Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General FPL Chat 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Firmino will be in my team if he's a midfielder also. With Gerrard gone the 3 danger men for 'Pool are Coutinho, Firmino, & Sturridge. With Coutinho's normal stats I'd definitely give Firmino a chance.

Anyone have a timeframe for when the game reboots for the coming season?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Will see what sort of value Firmino comes in at. Don't have full confidence in Liverpool starting well and as we know these sigbings can sometimes take a while to get running.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting stat I noticed looking at the points leaders from last season as an example:

- only 2 of the top 15 goalkeepers were new to the Premier League (Heaton and Forster)

- only 1 of the top 15 defenders were new to the Premier League (Cresswell)

- only 3 of the top 30 midfielders were new to the Premier League (Sanchez, Mane and Tadic)

- however, 12 of the top 30 strikers were new to the Premier League (Austin, Costa, Pelle, Ings, Ulloa, Diouf, Vardy, Ayoze, Sakho, Valencia, Barnes and Falcao)

Obviously one season is nowhere near enough, but would there be anywhere else I can find the top points scorers from previous seasons to identify if there is a trend? Based on the above, it seems if you're going to take a chance on a new signing playing in the Premier League for the first time - up front is where to do it for fantasy football purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

I would be interested to see some stats on that too.

The theory goes along with my own thoughts as well - I think strikers new to the league can benefit from the fact that defenders mightn't know alot about them and they have the element of surprise on their side. I also think this works to the disadvantage of new defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Paully D wrote: »
    - however, 12 of the top 30 strikers were new to the Premier League (Austin, Costa, Pelle, Ings, Ulloa, Diouf, Vardy, Ayoze, Sakho, Valencia, Barnes and Falcao)

Diouf wasn't new to the league. He played with Man United and Blackburn previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Interesting stat I noticed looking at the points leaders from last season as an example:

- only 2 of the top 15 goalkeepers were new to the Premier League (Heaton and Forster)

- only 1 of the top 15 defenders were new to the Premier League (Cresswell)

- only 3 of the top 30 midfielders were new to the Premier League (Sanchez, Mane and Tadic)

Obviously one season is nowhere near enough, but would there be anywhere else I can find the top points scorers from previous seasons to identify if there is a trend? Based on the above, it seems if you're going to take a chance on a new signing playing in the Premier League for the first time - up front is where to do it for fantasy football purposes.

I think this would always be the case due to the way the scoring works in the game. Most teams only play 1 striker so a newly promoted striker if he plays the majority of games and gets 5 or 6 goals will hit 100 pts quite easily. There isn't a huge selection of strikers to pick from we did a draft and your scraping the barrell a bit if you got one of the last picks for striker. We had to pick 1 GK 2 def 2 mid 1 striker there was 20 of us. Then for a def when you consider a c.s will get 4 defs from the 1 team 4 pts each it's going to be next to impossible for a newly promoted team to have a def with one of the highest scores. I'd see it as no real surprise that austin ings would comfortably be in the top 20 scoring strikers and would expect much the same from newly promoted strikers each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Danny Graham isn't new to the league but I expect him to be the new Sergio Aguero, top 30 me arse.:mad:

And he's working his hole off in the off season
    http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/24/could-danny-graham-have-what-it-takes-to-shine-with-sunderland-5253181/

Lemlin will be wishing he could have 11 Danny Grahams next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

West Ham sign Dimitri Payet.
    Payet made more successful through balls than any player in Europe’s top five leagues last season, bar Barcelona star Lionel Messi, and chalked up a phenomenal 17 assists in 36 league appearances for Marseille.

With seven goals to his name too,
    http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2015/June/26-June/Dimitri-Payet-signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

F1ngers wrote: »

Was he the major signing that David Gold told people not to go bed for at 1am this morning!

jimmii wrote: »
    Was he the major signing that David Gold told people not to go bed for at 1am this morning!

No idea.
    But if we can get a striker to latch onto his through balls, we should stave off relegation for another year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Remy is being touted for West Ham. Will definitely have him if he ends up there.

F1ngers wrote: »
    No idea.
    But if we can get a striker to latch onto his through balls, we should stave off relegation for another year.

If he can link up well with Sakho that could work. Remy would be a great signing for West Ham.

Maybe they can find the miracle cure for Carroll!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Wondering if England's dire performances at the u21's recently is going to impact on the form of some of their players ... mainly Ings and more importantly Kane...

... given the fact that he is now very much a known entity unlike the majority of last season, the poor form at the summer tournament, the additional games/less rest this summer, a slightly stuttering end to last season and the huge jump in price means he's not a very attractive option in the first few weeks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Cech to Arsenal is official. The Arsenal defender prices will be interesting

It's getting closer!

5459e8db809108cd47bf0293a3db8b50.png

It's getting closer!

5459e8db809108cd47bf0293a3db8b50.png

That's been going on for a while now. Not long to wait though hopefully!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's usually around the 2nd week of July, be surprised if it was any earlier this year.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It's usually around the 2nd week of July, be surprised if it was any earlier this year.

Season starts a week earlier, so might open up a week earlier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Be watching Jack Butland with Begovic retiring to Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

dahat wrote: »

Yeah hopefully he joins after game is started might keep Butlands price lower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Pearson sacked by Leicester.

spock. wrote: »
    Pearson sacked by Leicester.

And probably favourite to be next permanent manager after last time! Crazy decision.

Sky Sports are reporting Shaqiri to Stoke for £12m. First player on my watchlist this season if it happens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Sky Sports are reporting Shaqiri to Stoke for £12m. First player on my watchlist this season if it happens. :)

Bloody hell that'd be some move for Stoke. I'd expect Siggy-esque returns with added explosive capabilities.

Anymore than 7.5 at an absolute push wouldn't really be viable unless he hit the ground running though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

dahat wrote: »

Ridiculous move for Begovic. He's only 28, he'll be entering the prime of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,825 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shaqiri hasn't done well for a while now. He'll be over priced relative to his value based on that not being well-documented IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

CSF wrote: »
    Shaqiri hasn't done well for a while now. He'll be over priced relative to his value based on that not being well-documented IMO.

He's the typical type of player that Hughes will turn around though e.g. McCarthy, Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Bojan, Arnie....

For a season at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

Payet at West Ham is definitely someone to keep an eye on.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Payet at West Ham is definitely someone to keep an eye on.

Yeh for sure looks decent. Hopefully FPL have missed it and thought that West Ham have gone down the crazy route of signing us Poyet as a player and he is priced at 4m. Fingers crossed!!!

• Advertisement

Player list has been released:
    http://m.premierleague.com/en-gb/players.html

Advertisement