!

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Santrax is already a dilute solution. I can't say 100% for sure, that it wouldn't damage the finish because I don't know what the finish is.
    Presumably, there are spatters on your sills too. If they are anything other than concrete - that's where Santrax would be useful.

Why take the risk if the vinegar is doing the job?

Advertisement