Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain an Bhéarla

Options
  • 27-03-2012 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

As Seachtain na Gaeilge/The Week of Irish has ended, I would like to take the chance to remind all Irish speakers that Bliain an Bhéarla/The Year of English starts this week and that you will only have 51 weeks to practise your English. I realise that 51 weeks to speak English is not a lot of time but don’t lose heart – you can do it.

Of course, the most important thing in learning any language is to use it whenever you get a chance. If you are getting a bus or a taxi or something to eat, don’t be afraid to use your “couple of words”. Your pronunciation might not be perfect but people will understand you. And don’t be afraid if your grammar is not the best. English is a language with a lot of grammar which no one pays any attention to. Just batter away with your Béarla and you will be fine.

By Pól Ó Muirí
    Irish Times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I'd say you're on your own with this one OP. Unless maybe you'd like to fill us in on what you think yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've snipped some of the quoted text because Sean Sherlock ruined the internet, and would you like to add an opinion of your own please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

At long last!! A non flirting related thread on AH!!

I have nothing to add btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Mé ach an teanga a labhairt an ghrá.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aimsigh

Fairly sure crediting it to its author and providing a link would scupper any objection Deputy Sherlock would have.

Anyway, I suppose the point of the thread is to remind all those people who 'speak Irish' that don't really speak Irish except maybe a few words in coppers on paddy's day, that a language is not just for christmas/Seachtain na Gaeilge, its for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Verdammte Sprache, Sie hat mich immer verruckt. Gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

i would like an .. uachter.. uh ice cream please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Nil an scammail sa speir.

Erin go bragh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Bhí me RiseToTheTop agus tá me go dti an Corcaigh trathnona.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Beidh ort dhá rud - cumhacht agus nasc idirlín. Mar a dúirt go mbeidh an chumhacht a thagann ó ceallraí agus is féidir leis an nasc idirlín teacht ó ceamara le cárta réamhíoctha.

Bhéarla: OK OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

8 years in National School
    6 in Secondary School (7) if you include Transition Year
    6 years (nearly) going out with a fluent Irish Speaker from Tory Island

Still can't string together more than a sentance, don't think there is much hope for me OP!

An example of how ****ed up Irish is:

I once told my gf's mother and aunt that I had came to Tory on the big penis...

Turns out badgene is boat and budgene in penis

(and yes i know thats not how they are spelt I'm writing it phonetically!)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Deutsch, oder eine andere Weltsprache ist immer mehr nützlich wenn sie mit Irisch im Vergleich sind. Aber das is nur meiner Meinung.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Where To wrote: »
    At long last!! A non flirting related thread on AH!!

I have nothing to add btw

I do... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Aimsigh wrote: »
    As Seachtain na Gaeilge/The Week of Irish has ended

I didn't even know it had started. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

when will irish speakers finally accept that english is the language of Ireland and the Irish people?
    they just keep getting more annoying about this ****

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

when will irish speakers finally accept that english is the language of Ireland and the Irish people?

I know some people find this shocking and culture hating (or whatever) but I really wouldn't care if the Irish language died away. Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if Irish had been forced upon me from a young age but I just don't think it is relevant/useful anymore. I'd much rather be fluent in a European language, comme le francais!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Can we have a useful language instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Learn Chinese Mandarin, currently spoken by a billion people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

biko wrote: »
    Learn Chinese Mandarin, currently spoken by a billion people.
    Yea but only to each other in the vast majority of communication. It's rarely spoken by non Chinese. Quite unlike Spanish, French and English. Plus those languages aren't tonal so a lot easier to learn and understand for non natives. Then we have the written language. Chinese while beautiful with a long history it's objectively speaking gloriously inefficient on that score. I reckon learn Spanish, Portugese or French which would nicely cover your arse in the emerging markets of south America and Africa.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

and actually damaging to the language itself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Scéal seolta, deartháir.

Advertisement