Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop screen freezing

Options
  • 31-01-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

My laptop is around 3 months old and working great except for a propensity to suddenly freeze and the screen stops responding.

This has never happened while playing games, always happens when browsing the net/using word processor etc.

Anyone got any ideas on where to start looking for ways to fix it?
    I've my computer updated etc and drivers seem up to date.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Is it a Dell XPS 1330 by any chance?
    if so, there's a known issue with Nvidia drivers & your motherboard probably needs replacing.
    Follow this link for a warranty update

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/09/12/nvidia-gpu-update-limited-warranty-enhancement-details.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It's an Asus F5SL
    Vista Home Premium
    2gigs Rab
    ATI radeon HD 3470
    Intel Core Duo t5550 1.8GHZ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

mine used to do the same thing.
    acer 5920 had to change graphics card

?

Can you change graphics cards in Asus laptops?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's 3 months old. Take it back, changing the graphics cards on laptops, is a no no, especially on a laptop that's only 3 months old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

?

Find out what card it is:
    right click on desktop/properties/settings.

Asus will have either an ATI or Nvidia GPU.

If Nvidia GPU, some of these have known issues with overheating and you can use this to make a strong argument for replacing it.

http://www.nvidia.com

In either case, the laptop is only 3mths old so it should be covered by warranty so don't mess around with it yourself

It's an ATI Graphics card.

I tried updating the graphics drivers but no luck

Advertisement