Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Everything in the News TV/Newspapers a Lie?

Options
  • 08-04-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Just wondering if anything in the news is true or is it all a big fat lie and the joke is on us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

It's propaganda a majority of the time.
    There is no absolute I would say.
    Propaganda, is using partial truth or truth to convey an idea in a way that it also seems true and is supported by the truths used.

Or a better explanation I looked up.
    propaganda definition. Official government communications to the public that are designed to influence opinion. The information may be true or false, but it is always carefully selected for its political effect.

Since the mass media and government are owned by corporations and rich families(through corporations), I tend to avoid them as much as I can.
    It can be advantageous to read news headlines, once you have the understanding that they have an agenda, and with the purpose of investigating said agenda, but not for making our own opinions. I leave that to research and critical thinking. Often considering a certain researched thing to be so, I still leave room in my mind to remember that I may not have all the facts and to keep an open mind.

If the truth serves their purpose, they will tell the truth. But often it does not serve and it benefits them to add opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yes, all of it is lies. Someone like Alex Jones is much better, his track record speaks for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If a man comes on the news and says conspiracy theories are all true does that mean they are all actually lies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

its all just variations on the truth, depending on who calls the shots.

just look at the differences between sky, bbc and ch4 when covering a story in gaza. its like watching 3 different incidents.

independent, left leaning media can be just as biased as the corporate right unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Just wondering if anything in the news is true or is it all a big fat lie and the joke is on us?

So all the lottery tickets I've rolled into a ball and thrown away thanks to getting the numbers off the news, might have been winning ones. :(

But seriously what news do you mean? Straight forward news as in crime is well, straight forward. I imagine you are more suspicious of international events as in Ukraine and the Middle East.

Personally I tend to accept our own broadcasters plus the BBC as honest reporting. News editors and reporters will invariably put a news worthy slant on items, they are after all in competition with each other.

News in the States tends to be aimed at the demographic that they are hoping to attract, Fox News would be a prime example.

I was amused at some views expressed recently about the large anti water protest in Dublin and RTE's coverage. Do people really think that RTE dances to the tune of whatever Government is in office. What have RTE to gain by understating the numbers that attended, particularly when social media is so accessible.

For me it is these small independent (sic) news feeds on twitter and other mediums that are partisan in their reporting. The journal.ie is in reality just a business that reports news to make money, the standard of its journalism on some stories is just shocking in its banality.

Truly independent news organisations are like hen's teeth these days and for me the BBC is the benchmark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

If it's on Al Jazeera or Fox the yeah, the joke is on ye, tbh all media have their own spin on everything. Even RTE

Alex jones is a fear monger. He doesn't really bring much in the way of solutions and talks over reasonable opinions, if it doesn't serve his agenda at the time.
    I wouldn't trust anyone really....

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Truly independent news organisations are like hen's teeth these days and for me the BBC is the benchmark.

seriously? they're complicit in covering up one of the biggest child abuse scandals in modern times and they continuously report an extreme right wing, pro israel agenda. they are the state mouthpiece, i'd trust sky news before i'd trust the bbc... and i tend to treat sky news like a sitcom.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/11243459/The-BBC-is-still-ignoring-evidence-of-a-potential-cover-up-over-Jimmy-Savile.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_BBC#Israeli.E2.80.93Palestinian_conflict (sorry for wiki link)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

It isn't so much that everything on TV is a lie but most TV stations put on their own spin. If you hear something on the news and it interests you, then the best thing to do is to dig a little deeper. Of the top of my head, US and Iran entering into some sort of talks. Hostage crisis, nuclear programme, the Ayatollah all forgotten in the name of "peace and reconciliation" right? Wrong. China is building a superhighway through Asia, the New Silk Road some call it, that threatens US hegemony in the world. The US needs to woo Iran to its side to stop the Chinese in their tracks. Geopolitics. I personally try to avoid all the left wing media (Guardian, BBC) because all they ever talk about is trivial PC b**t like global warming and some group somewhere being oppressed by someone over something while ignoring issues which really need to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Is a lot of news reporting down to spin and editing? On RTE, "Enda Kenny meets EU leaders", yeah, he's the main man. On BBC, "David Cameron meets EU leaders", the usual shot of the relevant person getting out of the Merc for the meet and greet. Each country trying to big up their own participation in whatever meeting/conference/summit of the day.

• Advertisement

that's a mild way of putting it i guess

Not that a big a deal, no, not really. It all boils down to this, you cant believe everything you read in the newspapers. That's not to say you cant believe anything they print. Mixing the truth with a lie is usually the most effective lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Reg'stoy wrote: »

I was amused at some views expressed recently about the large anti water protest in Dublin and RTE's coverage. Do people really think that RTE dances to the tune of whatever Government is in office. What have RTE to gain by understating the numbers that attended, particularly when social media is so accessible.

€180,894,000 in 2012
    The following figures were issued by RTÉ as part of their Annual report 2012.[9] In 2012 RTÉ received in total €180,894,000 in public funding from the licence fee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raidi%C3%B3_Teilif%C3%ADs_%C3%89ireann

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5536/world-s-media-focus-on-scandal-of-child-sex-abuse-by-uk-vips

These guys seem to have their heart in in the right place
    can they be trusted 100% who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The Oxford definition of propaganda states :

Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.

Could conspiracy theories be defined as such?

Saipanne wrote: »

i would consider plenty of aspects of CTs as propaganda. it works both ways.

Saipanne wrote: »
    The Oxford definition of propaganda states :

Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.

Very much so. The more dangerous truth tobe laid bare, the more chance those people hiding it will cover it up with a whole load of half truths and alsoridiculous rumours, toconfuse alltopics. This is the "rabbit hole" often mentioned in the CT world I think.
    People can get sucked in and lose a lot of their critical thinking. I did for a good few years, until i got to know the ground I was walking. Researchign CT's over the years has actually helped me to become more critical in my thinking and more skeptical. But the first stages required the complete opposite :)

I guess that your asking the question something dont seem right to you

I Remember reading years back about JP Morgan buying up 20+ newspapers to spew out propaganda

Second Session
    64th Congress
    Of the United States of America
    U.S. Congressional Record February 9, 1917

“In March, 1915, the J.P. Morgan interests, the steel, ship building and powder interests and their subsidiary organizations, got together 12 men high up in the newspaper world and employed them to select the most influential newspapers in the United States and sufficient number of them to control generally the policy of the daily press in the United States.

“These 12 men worked the problems out by selecting 179 newspapers, and then began, by an elimination process, to retain only those necessary for the purpose of controlling the general policy of the daily press throughout the country. They found it was only necessary to purchase the control of 25 of the greatest papers. The 25 papers were agreed upon; emissaries were sent to purchase the policy, national and international, of these papers; an agreement was reached; the policy of the papers was bought, to be paid for by the month; an editor was furnished for each paper to properly supervise and edit information regarding the questions of preparedness, militarism, financial policies and other things of national and international nature considered vital to the interests of the purchasers.

http://yourdaddy.net/2010/06/27/j-p-morgan-interests-bought-25-of-americas-leading-newspapers-and-inserted-their-own-editors-in-order-to-control-the-media/

If you find this credible

That was 100 years ago what do you think they control now

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭darrenw5O94

I guess i meant the news channels and newspapers on the foreign stories.

The list could be endless. :)

Was the Boston Bomb real (with the wheelchair dude pic on the front pages with no legs)?
    Was the Sandy Hook shooting real?
    Did a passenger plane hit the Pentagon on 9/11?
    Did the 2 atomic bombs in japan in WWII actually go off?
    Were the London 7/7 bombings a hoax?
    Have the CIA actually got spy satalites orbiting the planet?
    Is there really a US war in the Middle East?
    Was Sadam Hussein actually the leader of Iraq?
    Are ISIS a fake terrorist organisation controlled by the US?
    IS the Ebola a scare mongering hoax?
    Was the Bird Flu real?
    Osama Bin Laden assination by US, hoax or true?
    Are Nuclear bombs real or fake? (the Middle East pantomine based on these weapons)
    IS the International Space Station real?
    IS space travel actually possible?
    Did Dinosaurs exist......ever?

They are main topics in the international news over the years, but even a lot of everyday stories on news channels and national papers is severly slanted in some way.

I guess i meant the news channels and newspapers on the foreign stories.

The list could be endless. :)

Was the Boston Bomb real (with the wheelchair dude pic on the front pages with no legs)?
    Was the Sandy Hook shooting real?
    Did a passenger plane hit the Pentagon on 9/11?
    Did the 2 atomic bombs in japan in WWII actually go off?
    Were the London 7/7 bombings a hoax?
    Have the CIA actually got spy satalites orbiting the planet?
    Is there really a US war in the Middle East?
    Was Sadam Hussein actually the leader of Iraq?
    Are ISIS a fake terrorist organisation controlled by the US?
    IS the Ebola a scare mongering hoax?
    Was the Bird Flu real?
    Osama Bin Laden assination by US, hoax or true?
    Are Nuclear bombs real or fake? (the Middle East pantomine based on these weapons)
    IS the International Space Station real?
    IS space travel actually possible?
    Did Dinosaurs exist......ever?

They are main topics in the international news over the years, but even a lot of everyday stories on news channels and national papers is severly slanted in some way.
    Well we can put our opinions out there i guess, but thatis all theywill be, even facts are not 100%. The Sun is larger than the earth, apparently. But I haven't been there to check and I could be living ina matrix for all I know and you lot are just robots :p
    why do you torture me so!

On those questions I throw out my generalopinion, but some I am still not really sure. That is the power of progadanda. You may never know in some cases....

Boston bombing... I think mayhave been false flag and may have happened, but was purely a distraction tactic for somethign else that I have not discovered or bothered to find out. Probably some legislation in congress or something of that nature. Keeps the news stations and people watching busy and entertained with fear and fascination.

Sandy hook, probably real, may be fake, again may not matter, either way it was most likely a tactic to ban certain guns or to distract once again. Disrupting investigations and messing them up to keep the controversy going..

9/11 pentagon...hmm there is a whole forum in the sub section dedicated to the 9/11 topic. It goes round in circles and still probably not solid answers. One reason to encourage it to go around in circles, argueing over individual incidents, is to distract from the big picture. The realquestion is who benefits the most. Bam! mystery solved, next please haha

2 atomic bombs in Japan. Never researched it. I personally just consider it to be so. Well at least one I would think. It's hard to fake something that big I think. But an interesting thought all the same.

7/7 bombings, I think happened and were a false flag, used to helpmotivate the british to continue the war in the middle east when spirits were falling and people were beginning to protest about the legitimacy of the current war. I think it happened around 2005, Britain had already done iraq at that stage I think.. Man that was a long time ago already ^^

Cia satellites.. possibly! I haven't been keeping count of their rockets anyway.. Wouldn't put it passed them.

US war in middle east? Pretty sure they are currently killing people right now and on a daily basis.

Sadam leader? Nah I doubt it personally. i don't think there are leaders as the world likes to think.There are puppets wholook like leaders and act like dictators.But theyare not thatpowerfull compared to the people who fund them and fund the US empire etc. Saddam was a puppet dictator who was used and thrown away.

ISIS fake? Half true I think. I would think the seeds were planted by some foreign group, seeking to destablilize the region. It is handy to recruit locals through their belief systems and turn them on their own people and others. It allows the foreign armies to invade under the guise of peace keeping.
    Among intellectuals in the world political scene, this is something that is generally considered the case I would think. It seems pretty damn obvious after the couple of test runs in the past..

Ebola hoax? I reckon its a real virus. Possibly manufactured. The idea the latest incident was a hoax seems alsovery plausible. A good way to sell medication and create a panic for countries to stock upon useless medications. It's nearly always business related..

Bird flu I think real, but just another flu strain.

Bin laden, looks like a hoax to me, his family was very friendly with the bush family I think. And his replacement didn't look anything like him when Fox news and CNN represented him on TV some time later. It was a different person then. He was most likely already well away.

Nukes are real I am sure. The pantomime I thinkis partly real and partly for show. There is whatthe media is allowed to hear and say and whatis going on in the background regarding money, oil based on currencies and alliances regarding all this.
    If the Americans don't get a foot into the middle east, china and Russia will tag team it themselves and split it between them..
    Israel is a convenient thorn( for the US) in the middle easts side in regards to this I guess.

Space station real? I think so. Why not? They can get planes into orbit for sure, a couple of rockets to bring up parts and you can imagine it possible to orbit a station. Quite an achievement though!

Space Travel.. I think it is possible to get outside out atmosphere, but I am unsure on the truth regaridng dangerous radio or gamma waves(or whatever it is) that may make it impossible to go far as organic life forms as complex as humans If they exist in such a way... I hold some small tiny doubts too though..

Dinosaurs. Yes, it adds up in my view. Not a weird question either. I am more curious about giant humans! Most likely hoaxs, but that smallpart of me that loves fantasy and the intrigue wants to believe there were humans over 10-15 feet tall :D

Phew!. over and out! if my typing seems bad, it's because my spacebar is half broken and I am dyslexic lol

Torakx, that was a good read. You actually agreed with most of my suspicions. :)

• Advertisement

I would like to believe the RT channel, but its the Russian version of US tv :)

I would like to believe the RT channel, but its the Russian version of US tv :)
    That's the kind of reply I like to hear :D

"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order." -Carl Jung

If there are similar patterns in both sides propaganda, it might be possible to take away new information, either discounting the common factors or applying a pattern to them, where new/extended common factors can be drawn up.
    So I see some use for propaganda. It's kind of a practice in decryption.
    If you watch that recent film about the guy who broke the enigma code, you will see an example of what I mean(when they finally get the key factor). I don't want to let any spoilers out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,810 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I prefer to think, of this generation at least, it is still the sanctuary of comedy to speak truths to us. Just as the way it was in Shakespearean times, now that I think of it, and still now.

When Jon Stewart can't say something, he's usually good about pointing out when he might be getting censored by Viacom. John Oliver thuswhile seems to have the run of HBO at the moment - it seems obvious that part of his contract stipulates that his segments be available to public domain via youtube. His discussions are almost wholly geared at waking up the American audience to problems we have allowed to exist for decades - it's like he's that houseguest you invited over because you thought "what the hell why not, he's british" and he asked you "what the bloody fcuk is growing in your sink? You should get up and find some Lysol."

Like most experiments doesn't the observation affect the result. Those who think that news reporting is biased in a hide the truth kind of way, will invariably see it as such and those who don't (like me) will not think it is. Your political or social leaning will change the way you view the news as reported.

As I said in an earlier post, all news stories be they print or broadcast are under editorial review and control. If we use Fox news in the states as an example, they report to a certain demograph, as in those tending to the right and republican. They report news that is of an interest to that group and MSNBC will cover the rest. They both know their audience, are they lying in their reporting; or just choosing the stories and the coverage they will give them.

I stand over my earlier post that the BBC (for me) are the benchmark to judge all other mainstream news reporting. Reuters and AP tend to just cover stories and let those who use their services to cherry pick information.

When you look at the shear size of the BBC news group as in regional and the world service, it seems that to put a particular slant on news stories would be difficult enough considering the shear amount of editors and reporters to influence.

I'm composing this reply while watching the RTE News, do I think it is biased; no. Did they cover say the Water protests to some peoples liking, they will probably say no. Is that deliberate by them, well they edit the news so yes, but to effect public opinion; well again no in my opinion. If they are controlled by the Government, I would imagine much more stories on violent protests been shown to turn middle Ireland against the No water groups.

I trust RTE and the BBC to report news to be as factual as is editorially possible, I watch Fox News for their comedic value. I have to laugh when the alex jones website claims to be a 'news' site when it is as biased as is humanly possible. I'm sure people will have their own news sites etc that they view to be unbiased.

I think the only unbiased news site I can think of right now is Waterford Whispers.
    Reg'Stoy, I think you are too close to the BS to see it. I can't even watch RTE in a sarcastic manor any more. It's so bad it isn't funny. Granted CNN and FOX can actually be funny once in a while.
    I guess RTE propaganda is effective, if I find it too dry haha

Torakx wrote: »
    I think the only unbiased news site I can think of right now is Waterford Whispers.
    Reg'Stoy, I think you are too close to the BS to see it. I can't even watch RTE in a sarcastic manor any more. It's so bad it isn't funny. Granted CNN and FOX can actually be funny once in a while.
    I guess RTE propaganda is effective, if I find it too dry haha

Who do you trust for news, and would you have an example of a story that differed over the different news mediums. Was the reporting untrue, or did they not cover it to your liking.

Honestly I don't trust anyone for news.
    I don't use newspapers or tv. So I only have internet news and only if I have facebook open. I see gossip and then research anything interesting.
    I might see a RT news report on my feed from friends likes or as I mentioned waterford whispers(the best source I have found for news) or some other news site.
    I only need to hear what the story or situation was, where it was, in order to research it.
    I usually consider all new sites to be ignorant to the global situation with the take over or else compliant and willfully ignorant.
    I guess I will have to stick with Waterford Whispers if I had to make a choice on a news source I "trust".

With regard stories I think you only have to join a water charges protest groupon facebook to get allthe news you need about just how crooked RTE are compared to Waterford Whispers. It seems apt to me, that in such a backwards world, one of the only honest mainstream news sites is made for satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

You know that Waterford Whispers is a satire site, right?

So...their stories are just as "made-up" as any others.

• Advertisement

Hoop66 wrote: »
    You know that Waterford Whispers is a satire site, right?

So...their stories are just as "made-up" as any others.

pretty sure he knew that when he posted it in quotation marks :)

Advertisement