Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restarting Laptop

Options
  • 30-01-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi , I have a Philips iQon laptop its old about 3 years , and when i turn it on it just gets to the load screen and goes back to the start and it just keeps going around in circles , there is very important stuff on it that i need

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Try booting it into safe mode,usually when the laptop powers up within the first few seconds you will notice it will say up at the top of the screen press F10 or F11(could be a diffrent F button for you for booting option or BIOS options,you should try access the booting menu and boot the computer into safe mode) were only the bare amount of drivers requierd to run the operating system are called.
    the screen will look funny and the colours will be quiet poor,but hopefully its enough for you to fix the problem or to copy your files incase you have to reinstall the operating system

Or maybe try putting the windows disk into your disk drive,going into your BIOS menu by using the above instructions,look for BOOT SEQUENCE,and reshuffle the order so BOOT FROM DISKETTE is first in the list rather than BOOT FROM HD DRIVE,once you have re arranged the order reboot and the computer should boot from the disk rather than your hard drive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is it the Windows load screen or just the bios screen?

well if you are going to try boot from your WINDOWS CD you will need to go into BIOS menu and edit the BOOT SEQUENCE menu.

If you are going to try boot the computer into safe mode you will press the relevant F key as the computer first begins to load,you will be usually be met by a black screen with white writing that says WINDOWS COMMAND LINE PROMPT,START IN SAFE MODE etc,press start in safe mode and it should boot up hopefully,when you first turn your computer on what options does it give you,look up the top for small white writing.

also i have reinstalled windows on my computers without formatting the harddrive whats this does is,installs a fresh copy of vista/xp but does not mess with your previously saved files,and you can still access them after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

Is it the Windows load screen or just the bios screen?
    The load screen ,
    Before this happened when I was using it, it said something about the opperating system couldnt be found
    Starting in safe mode isnt working either
    Im using xp forgot to say

that dosent sound to good,if you are i unable to get anywhere using the above,i personally would put the windows xp cd in the drive and try reinstalling the operating system over the current version,when i have done this it has never touched my files i had stored on the computer but just installed a fresh copy of xp.its risky,and all depends on how important the files you have on the computer are as theres no garauntee it wont delete your files. If thats not a option you want to try,maybe take it to a pc repair shop? It is much easier for someone to see whats happening when the computer is in front of them. If you want to try and reinstall a fresh copy of XP over your old version and dont have a disk PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ubuntu live cd is the answer. And a usb key.
    Ubuntu Download
    Download the above.
    And follow this How To
    This should enable you to take any files you need off your hard drive onto a usb stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

pieface_ie wrote: »
    that dosent sound to good,if you are i unable to get anywhere using the above,i personally would put the windows xp cd in the drive and try reinstalling the operating system over the current version,when i have done this it has never touched my files i had stored on the computer but just installed a fresh copy of xp.its risky,and all depends on how important the files you have on the computer are as theres no garauntee it wont delete your files. If thats not a option you want to try,maybe take it to a pc repair shop? It is much easier for someone to see whats happening when the computer is in front of them. If you want to try and reinstall a fresh copy of XP over your old version and dont have a disk PM me.

It's not in the slightest bit risky, if you do a Repair Install of XP.

Put in the Windows XP CD, boot from it, and select the repair option. Very straight forward.

Advertisement