Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i price a webdesign?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

Can anyone here give me an idea on how much to charge for a web site.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How long is a piece of string?

What are you required to do with the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭polishpaddy

Hi Aidan,
    I made the website already.So far it's my second site.I've no idea how much to charge.It has 4 pages all html and css.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How long did it take you? Pick an hourly rate and multiply by that.

Hi i pm'd you the site if you don't mind looking for a few seconds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hi Aidan,
    I made the website already.So far it's my second site.I've no idea how much to charge.It has 4 pages all html and css.

That's part of the work, and sounds small, but how much work did you have to put into those 4 pages ? Designing, sourcing images, resizing them, testing in different browsers, etc ?

Pick a fair hourly rate, mulitiply it by the time, and then give a variance of + or minus 20%, depending on how much you value your time vs how much it was a hobby/learning curve (which, considering you made it without agreeing a price, I presume it is).

• Advertisement

That's part of the work, and sounds small, but how much work did you have to put into those 4 pages ? Designing, sourcing images, resizing them, testing in different browsers, etc ?

Pick a fair hourly rate, mulitiply it by the time, and then give a variance of + or minus 20%, depending on how much you value your time vs how much it was a hobby/learning curve (which, considering you made it without agreeing a price, I presume it is).

Hi Liam,

It took me over 40 hours i would say.I spent 20 hours ontop of the 40 researching on such things as typography content layouts and colours etc.www."""""".com
    The 2 images on the main page will be changed when the client takes photo's for it.
    Any idea how much you would charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

To be honest, having browsed the site, I'm not sure you could bill 40 hours at even €5 for the content visible there. I realise you spent 60 hours working on the site, but you may have to write a lot of that time off as gaining experience, because there is only, maybe, a couple of hours worth of code there.

Donny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Donny5 wrote: »
    To be honest, having browsed the site, I'm not sure you could bill 40 hours at even €5 for the content visible there. I realise you spent 60 hours working on the site, but you may have to write a lot of that time off as gaining experience, because there is only, maybe, a couple of hours worth of code there.

Donny
    Id agree with this. From the looks of the source something like
    Dreamweaver was used, which means that lot of the code is done for you.

I'd price it at about €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You're still learning and what you've done is good for your second site, but obviously quite different from a seasoned professional.

As a result, I'd say something like €2/300 would seem reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

It's not Dreamweaver, it's HAPedit 3.1, which isn't WYSIWYG. €200 would be expenisive, but I'm sure you could get away with it. On the other hand, outsourcing this online would probably cost less than 50 dollars.

• Advertisement

I coded it by hand in dreamweaver.
    I don't really have anymore content to put in there.I learnt alot which is great. So around 200 euros plus vat etc sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

are you registered to charge VAT?

Yes I am why? Do you want a site done too?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

it seemed strange to me that someone who can't price a job is registered to charge VAT for it, that's all

Thanks for your concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Donny5 wrote: »
    It's not Dreamweaver, it's HAPedit 3.1, which isn't WYSIWYG. €200 would be expenisive, but I'm sure you could get away with it. On the other hand, outsourcing this online would probably cost less than 50 dollars.

I would say €270 because you earned it, between the coding and uploading ect.. and glad to see your into the web designing! high5!

ps: remember it was only a 4 page site...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

What does it matter how much time you put into making it, i mean by that is if you've spent 40 hours i hope it looks good and does what is wanted and the customer is happy about it or you could spend that 40 hours making it look like crap. You said yourself there was a learning curve but you have to learn this to make websites, are you going to punish this guy because of this, and then charge cheaper for the next site because you're using what you learnt and already know. The main thing you should be considering when charging for this website is how much do you value your reputation?

honour and peace,
    croga

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads this thread is months old..TIm M-U check the dates when posting :)

Advertisement