Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Canteen Meals at Home, as Expense

Options
  • 11-06-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'd like to get someone elses' opinion on this and see if it seems reasonable.

As far as I can understand, if I work from home as an employee of a Ltd. company, and the home is the location of that business, I should be able to provide free canteen meals for myself (and any other employees) paid for by the company.

This is how it's stated on the revenue website:

"A taxable benefit does not arise in respect of free or subsidised meals in staff canteens where meals are provided for the staff generally. The facility must be available to all employees."

So that would reasonably cover breakfast (?), lunch and snacks for all employees of the company. Right?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Does your home contain a canteen?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭oghran

It may not have what you could reasonably describe as a 'canteen', but it does of course have a kitchen. I guess that might make all the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

oghran wrote: »
    It may not have what you could reasonably describe as a 'canteen', but it does of course have a kitchen. I guess that might make all the difference?

Bear in mind it's a revenue concession you're relying on; I'd suggest you get their agreement in writing that they are happy to apply it in your case.

(They won't be, but at least you'll have it straight from the horse's mouth...)

Advertisement