Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

spock. wrote: »
    Cabaye to Palace is official.

Very interesting. If he's on set pieces (I'd imagine he'll be able to get what he wants considering they've paid £13m for him) and comes in at a nice price, he could be a great 4th midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Paully D wrote: »
    Very interesting. If he's on set pieces (I'd imagine he'll be able to get what he wants considering they've paid £13m for him) and comes in at a nice price, he could be a great 4th midfielder.

I think Punch will be reluctant to give up his set pieces, mabye Jedinak/Murray will give up pens. I'm going to predict 7/7.5m in FPL

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that on Saturdays with no early game that the deadline will be 14:00? That'll be a torturous couple of extra hours to ponder ill advised gambles and points hits.

Yep, that's correct. Deadline is 1 hour before the first game of the gameweek. So 2pm for 3pm weeks, 11:45am for 12:45pm weeks.

Quite annoying for people who go to the games. At least with the 11:30 deadline it was get up an hour or so beforehand to ponder any last minute changes/set the team and then out for pints before kick off. With the 2pm deadline it increases the chances drink-fuelled bad FPL decisions, making mistakes while in a rush waiting on last minute team news and not being able to relax until the deadline has passed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I think Punch will be reluctant to give up his set pieces, mabye Jedinak/Murray will give up pens. I'm going to predict 7/7.5m in FPL

There's a good few options in that price range:
    Henderson
    Milner
    Siggy
    De Jong
    (to name just a few).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,343 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cabaye for 7.5 or under is almost a no-brainer IMO.

I was thinking he'd probably be £7.5m too, but for that price I'd actually rather go with Sigurdsson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What's the Watford back 4.

It's very hard to say with the new manager in now.

As far as I know, it is the policy of the club to play 3-5-2, which is what they played for the majority of last season, and since the Pozzos' took over running the club.

Generally last season, the back three would be made up from Hoban, Ekstrand, Angella and Cathcart. With Angella the linchpin. However, they have signed Sebastian Prodl from Bremen, who is an Austrian international, and Jose Holebas from Roma, who is a Greek international, so I really can't say what the back 3 will be at this stage!

To be honest, I wouldn't be looking at value in any of their defenders, they wouldn't be the tightest at the back. Their philosophy is based on counter attacking, and I honestly think they are well equipped for the PL this year, and think by the end of the season, they will stay up with 7-8 points to spare (not sure if that's blind optimism and bias though).

The best value in the Watford team, looking at the prices, is Ighalo at 5m. As a cheap third striker, he is a great option. He was on fire in the second half of the season and scored around 20 goals from Christmas onwards, which was when you could see he had settled in!

They played their first pre season game last night against a non league team, winning 4-0, with Ighalo scoring twice in the first half. They played a 4-2-3-1 formation, so could be moving away from 3-5-2, which will be disappointing.

Will Anya play regularly enough to be a reliable 5th mid? I saw he got hauled off a few times the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Invincible

What's the story with these FSA league 1,2 and championship leagues. Do you qualify by your OR last season or what's the criteria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Will Anya play regularly enough to be a reliable 5th mid? I saw he got hauled off a few times the end of the season

I think it was obvious to see that Jokanovic didn't trust his defensive responsibilities at the end of last season, and if looking to consolidate a lead, he would be taken off.

However, looking at the team that started last night, he may have been playing right back. They play Sevilla on July 31st, I think that is when you'll see what Flores considers to be their strongest 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Invincible wrote: »
    What's the story with these FSA league 1,2 and championship leagues. Do you qualify by your OR last season or what's the criteria?

You have to enter the qualifying league that will start after sign ups are done in the main leagues. People in the leagues now have been playing for a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/FFScout/status/619478506032996352

Cabaye comes in at only 6.5...could be this year's Siggy.

Cabaye comes in at only 6.5...could be this year's Siggy.

Well that is interesting. If he can get a free set pieces he could be golden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

That's a great price on Cabaye. I was expecting 7.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

there are a LOT of midfield options
    there are not a lot of striker options........

RMT is live on FFS for those with memberships. The old RMT computer still has a lot of love for Kane!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Will be all over Cabaye at 6.5

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Looks like I'm paying the extra 0.5m for Cabaye over Punch. Great price for a proven PL player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Looks like I'm paying the extra 0.5m for Cabaye over Punch. Great price for a proven PL player

That said, Bolasie at the same price was an assist machine last season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

jimmii wrote: »
    You have to enter the qualifying league that will start after sign ups are done in the main leagues. People in the leagues now have been playing for a couple of years.

So, we newbies will have to look out for a Conference thread?

So, we newbies will have to look out for a Conference thread?

Yep basically! Its done by rank in that league (the others are all H2H) last season it was pretty dam competitive I think you were looking at around 4k to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Sorry if this is a little big. Loving the discussion so far, keep it coming.

Screenshot_1.png

Okay so my reasoning's:

GK

Schmeichel (4.5) - Good opening fixture against a team that gets it harder to score than Burnley.

Fabianski (5.0) - Will be more my first choice starter. Finished top of the score list last season. Most crucially, they have the same manager as last.

Thoughts: Think your all mad going for goalkeepers at 5.5. These are from teams who are lucky to make a save in a match. Pantilimon got me 5 points near the end with 9 saves and Sunderland still conceded. To add, if Pantilimon & Mannone added their points total they would have finished on 154 points, so top.

DF

Ivanovic (7.0) - Best defender in the league. In the last third of the season he must have been told to go forward more because everytime I watched Chelsea from then on he was like a winger. Got most of his assists at that time.

Smalling (6.0) - I don't see United conceding in the first 3 games. Smalling is the first choice defender to partner whoever comes in Ramos/Otamendi etc. Scored 4 goals in 1800+ mins. That's incredible.

Bellerin (5.5) - Jury's still out but if he's a guaranteed starter he's in. Bombs forward, has a great strike, and decent run of games against non-lethal attack-minded teams to start

O'Shea (4.5) - Sunderland are very solid under their new manager. Go on Johnny.

Baker (4.0) - Cheapie

Thoughts: I always go with top teams to spearhead my defence at the start until I see which teams are going to have good cheap alternatives. I would have broken that rule for Tony Pulis' West Brom, but their opening fixtures are crap.

MD

Hazard (11.5) - Speaks for itself.

Walcott (C) (9.0) - On fire towards the end of last season. Will probably start as the lone striker. Jury's out on him as captain.

Milner (7.0) - Is going to play in a central role like he did with Aston Villa where he ran the show. 7.0 is a steal for me.

Ritchie (6.0) - It was a toss-up between himself and Wilson up front for who would I take from Bournemouth, but I went for him after Paully D's comments. You can't have those stats without a manager telling his team to play through him.

Anya (4.5) - If he starts would be a fantastic cheap option

FD

Rooney (10.5) - Played half the season last in a holding midfield role. He's the main man now with Falcao and RVP going. No brainer.

Bony (8.5) - Excellent City cover until the headache of Aguero's return. Will start ahead of Dzeko if they play with one up top.

Sakho (6.5) - Nice fixtures after Arsenal away. Will play as the lone striker with Carroll out injured.

Feel free to critique! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Well that is interesting. If he can get a free set pieces he could be golden.

Problem for me is that if you are building your initial team around the first 4 to 5 weeks till wildcard Palace have awful fixtures. Arsenal and City at home and Chelsea away in first 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Screenshot_1.png

Okay so my reasoning's:

GK

Schmeichel (4.5) - Good opening fixture against a team that gets it harder to score than Burnley.

Fabianski (5.0) - Will be more my first choice starter. Finished top of the score list last season. Most crucially, they have the same manager as last.

Thoughts: Think your all mad going for goalkeepers at 5.5. These are from teams who are lucky to make a save in a match. Pantilimon got me 5 points near the end with 9 saves and Sunderland still conceded. To add, if Pantilimon & Mannone added their points total they would have finished on 154 points, so top.

DF

Ivanovic (7.0) - Best defender in the league. In the last third of the season he must have been told to go forward more because everytime I watched Chelsea from then on he was like a winger. Got most of his assists at that time.

Smalling (6.0) - I don't see United conceding in the first 3 games. Smalling is the first choice defender to partner whoever comes in Ramos/Otamendi etc. Scored 4 goals in 1800+ mins. That's incredible.

Bellerin (5.5) - Jury's still out but if he's a guaranteed starter he's in. Bombs forward, has a great strike, and decent run of games against non-lethal attack-minded teams to start

Baker (4.0) - Cheapie

Thoughts: I always go with top teams to spearhead my defence at the start until I see which teams are going to have good cheap alternatives. I would have broken that rule for Tony Pulis' West Brom, but their opening fixtures are crap.

MD

Walcott (C) (9.0) - On fire towards the end of last season. Will probably start as the lone striker. Jury's out on him as captain.

Milner (7.0) - Is going to play in a central role like he did with Aston Villa where he ran the show. 7.0 is a steal for me.

Ritchie (6.0) - It was a toss-up between himself and Wilson up front for who would I take from Bournemouth, but I went for him after Paully D's comments. You can't have those stats without a manager telling his team to play through him.

FD

Rooney (10.5) - Played half the season last in a holding midfield role. He's the main man now with Falcao and RVP going. No brainer.

Bony (8.5) - Excellent City cover until the headache of Aguero's return. Will start ahead of Dzeko if they play with one up top.

Sakho (6.5) - Nice fixtures after Arsenal away. Will play as the lone striker with Carroll out injured.

Solid side :) I'd possibly downgrade Smalling and upgrade Milner or Baker. Baker will just kill you as you won't be able to replace him.There is a RMT thread however :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

SlickRic wrote: »
    Cabaye for 7.5 or under is almost a no-brainer IMO.

He's 6.5 but I wouldn't put him in the no brainer category, he had an explosive period towards the end of his time with Newcastle but his stats with PSG are dreadful and that's in a team that scored lots of goals. I'll reserve judgement until I see him line out, Palace won't be relying on him to provide creativity, they should have an even spread of goals and assists and I still prefer Puncheon for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,343 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cabaye is utterly mental value at 6.5.

he won't ever be rotated, and I'll be shocked if he's not on set pieces too.

Screenshot_1.png

Okay so my reasoning's:

GK

DF

Baker (4.0) - Cheapie

MD

FD

Looks like a good team - well thought out.

The point you make about the GKs, and their save points, is interesting. You're right that they should pick up more save points due to number of shots being hit at them. However the other way of looking at it is for 0.5 more, you are getting a keeper from a top team. Those teams should pick up more clean sheets than the other teams. For example, you could have Courtois + Williams, for 1.5m less than Fabianski + Ivan. I know you won't get the same attacking points, but that 1.5m could be invested into your midfield, where it think Ritchie could be a weak link, especially when you see some of the players available for 6.5/7/7.5m.

Up front I like Rooney and Sahko. Not sure about Bony, as I don't see him as an option for more than a week or two, and I don't like starting the season with players that I know will be dropped/rotated regularly.

Ps. I like when posters outline their reasons for picking each player, rather than just posting the team - makes it much easier to give feedback!

SlickRic wrote: »
    Cabaye is utterly mental value at 6.5.

he won't ever be rotated, and I'll be shocked if he's not on set pieces too.

Presuming he gets set pieces, and coming in as a £13m signing I'd imagine Puncheon will be told to go and jump, he may well find his way into my side when I wildcard.

It looks like we'll need 2 starting midfielders ranging from around £7m or less if we're to have Sanchez and Aguero.

Aguero owned by 24.1% of people! Hopefully this % stays the same til the deadline, then he drops before his return!

Sanchez owned by 20%

He's (Cabaye) a lovely player no doubt and will probably be an ever present, however his stats with PSG suggest he's unlikely to maintain a high output over a season, are my stats that he has scored one league goal in 39 League appearances for a mistake, they blew away the rest of the league and scored a huge amount of goals.
    If he was on penalties I would rethink but if I was putting together a team now I'd leave him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He's (Cabaye) a lovely player no doubt and will probably be an ever present, however his stats with PSG suggest he's unlikely to maintain a high output over a season, are my stats that he has scored one league goal in 39 League appearances for a mistake, they blew away the rest of the league and scored a huge amount of goals.
    If he was on penalties I would rethink but if I was putting together a team now I'd leave him off.

You'd have to expect Pardew to play him in the same role that he had such huge success in at Newcastle though.

At PSG, he was a small fish in a big pond. Now he's back to being a big fish in a small pond like he was at Newcastle.

I don't think you can read too much into his time at PSG, he wasn't a regular starter. I'll wait to see how Palace line up in preseason, but if Cabaye is No 10 role he's definitely in my side set pieces or not.

I take all those points but besides that golden period he had which I think was the middle of his last season his Newcastle form wouldn't put him in the no-brainer category of FPL options. I have no doubt he'll make an appearance in my team at some stage but like I have said I won't be pencilling him in straight away and thinking about my other 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I don't think you can read too much into his time at PSG, he wasn't a regular starter. I'll wait to see how Palace line up in preseason, but if Cabaye is No 10 role he's definitely in my side set pieces or not.

I'm very interested in him, and in Palace especially if they get a decent striker, preferably Austin.

But the fixtures mean its not worth the risk till we see how they line up etc.

FHFC wrote: »
    I'm very interested in him, and in Palace especially if they get a decent striker, preferably Austin.

But the fixtures mean its not worth the risk till we see how they line up etc.

I quite like their first three fixtures, I think there's goals in all of those matches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Looks like a good team - well thought out.

The point you make about the GKs, and their save points, is interesting. You're right that they should pick up more save points due to number of shots being hit at them. However the other way of looking at it is for 0.5 more, you are getting a keeper from a top team. Those teams should pick up more clean sheets than the other teams. For example, you could have Courtois + Williams, for 1.5m less than Fabianski + Ivan. I know you won't get the same attacking points, but that 1.5m could be invested into your midfield, where it think Ritchie could be a weak link, especially when you see some of the players available for 6.5/7/7.5m.

Up front I like Rooney and Sahko. Not sure about Bony, as I don't see him as an option for more than a week or two, and I don't like starting the season with players that I know will be dropped/rotated regularly.

Ps. I like when posters outline their reasons for picking each player, rather than just posting the team - makes it much easier to give feedback!

Thanks for your replies. You've given me another headache ColdHand with this extra 1.5M business, you bastard. Here's to another hour of rejuggling!

Thanks for your replies. You've given me another headache ColdHand with this extra 1.5M business, you bastard. Here's to another hour of rejuggling!

You're welcome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Ogbonna(CB) signs for West Ham from Juve

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Memphis Depay was unveiled today and may be played more centrally and up front.

Depay: "I'm excited about scoring goals and giving assists. I'm a striker."

LVG: "He played striker in the Dutch team and learns very quickly.......He can play in different positions. We have to wait and see in which position he can give the most benefit to the team."

At 8.5 he could be a steal. I'd still expect and hope that a new forward was brought in but this could bode well.

Quotes: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/6-things-learnt-memphis-depays-6042084 (Yes the Mirror, but quotes are quotes I hope :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Memphis Depay was unveiled today and may be played more centrally and up front.

Depay: "I'm excited about scoring goals and giving assists. I'm a striker."

LVG: "He played striker in the Dutch team and learns very quickly.......He can play in different positions. We have to wait and see in which position he can give the most benefit to the team."

At 8.5 he could be a steal. I'd still expect and hope that a new forward was brought in but this could bode well.

Quotes: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/6-things-learnt-memphis-depays-6042084 (Yes the Mirror, but quotes are quotes I hope :pac:)
    he will be in my team anyway at that price and his set piece ability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Ok just re-signed, just as well it's a slow work day as I have already changed my team 10 times already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Probably asked a million times so I apologize, is the Boards league up and running yet?

I take all those points but besides that golden period he had which I think was the middle of his last season his Newcastle form wouldn't put him in the no-brainer category of FPL options. I have no doubt he'll make an appearance in my team at some stage but like I have said I won't be pencilling him in straight away and thinking about my other 14.

Ah Swiper, have a look at those stats:

6 goals and 2 assists in 26 games in 2012-2013. 2
    7 goals and 3 assists in 19 games in 2013-2014 when he left mid season.

Those are good for a 6.5 million midfielder.

Even in his first season, 4 goals and 8 assists in 34 games.

Probably asked a million times so I apologize, is the Boards league up and running yet?

There are quite a few leagues going round. Are you looking for the main free one or one of the other ones? Don't think a big free one is going yet haven't noticed it myself anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

There are quite a few leagues going round. Are you looking for the main free one or one of the other ones? Don't think a big free one is going yet haven't noticed it myself anyway.

Just the Boards free entry league.

Wijnaldum to Newcastle virtually done for £15m. He's having a medical today. He has 56 goals and 23 assists in 152 games for PSV per Wiki. Hopefully he comes in at a nice price because he'd be a cracking option if so IMO.

Just the Boards free entry league.

I'm sure there will be a few knocking about best to just keep an eye out in this thread as we get closer.

Am I the only person that thinks Joel Ward is cracking value at 4.5 million?Pardew's teams are generally good for clean sheets as well.

Krul is the only Newcastle player I'm considering at 4.5 million. I'm waiting to see how McClaren lines them up. IIRC Boro were fairly poor at the back under him.

Anyone know what type of football Derby played last year?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33486125

Delph gone to City. Not sure that will interest too many people...

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33486125

Delph gone to City. Not sure that will interest too many people...

I'm sure his agent is pretty interested in the pay jump he just earnt himself at the expense of his players career!

Advertisement